I bought one

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I bought it because I love the concept of the dual screens. The 960*800 resolution looks stunning, you can see so much more with it. I was concerned of the Kyocera brand, but the build quality of this phone is really good.

I am using Launcher pro, and added an additional row and column to the home screen to take advantage of the extra real estate. It looks really slick IMO.
The bottom screen keyboard is one of the best software keyboards I've used. Lag free and the keys are huge. Swiftkey doesn't quite fill up the screen, but I've emailed them asking for an update.

When the screens are open, 4:3 videos fills up perfectly. I got the TV shows app from the market, and really enjoyed watching content on this big screen. I got used to the bar in the middle pretty quickly, and don't mind it. My gf thought the same.

Specs are disappointing. A dual core and 4G would have been nice. Battery is most likely not gonna be spectacular either. Still gotta test that.

Last edited:

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Pretty good review.

I think the lack of 4g as well as the bulky size of the device is a turn off and its not something i would buy but if you like it that's all that matters.

I do want to know how the hinge holds up and how's typing on the keyboard feel?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

mohepfin

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I bought one too to replace my Evo.

Awesome phone that is also a "crossover Tablet".

Shame this has been panned by so many. Would have a hard time going to back to a single screen phone after just using this for a day.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, I have to wait until June 1. :mad:
But that may not be all bad.

By June the EVO 3D 4G should just about be ready to hit. The Atrix should be here. The Nexus 4G will be out. By then we are expecting a Galaxy 2 as well.

This is a phone you will have for two years. Buy an Echo now and the 30 day return window end just as the other phones all start hitting.

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
But that may not be all bad.

By June the EVO 3D 4G should just about be ready to hit. The Atrix should be here. The Nexus 4G will be out. By then we are expecting a Galaxy 2 as well.

This is a phone you will have for two years. Buy an Echo now and the 30 day return window end just as the other phones all start hitting.

Honestly, I have no desire for the EVO 3D.... bored with Sense, and I get migraines, so the 3D isn't something I'm interested in. I realize it has higher specs, but I don't feel a real sense of urgency about having the highest specs - I'd rather would have a fun device. The Nexus S is a possibility, but the Echo seems a better match for my needs.

And I never have a phone for 2 years.... I get an upgrade every year. I realize that the phone may not be for you, but not everyone's wants / needs are the same. Choice is a good thing.

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Here's a question: does it have a notification LED?

I have to ask, because of such brainchilds as the Nexus S where they skimped on a 3 cent component for a $500 cell phone...

Yes it does. It might be the best notification LED I've seen. It's bright and really easy to spot.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
...Choice is a good thing.
Choice is a very good thing.

Last year Sprint gave us our choice of two of the top 5 phones of the year: the Epic and EVO.

This year Sprint will give us our choice of four of the top rated phones. Amazing!

Choice 1: Buy the Echo without trying out the new Nexus 4G, Atrix 4G, EVO 3D, and Galaxy 2.

Choice 2: Try out the Nexus 4G, Sprint's first pure Android device, the first that will see Matias Duarte's vision for Ice Cream this summer. Samsung took a lot of grief for their Epic Froyo delay but the Sprint Zio is still waiting. The Echo is only shipping with 2.2. Gingerbread is not promised or even hinted at. Would you like to see Gingerbread before you decide? Would you like Ice Cream this summer?

Choice 3: Try out the EVO 3D. The menus and screens are Gingerbread 2D. It's only 3D menu is if you long-press of the Home key and spin for carousel mode. The 3D refers to the 3D option for photos and videos.

Choice 4: Try the Atrix 4G. Do you want to consider the Sprint Atrix 4G when making your choice? The Atrix 4G is announcing later this month and is a beast.

Choice 5: Galaxy 2. Do you want to be able to consider the Galaxy 2 phones expected just after the EVO 3D?

It does not matter what anyone else says. You won't know how you like any of them until you hold them and try them out for yourself. No one else can tell you what will feel best to you.

If all five of the new Sprint smartphones were available right now, are you sure that the Echo is the choice you would make?

Bujin#IM

Nov 4, 2009
Visit site
Choice is a very good thing.

Choice 1: Buy the Echo without trying out the new Nexus 4G, Atrix 4G, EVO 3D, and Galaxy 2.

There will always be a "next phone". Whenever you buy a phone, one can say "why don't you wait a couple of months and try the (fill in the blank phone).

Choice 2: Try out the Nexus 4G, Sprint's first pure Android device, the first that will see Matias Duarte's vision for Ice Cream this summer. Samsung took a lot of grief for their Epic Froyo delay but the Sprint Zio is still waiting. The Echo is only shipping with 2.2. Gingerbread is not promised or even hinted at. Would you like to see Gingerbread before you decide? Would you like Ice Cream this summer?

I tried the Nexus S (although obviously not the 4g) and liked it. I haven't seen anything massively different in Gingerbread, based on what I've seen so far. I think people raise their expectations about new versions way too high, and are always disappointed.
Choice 3: Try out the EVO 3D. The menus and screens are Gingerbread 2D. It's only 3D menu is if you long-press of the Home key and spin for carousel mode. The 3D refers to the 3D option for photos and videos.
Currently have an EVO. I don't see the point of what will be (other than 3D) an incremental upgrade. As I've said before, I'm much more interested in usability than being on top of the spec wars.

Choice 4: Try the Atrix 4G. Do you want to consider the Sprint Atrix 4G when making your choice? The Atrix 4G is announcing later this month and is a beast.
Played with the Atrix. It didn't have anything that really compelled me.

Choice 5: Galaxy 2. Do you want to be able to consider the Galaxy 2 phones expected just after the EVO 3D?
Not really. Why not wait just a little longer for the Atrix 2? Or then the EVO 3D 2? Or the Echo 2? At some point, you can make yourself crazy waiting for the next big thing.

It does not matter what anyone else says. You won't know how you like any of them until you hold them and try them out for yourself. No one else can tell you what will feel best to you.
And yet you seem to be doing your best to make me justify the Echo, and continually arguing that it wouldn't be the best for me or anyone else. At some point, it becomes a bit tiresome.

If all five of the new Sprint smartphones were available right now, are you sure that the Echo is the choice you would make?
Yep. Believe it or not, other people are capable of critical thinking and still coming to a different conclusion than you.

Last edited:

Brain_ReCall

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes it does. It might be the best notification LED I've seen. It's bright and really easy to spot.

Thanks!

Another question (well, two): what was your previous phone, and how would you rate the signal strength of the Echo (either in general or in comparison to your previous phone)?

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I also have a Verizon Thunderbolt. I can't really comment on the Echo's reception vs other Sprint phones, but it's been pretty good.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante