Guess these phones are not worth buying.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I think they were one of those phone experiments that was good to try, but turned out to be something the general public didn't want. They did help pave the way for folding phones though... which are becoming mainstream types of devices.

So on the Duo's headstone they can put "A Failed But Important Step in The Birth of The Modern Folding Phone ". I remember when I was using windows phones how the rumoured "Surface Phone" was going to save the windows mobile platform. I never believed the rumours.. but it turned out to be true.. kinda ;) It ended up using the wrong platform and the wrong form factor, but at least Microsoft tried :p

RIP Surface Duo... it was interesting ;)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It was definitely an interesting product. It's too bad sometimes that the world revolves around well-known products like Apple and Samsung. I felt similar about the Essential Phone. Could these products be tweaked so they can work better? Absolutely! But they still had awesome potential.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
the first gen looked classy, the camera bump ruined the second gen phone. I seriously thought about getting the first gen phone at one time but it seems microsoft don't like updating them, there were a lot of bugs, no nfc and no wireless charging. Sure glad I did not get it.

finbaar

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, the Duo will be supported for another year and the Duo 2 for another two. Neither was destined to sell in a large number, and they were kind of ahead of the Android game as it's only with Android 12L that the operating system can do what is required for dual screens.
Will there actually be a 3rd version? Well, they are working on it. Will the third version be dual screens or a folding single? Who knows. Personally, the dual screen second device works much better than a single folding screen as I can be much more productive. Remember that although you can use the Duo and Duo 2 as you only phone, they were designed as companion devices - in other words you carry two phones!
I'll just address the comment about updates. Microsoft has done a superb job with updating the Duo for security patches and bug fixes. OS updates have been delayed until they got it "right", and given how much is still wrong in 12L I'm pleased they waited.