Poor concept or poor delivery?

pup23

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
It hasn't taken long to notice that my initial excitement for this new device isn't something that the majority of the community shares. True, perhaps it is somewhat of a niche phone and perhaps not a real flagship title for Sprint (though, they still wanted to make a big deal out of it). But I kinda wonder, are people more upset with the concept or the delivery of said concept? For example, we have two recently announced phones to look at: The Xperia Play and the Kyocera Echo. Both are unique new concepts, but they are also both lacking in hardware. Thus, both phones are looked down upon by a large number of people and are regarded as poor marketing decisions. But it should also be recognized that their plan must not have been to make the best of the best right from the start. They are both companies who wanted to get something unique out fast in hopes to make some quick cash, then potentially follow up with further development depending on their success. But how well does that work in today's phone market? These days it seem like people are anticipating to receive the best of the best. Especially with the recent rise of 4G and dual core processors. So assuming that neither of these upcoming innovative phones will be big sellers, what can they learn from this? Was it the actual concept that was unwelcoming, or were they simply short on the curve and failed to delivery to consumer expectations? Would these phones be more successful and popular had they been given better hardware (along with other cosmetic changes)?

Just putting some of my thoughts out there. I do like the concept and love that they got the hinge working exactly how it should work and not simply fold in half or whatever. I would consider it (perhaps sadly) one of the better phones that Sprint has to offer, but I would agree that the hardware could have used a little more cooking before being handed out to the customers. I've seen a lot of people questioning the usefulness of dual core processors on modern phones. Well, this is probably exactly the kind of phone that would make decent use out of a dual core processor. I would suspect that the concept will catch on and we will see similar dual screen phones emerge sooner or later, but then we fall back on the inevitable question of nay or say: Will it be available on Sprint?

But anyhow, hopefully next week will bring something new and exciting for Sprint. Going to be a long week until then.

jeffreytz

Mayor of Awesometown
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm surprised by all the negative comments, I actually find this concept pretty intriguing, especially that you can flip it around so its a "normal" 480 X 800 display phone (if you had to open it to use it I wouldn't be interested). At least its something beyond the "black slab" which is all we seem to get now.

The lack of a 4G radio is probably an attempt to keep the device as thin as possible, but it could also be a leading indicator of Kyrocera's engineering skills (they probably haven't worked at all with WiMAX chips), and if that's the case I'm concerned about the speed of software updates, the hooks into Android to make those dual screens work being buggy and various compatibility issues.

I'm an EVO 4G owner and I love my phone, but honestly the "4G" part of it is becoming a joke to me. I live and work in downtown Chicago and rarely can get a usable 4G signal (the coverage map means absolutely nothing, I've decided). Its gotten to the point that my 4G radio is permanently off and I only use it in a couple of spots I know it works and at airports when I tether my iPad. As a Sprint fan 4G has been a huge disappointment for me and has me seriously thinking about Verizon's LTE alternative. So the lack of 4G on this phone isn't a deal-breaker for me to check it out.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm surprised by all the negative comments, I actually find this concept pretty intriguing, especially that you can flip it around so its a "normal" 480 X 800 display phone (if you had to open it to use it I wouldn't be interested). At least its something beyond the "black slab" which is all we seem to get now.

I agree. Don't know if I would get it, but I think the concept is pretty neat.

I'm an EVO 4G owner and I love my phone, but honestly the "4G" part of it is becoming a joke to me. I live and work in downtown Chicago and rarely can get a usable 4G signal (the coverage map means absolutely nothing, I've decided). Its gotten to the point that my 4G radio is permanently off and I only use it in a couple of spots I know it works and at airports when I tether my iPad. As a Sprint fan 4G has been a huge disappointment for me and has me seriously thinking about Verizon's LTE alternative. So the lack of 4G on this phone isn't a deal-breaker for me to check it out.

I have 4g in a number of areas in my general vicinity, but rarely use it, simply because wifi is so common in the places I frequent. I wish they added a front facing camera, though.

Eazail70x7

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I think this event was kind of unecessary just like the samung continum event was. Don't getme wrong, they are both cool and innovative concepts but I think that these devices on their lonesome are not enough to satisfy in a single dedicated event which was all the hype.

A device that can satisfy in this sort of event is the Attrix. That would be worth its own event imo...

pup23

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I will agree about the absence of 4G not being much of a deal breaker. It can still use wifi and that can be a decent alternative in a number of situations. I guess most people reviewing this would probably way the enhanced multitasking capability vs. higher speed, but higher speeds only go so far. Not much further. But then again, we don't have full multitasking capability yet either. If the "simul-tasking" capability expands down the road it could certainly improve the usability of this device.

Pierpoint

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Poor delivery. The concept, I think, is pretty neat. Imagine a sexier, sturdier, and slimmer version. With the proper attention from Android, the dual-screen folding idea could do wonders for multi-tasking.

deferom

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Great idea, but terrible execution. It's ugly and it can't run two apps at once. It just switches rapidly. It's unfortunate that consumer's first experience with the form factor will be this phone.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
good concept, but poor delivery for an immature device. no way will i want to be first with this thing.

sed51329

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Battery life was most likely a factor in eliminating the 4G.

good concept, but poor delivery for an immature device. no way will i want to be first with this thing.

Exactly! It is an immature device, as something like this has never been done before. It's an amazing concept on version 1 of the delivery.

There's no norm here with this style of phone. Kyocera and Spring created the norm.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
To be honest, I am intrigued.

I think it is more novelty then productivity.
I mean it's like working on a Nintendo DS.

Love the idea that you can have music streaming, or a presentation going on one screen and edit a document, take notes on another.

Concept A

Excecution C

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Concept is interesting, but otherwise, it's not a good execution. If there was no competition, then something like this would be good, but when you have other companies pushing out better technology than this, I don't think that this is a good idea.

Work on it, then release, but I don't think this phone should have been ready for the public.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The Twin Zio is both poor concept and poor delivery.

If Sprint would have just rolled this out like the EVO Shift, no one would be giving a them such grief. The Echo is bad but the real problem is that Sprint says that this is their vision for the future.

This is just two Kyocera Zio's duct taped together. But duct tape would last longer than this hinge. So you pay the 4G tax for a 3G phone that is twice as thick as a Zio. No video chat with one Zio battery for two phones.

It is OK to fail if you understand you failed. Sprint thinks that they have the first phone in the new direction everyone else will follow.

Sprint's real failure is a lack of self awareness.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Is it odd that some of the worst smartphones in history have come from Kyocera?

Exhibit A:

112700d.jpg

Exhibit B:

phone_7135.jpg

Robbzilla

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Poor timing.

We have dual core phones coming out from the other guys, and we get this siamese twin piece of crap. And not the good siamese twins... I'm talking Matt Damon and that other guy in that horrid movie!

Robbzilla

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
The Twin Zio is both poor concept and poor delivery.

If Sprint would have just rolled this out like the EVO Shift, no one would be giving a them such grief.

Heck, they should have spent the money they spent on the Echo on promotion for the Shift. From all accounts, it's a great little phone!

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
This is what I've learn from phone sales... first impression of the phone, and the initial features of it.

Sadly to say the Echo seem to fail in comparison for most customers view of a device that they would actually want. I personally don't know much about this phone, other than the fact that it's a dual screen device.

I believe that in order for a phone to have good sales, it would have to blow customers mind at first sight. I can't wait to hear the outcome of this phone in the coming months.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I love my EVO, and got one for Wifey (mainly so she can use it for a Kindle). She has no interest at all in videochatting even though we both have EVOs, and has never turned on 4g. She has no clue of what dual core is. I'm pretty sure there are users who simply value multitasking more than having the most powerful device.

JuniorWWT

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I think its great. Will I drop my EVO for it? Absolutely not. But I do believe this phone will be successful. Sprints obviously dedicated to the idea which means they will market the hell out of it. The huge market of consumers that dont have any use for dual core or tegra 2 or android central will buy this phone, because its cool and they can facebook and tweet and browse on 2 screens. Soccer moms, teenagers (that arent tech geeks), and Ocho Cinco are gonna love it. They will fuel development and we will reap the benefits later on when the supersonic of dualscreens comes out. And seriously, as soon as they announced David Blaine you should have known this was not for us. Sprint needs a device for all demographics. Our Evo 2 will be here soon enough.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I think its great. Will I drop my EVO for it? Absolutely not. But I do believe this phone will be successful. Sprints obviously dedicated to the idea which means they will market the hell out of it. The huge market of consumers that dont have any use for dual core or tegra 2 or android central will buy this phone, because its cool and they can facebook and tweet and browse on 2 screens. Soccer moms, teenagers (that arent tech geeks), and Ocho Cinco are gonna love it. They will fuel development and we will reap the benefits later on when the supersonic of dualscreens comes out. And seriously, as soon as they announced David Blaine you should have known this was not for us. Sprint needs a device for all demographics. Our Evo 2 will be here soon enough.

I don't agree with you, but all we can do is wait and see I guess ;)

Ok, I've expressed my position enough, now I will stay silent :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair