Hey all,

A week or two ago I posted about some pseudo carbon fiber skin protector for the Echo. Well, I purchased one from a company called Skinomi:

Skinomi TechSkin - Kyocera Echo Carbon Fiber Skin Protector

I was a little hesitant as all other skins I've used work great on the screen, but not so well on all the other parts of the phone. All the little pieces seem to eventually lift up and pull off over time.

So, I'm glad to say that the Skinomi skin does not appear to have this problem. The screen protectors themselves are pretty much standard for anyone who is familiar with protectors that use the 'wet' method of application. Some find these frustrating, I myself find them a million time easier to install and get 'perfect' than normal 'sticky' protectors. You can't even tell there is anything on the screen.

Do we really need these screen protectors these days with Gorilla glass being standard on most phones? Probably not, but they do seem to reduce the amount of smudges caused by oil from your skin. In that regard it's totally worth it to me.

As for the rest of the skin, it's a thicker plastic of some sort. The instructions recommend after sticking on the pieces to go over them with a hair dryer or heat gun which allows you to get any tough areas to adhere to the phone (these pieces are not to be applied with the 'wet' application method). I admit again, I was skeptical, but after about a week and a half the skin is doing great. I carry my Echo in a leather hip case, so every time I pull out or put away my phone the skins are rubbing against the case. I have yet to see any lift or movement of the skins.

I think the key to success is in the install and making sure your phone is very clean. Make sure you have a good hour or more to sit and install all the pieces (and there are quite a few pieces, just about every surface of the phone is covered with the skin). I installed the screen protectors first to minimize getting the pieces wet. Overall, the install was pretty easy.

I put the skin on my replacement Echo. I noticed my original Echo had some noticeable wear around some of the edges due, so I will be interested to see if this skin reduces or completely eliminates the problem.

J
    08-31-2011 09:07 AM
    Oh also, the Skin is available from Amazon.com for 19 bucks.
    08-31-2011 09:08 AM
    is the sticky part really sticky because it's a dry application? I'm worried if I ever need to take it off it might leave residue.. But I'm sure they made sure that's not gonna happen
    09-14-2011 03:27 PM
    It's pretty sticky, and you use a hair dryer (or heat gun) to help it adhere better. I don't think it would leave a residue, at least not something that couldn't been cleaned off.

BTW, the skin is still holding up really well.
    09-15-2011 12:26 PM
    does anyone know of any others with a smaller pattern? this one seems like its a bit excessive to me.
    10-31-2011 11:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD