[GUIDE] Root your Kyocera Rise!

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
[WARN]Standard disclaimer: Neither Android Central, any affiliated websites, staff, or any providers of any pieces of this root method are responsible for potential damage to your device. You also understand that rooting may void any warranties between you, your service provider, and / or the place of purchase for your device.[/WARN]

[INFO]What is Root access?
Certain system files and folders are marked as "read only" by default, meaning that the user can not access or modify these files. Rooting gives you the ability to modify, add, or replace files in these folders on your device. This may enable you to do things such as add custom boot animations / sounds, use backup applications such as MyBackup Root or Titanium Backup, and more.
[/INFO]

[NOTE]One of the files you will download is an application that does a majority of the work for you. It also comes with an Unroot option, however, it does NOT work...at least, not for me. I will post un-root options at a later date.[/NOTE]

To root your RiSE:

Download the ZIP file here: Dev-Host - krise.zip - The Ultimate Free File Hosting / File Sharing Service
Download the drivers for the RiSE here: Kyocera Wireless Support: Phone Drivers

The ZIP file is a slightly modified version of an exploit by Bin4ry over at XDA, so BIG props to that dude for the exploit. It includes the same script, however, uses an older version of the Superuser application and the SU binary (these two programs are essential to giving you root access). The older versions are required for root to behave properly.

Step 1 - Install the drivers for your RiSE
Step 2 - Unzip the ZIP file. To avoid any potential issues, I recommend a folder with no spaces. I had mine in c:\rise
Step 3 - On your phone, go into your Settings, and scroll down to Developer Options. Check the box that says 'Enable USB Debugging' Plug your phone in to your PC.
Step 4 - Open the folder that contains the file you unzipped. Double click the file 'RunMe'. It will present you with a series of options. Press 1 and then press enter.

xGYnF.png

Step 4 - It will do some magic. On your phone, there will be a screen regarding 'restoring a backup.' Don't worry, it won't erase any data. Press 'restore my data'.
6Yto3.jpg

Your phone and your computer will do some more magic, and reboot twice.

After that, you should have root. Download a root checker app to make sure, or download Terminal Emulator from the Play store, open it up, type 'su' and press enter. It should pop up the box asking if Terminal Emulator can have root access. If it does, all is well.

v9yqj.jpg

Last edited:

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
All I have done is download the rise.zip and Chrome is warning me it might be malicious. huh oh?

EDIT: Passed both SpyBot and Avast! scans.

EDIT2: Worked exactly as described. I used X-plore file manager and got the superuser pop up requesting access.

Last edited:

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I think it is sort of standard that a rooting app will throw up a warning with an anti virus. It is technically a 'malicious' app considering what it does. Did you have to try multiple times or did it work first try?

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

BipolarMike

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
You mentioned the script uses an older version of Superuser, is it safe to update Superuser through the market after using your root method?

Seems to work great so far btw!! I never was a fan of that SuperSU nonsense, haha...

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I honestly haven't tried. If you have adb set up, go for it. If it breaks something, you'll need adb to fix it.

Worst case scenario it will still be rooted but the phone will freeze when an app needs to ask for root access.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I do know how to manually remove it through adb, and can walk you through it if something goes wrong.

Semperfi1912

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I did all it asked and pressed one when I started the process and it said daemon started successfully but did nothing else. I waited five minutes and still nothing. What gives?

Allen Turing

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I just want to confirm that the guide works.

I had a little trouble installing the USB driver initially, but once I got that ironed out, the rest of the guide steps sailed through smoothly.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
after root cant download any apps from google play keep saying could not be downloaded due to an error (921) help i am lost

Go into Settings > Applications > Google Services Framework, clear cache and data, and if the option is avaiable, "uninstall updates." Do the same for Google Play Store. Reboot.

You'll then need to go to Settings > Accounts and re-add your Google Account. After you do that, open up the Play store and it will update, try to download an app then.

Shawn Perault

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have done all the steps listed above, and to no avail it will not work for me. I have my phone set to USB debugging. When i run the runme program it says "Checking to see if I need to run in normal mode...." and then it just sits there. Unsure if its just me effing stuff up or something with the phone...

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. Can you open a command prompt, navigate to the 'stuff' folder and type 'adb devices' with your phone plugged in, and see if it lists your device.

Shawn Perault

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. Can you open a command prompt, navigate to the 'stuff' folder and type 'adb devices' with your phone plugged in, and see if it lists your device.

I have done what you suggested, and it is not showing any devices. Phone is plugged into the computer, USB debugging is on. Does it matter what the USB connection type is set to? Right now i have it set to Charge Only.
This is what i get when i run adb devices

C:\Rise\stuff>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached

C:\Rise\stuff>

EDIT: I have got it working :D I Ran "Runme" with administrator privileges, and it worked just fine. Well it was either that or it is because i swapped from a USB 3.0 port to a USB 2.0 port. But either way it worked just fine. I downloaded Terminal Emulator from the Play Store, put in "su" and it worked.

Thanks again for your help and this tutorial!

Last edited:

Sneaky_1

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Cole, works great. I was using the older version that had the no log/no prompt for root access issue. This one works as it should. I would not update the superuser app or the binaries though, as it might break root.

cole2kb

Retired Moderator
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Cole, works great. I was using the older version that had the no log/no prompt for root access issue. This one works as it should. I would not update the superuser app or the binaries though, as it might break root.

Another user stated he did so with no issues, so if you do try it let me know how it goes