RUMOR? Echo getting 2.3 on August 1st!

n8littlefield

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I called and they can't fix it over the air - does anyone know if I'll have to take it to a Sprint store that says "Repairs" or will any official Sprint store be able to get me set up with a working phone?

jasonkc25

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, mine started going through the upgrade process. Even got the progress bar, about 2/3 the way through I got the 8507 error. Fortunately, it did reboot just fine. Par for course so far. Bummed. Going to remove root and try again. May hit Sprint later today...they better not tell me again there is no update!!!

J

jasonkc25

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Alright, well unrooting made no difference other than it appeared to go through the whole process of trying to update much faster this time. Still got to about 1/2 to 2/3 of the update and failed again. Still able to reboot though.

J

hotbbq

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
Running unrooted and unmodified. Applied the update and now it is stuck at Kyocera logo. Have to take it to Sprint now I guess. Update FAIL.

jasonkc25

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, this doesn't bode well. I haven't seen one report of this update working for anyone. Then again, if you don't have a problem, you probably won't complain.

sabbys

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, I did it...

But I think in this case there is a huge YMMV aspect to this rollout.

Here is what I did - details etc:

1. This is a brand new phone I got last Friday (my 4th), 7/29/11.

1.1 I had them flash it at the store right then (out of the box it was 1.001sp) to 1.002sp.​

1.2 I barely used the phone tweaking-wise the whole weekend because I knew this was coming up (no rooting, uninstalling factory apps etc.)​

2. This morning I did a dialer code reset (I had the presense of mind to ask the tech flashing my phone for the MSL ;))

3. When the restart came up it saw an update available and started pulling it.

3.1 It downloaded 100%​

3.2 It "upgade to new version" to 100%​

3.3 Restarted with gingerbread on board​

4. So now my phone DNA reads: software version 2.002sp, Android version 2.3.4

I did this over 3g (couldn't wait to get home), all told, about 40 minutes.

Like I said there might be a huge YMMV issue here and I intentionally had a virgin phone to update with, but it can be done. My guess is store flashing should be the first stop. And then a cold reset should be recommended.

Good luck

sabby

hotbbq

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
My phone is at the Sprint getting reflashed. I suspect they will put 2.2 back on it. I will try upgrading it again at the store I guess. Also, I was not able to enter the recovery mode at all as well.

jasonkc25

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, I had the local store do a hard reset, whatever that is, and now not only can I not get an update, it says I'm running out of disk space despite the fact there is nothing installed on it and it's force closing all over the place. Thanks Sprint and your terrible service center.

jasonkc25

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Apparently, the update was sticking in memory and ate up all my internal memory. It was down to less than 1mb. It looks like the Sprint guy fixed it, back to 500. Going to wait as well until Sprint addresses this patch.