What The "Echo" SHOULD HAVE BEEN!

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I run a coffee shop Which is right next door to a radio shack and a sprint store... I'm in there talking gadgets alot of the day...and since sprint put the echo on the website. I'd say 3 out 15-20 customers have asked about the phone...bring up hacking and roms and etc and they have no clue as to what your talking about...to me that's average
Life is about EVOlution

Ah, makes complete sense. Now what are the subcategories?

-Simple non-"gadgeteers"
-Wannabe-techno-geek and/or different non-"gadgeteers"

:-\

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it matters if the potential customer of the echo are techno geeks or "average users". It really just depends on the individual managing to overlook that line in the middle of the screen.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I don't think it matters if the potential customer of the echo are techno geeks or "average users". It really just depends on the individual managing to overlook that line in the middle of the screen.

I'm curious about that experience. Given that it's a split screen, and presumably you wouldn't lose content, it might be okay for websites, etc. Of course, it would be very districting for video.

kmarx

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I think its also because this was Kyocera not HTC or Samsung. If this was still an official Sanyo phone then it would be a great phone. But there is no Sanyo anymore.

caliskimmer

Retired Moderator
Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I think its also because this was Kyocera not HTC or Samsung. If this was still an official Sanyo phone then it would be a great phone. But there is no Sanyo anymore.

I wouldn't buy this if it were an Apple, HTC, or Samsung product, but you do raise a good point. If the brand name were changed, would it receive more positive feedback? :-\

garrettfarnum

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Like someone said above, this is just product 1. A "prototype" if you will, sprint is just seeing how this will sell and how people react to this new concept. I guarantee you there will be a new one out within 2 years with maxed out specs.

Ronindan

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't buy this if it were an Apple, HTC, or Samsung product, but you do raise a good point. If the brand name were changed, would it receive more positive feedback? :-\

Probably not. I think regardless of who made it; it still comes down to the user accepting that line in the middle of the screen.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I think it is pretty neat, doesnt work for me because I have other needs for my phone, but I could see this having a niche somewhere along the line. I guess in essence I am agreeing that this is a "let's see what happens" kinda release with another on the way if this goes half decently.

Slydragon

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Really....? you think people want to watch a movie w/ a line through the middle of it? You really think that is going to appeal to anyone?

I will not give up my Epic for this but yes I do see people watching movies with a line in the middle. Same way I never understood why people watch movies recorded from a theaters.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
I will not give up my Epic for this but yes I do see jopeople watching movies with a line in the middle. Same way I never understood why people watch movies recorded from a theaters.

I wouldn't watch a video on both screens, but I would definitely watch while surfing or checking emails/texts.

IAmBroom

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Watching a movie on a split screen is indeed dumb.

Having twice the viewing area to read a GPS map is not. The split is pretty easy to ignore, when what you really care about (distance to next turn, and the physical shape of the turn) are at the edges of the screen anyway.

Twice the area to read a news story? Not trivial.

A finger-friendly, lit keyboard, leaving half the form screen (including the entry blank) still visible? Big win for those of us with imperfect vision, big fingers, and... basically everyone.

Last edited:

Dre89

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Honestly if they'd just sprang the extra 4$ for the S2 Snapdragon and added a front camera, maybe made it's screens 4in as then it would be a tablet when opened, and put a bit more into marketing it, it would have done better.

Still I'm happy with having something different that works really well regardless of what other tech geeks like me think of the specs. GS2s, Droids, and Evos are all basicly the same slates with the same features or lack there of.

At least we have a device that stands out from everything else. And I'd rather not be apart of the crowd, and I think that's why I've always liked the Echo and got one when I upgraded. Even with the GNexus coming I'd still take the Echo over even that. :cool:

And guess what, no one will ever mistake my device for a damn iphone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech