[GUIDE] Root your Kyocera Rise!

cherly09

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Kyocera Rise the other day and it automatically updated the firmware. I have tried this root program repeatedly over the last 4 days with no luck. Sometimes it will reboot, but Superuser is not installed and I still get a "$" instead of "#" on terminal emulator. Other times it will say "restore started" and "restore ended" and not reboot at all. When I run the root program, I do see that I get messages that "/system/app/backup-restore.apk" and "/system/bin/ric" are not found. I have installed the drivers from the Kyocera website and also used pdanet+ to update the drivers and no luck. I have also installed API's 15 and 17 in SDK manager as well. No luck. What am I doing wrong???? Please help!

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
For those having problems rooting or don't have a pc and want to root go to:
http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=686996
I can conform it works.

Sent from my C5155 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

I used this method as well. I had one minor issue which required me to reboot after running poot twice. (That app crashed the first time I used it.) I then followed the rest of the directions, and confirmed root by typing su in terminal emulator. Then I applied the well-known (to root users) egl tweak, and after rebooting, installed No Frills CPU CLASSIC. I run the phone at 806 MHz - 1024 GHz, ondemand, and the clq (?) scheduler. There are a few other tweaks I might apply later, like the dalvik vm one, but as of now, this phone runs really well! I'll probably run some benchmarking apps later and see how it compares with my stock unrooted results.

cherly09

May 10, 2012
Visit site
For those having problems rooting or don't have a pc and want to root go to:
http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?t=686996
I can conform it works.

I've tried this method several times now with no luck. I have enabled usb debugging and accepted unknown sources for downloading. I downloaded all 3 apps (poot, then minstro 2, then superuser). Then I ran poot and it asked to update the library and it downloaded some files. Then I left poot and went in to superuser and updated the binary. Then I went into terminal emulator to check on root access (typed 'su') and got a bunch of errors and big caps that say "CANNOT LOAD EXECUTABLES" and permission denied. What am I doing wrong???

ZackVortex

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I've tried this method several times now with no luck. I have enabled usb debugging and accepted unknown sources for downloading. I downloaded all 3 apps (poot, then minstro 2, then superuser). Then I ran poot and it asked to update the library and it downloaded some files. Then I left poot and went in to superuser and updated the binary. Then I went into terminal emulator to check on root access (typed 'su') and got a bunch of errors and big caps that say "CANNOT LOAD EXECUTABLES" and permission denied. What am I doing wrong???

In replied in that thread for you help answer.(DMedina559)

djkfunk

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
couldn't get it to work for my brand new Virgin Mobile Kyocera Rise...but the link to the other method worked like a charm...thank you very much ZackVortex for sharing

a cullen

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I recently rooted my phone using the old method. I noticed an automatic firmware update taking place, and turned off the phone.
Will the new firmware remove root?
Should I turn off firmware updates? How would I do that?

ZackVortex

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I recently rooted my phone using the old method. I noticed an automatic firmware update taking place, and turned off the phone.
Will the new firmware remove root?
Should I turn off firmware updates? How would I do that?

I did the update and I was still able to root.
Someone at Android Forums said they didn't lose root after the update.

reTLk9mr

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to all the people that have contributed to this method, but on xda and here.

Unfortunately I think they patched this fix away, at least I can't seem to get mine rooted. It just spins forever trying to create the symlink, meaning that the restore isn't granting access to the right folder.

If anyone else is still having luck, I'd be interested to know.