Samsung Galaxy Precedent

acain217

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

My friend asked me today if I thought the Samsung Galaxy Precedent for $150 at Walmart was a good deal. I don't know much about Walmart's phones, or straight-talk plans, so I'm hoping someone can help. I told him I would ask around on the forum and see what opinions I could come up with. It looks to me like an under-specced, tiny-screened phone, but then again, this is coming from a guy that has been with verizon and sees a new, beastly phone come out every month it seems like. Is this the best Walmart has to offer? What advice should I give my buddy? Thanks for your guys' time!

comm_on

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

My friend asked me today if I thought the Samsung Galaxy Precedent for $150 at Walmart was a good deal. I don't know much about Walmart's phones, or straight-talk plans, so I'm hoping someone can help. I told him I would ask around on the forum and see what opinions I could come up with. It looks to me like an under-specced, tiny-screened phone, but then again, this is coming from a guy that has been with verizon and sees a new, beastly phone come out every month it seems like. Is this the best Walmart has to offer? What advice should I give my buddy? Thanks for your guys' time!
I know that the Precedent has the Froyo OS, and according to this link Straight Talk Android Samsung Precedent M828C Review | PrepaidRevs.com it's a CDMA phone. If it is in fact a CDMA version, that would put it on the Verizon network. I know that Straight Talk uses AT&T and Verizon networks, and according to the equipment you choose is the network you get. I used Straight Talk with a CDMA phone for two months this year when my phone quit on me, and I wanted to wait till I was eligible for a discount. Anyway, the footprint is national, however it doesn't include roaming off the principal network. Being that the phone I used was a basic clamshell with txt, web, and talk unlimited for $45 a month I didn't complain. To sum it up, here are the pros and cons.

Pros: Android Phone
Verizon CDMA EVDO
National Footprint
Unlimited Talk, TXT, and Web for $45 a month
No Contract, just month to month and you can buy in 3,6, or 12 month blocks.
The phones don't have all of the proprietary garbage on them.

Cons: Froyo OS (Sources say it can be upgraded to Gingerbread though)
Limited support for the phone, and customer service is nearly nonexistent.
No roaming off Verizon network (or AT&T with GSM phones)

PoorBoy52760

Banned
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I know that the Precedent has the Froyo OS, and according to this link Straight Talk Android Samsung Precedent M828C Review | PrepaidRevs.com it's a CDMA phone. If it is in fact a CDMA version, that would put it on the Verizon network. I know that Straight Talk uses AT&T and Verizon networks, and according to the equipment you choose is the network you get. I used Straight Talk with a CDMA phone for two months this year when my phone quit on me, and I wanted to wait till I was eligible for a discount. Anyway, the footprint is national, however it doesn't include roaming off the principal network. Being that the phone I used was a basic clamshell with txt, web, and talk unlimited for $45 a month I didn't complain. To sum it up, here are the pros and cons.

Pros: Android Phone
Verizon CDMA EVDO
National Footprint
Unlimited Talk, TXT, and Web for $45 a month
No Contract, just month to month and you can buy in 3,6, or 12 month blocks.
The phones don't have all of the proprietary garbage on them.

Cons: Froyo OS (Sources say it can be upgraded to Gingerbread though)
Limited support for the phone, and customer service is nearly nonexistent.
No roaming off Verizon network (or AT&T with GSM phones)

I have one, its nice it DOES NOT USE verizon network, they are on sprint, on the cons. IT CAN NOT be upgraded to gingerbread, as it doesn't have enough ram to run it, Gingerbread Requires 512megs ram and the Precedent only has 384 megs, if you look under more samsung phones the galaxy precedent i have a full write up about the phone in there..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazyload03