Echo rebooting on its own...

reconboy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am seeing an issue now with the ECHO wanting to just randomly rebooting on its own. I have tried to capture what ever it is that is causing it but no success.

I have un-rooted the device, removed all software like wifi tethering, Launcher pro , Beautiful widgets, and what not. Still the same issue , just randomly rebooting.. Enough to drive me crazy right now.

I have now even went the extra step to factory reset the device, and still wants to just randomly reboot! I have noticed though, it does seem to do this more when the phone is in sleep mode. You wake it, and the entire system just freezes for 30 seconds, then here comes the reboot.

It may just be the device itself defective but I am just wondering if anyone else is seeing this behavior?

reconboy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have come to the conclusion that the device is defective itself. After spending 2 hours at the Sprint store , the tech come out and said he has no idea why it is doing this. He said he could swap it out to a new one but I think I am opting out to get the Nexus now that there is a solid release date.

That being said, do not get me wrong its a very nice phone and has some really good features but I am one of those that if you get one that is screwed up your not going to take a chance that the next one will be the same.

Czech_Pleaz

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
I have un-rooted the device, removed all software like wifi tethering...

I'm sorry you're having these issues. Like the technician at the store I suspect you got a unit in need of replacement. The Echo is in deed a unique and exciting device and so far this is the only account of random rebooting I've heard of.

Keep in mind that while we do offer an awesome 30 day guarantee of satisfaction, and normally will gladly replace a defective unit with a new unit or another model within that first 30 days, rooting and installing apps and services from unknown and unapproved sources can negate our warranty. I know there are many, many people who successfully root their Android device w/o issue. But it still remains a procedure that too often goes wrong. It can have permanent negative effects on the device no matter how carefully procedures are followed.

I hope you can give at least 30 days of OEM trial before you decide to make permanent changes like rooting. If nothing else to keep the 30 day warranty in tact and to help Sprint better understand any issues with devices we sell and support.

Thanks for being a customer!

SunYam

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
I got the Echo last week and the next day it was restarting on it's own. Called Sprints tech support on Monday and was told to return it for a new one. As of Tuesday the new one has restarted twice on me so far.

As far as I can tell it does it when the screen is "asleep". I can have it sitting beside me and I can glance over and see it restarting. Never know when it'll do it, could be once an hour or many hours can go by. I know one day the first one done it 6+ times. As of now it hasn't restarted while I was using it... but it's still bothering me that it's doing it at all. I've already sent in an email to Sprint and Kyocera about this issue.

Last edited:

reconboy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The device is headed back to Sprint, I have been credited the full price including not being charged for the 36.00 stock fee. The device was defective (already knew it was) after an hour of trouble shooting with the Sprint tech via the phone.

All this , wasting 4 hours including travel time and phone time, but I will say the ECHO is very different however I will not get another one to be a test pilot as this should have been done before the launch on Sprint.

As I can see here there are more or at least a couple others that are now having this exact same issue. How many others are going to start to see the same problem as time goes on and you are past your 30 days? Sprint will just exchange devices from that point you will not get a refund back after that 30 day Trial.

Czech_Pleaz

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
How many others are going to start to see the same problem as time goes on and you are past your 30 days?

Being a part of the Product Ambassador team for the Kyocera Echo I can say that none of the units on our team have the random rebooting problem. Nor have we heard of the issue until the OP posted.

While we hope these are few, rare instances, and easily identified and solved by simple exchanges via authorized Sprint outlets, we do want everyone to know that Sprint product development maintains a close relationship with Kyocera. Your issues are heard and being logged. Thanks for posting your issues and working with us.

SunYam

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
I've been hearing about a number of people reporting this same issue. Mines already restarted once on me today so far.

Just wonder if there's going to be a fix for this soon? Cause I've already had two Echo's have the same problem and would hate to bring this one back just to end up with a 3rd Echo that does the same stuff.

maxbayes

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same issue. It has rebooted a couple of times during a call and once while searching for wifi network. Might have to take this back. Its a great phone otherwise, but reboots during a call is simply not acceptable

arykka

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I read reviews and all of these posts prior to my final decision to get the Echo. When I ordered it from Sprint, the sales rep assured me it was a simple "software fix". I just got mine two days ago, and it has re-booted several times already. I've tried updating from my phone. Does anyone know if there's something else that they will do to update the phone in the actual store? The rep mentioned taking the phone to the store to have them do some kind of update.

jasonkc25

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not aware of any software updates yet. The only other updates would be a PRL update or a profile update, and I can't imagine either of those would help the reboot issue.

bobsterco

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Just took my launch day echo into the Sprint Store for frequent reboot replacement based on the advice here.

Was disappointed how much push-back I got from the Sales Associate.

Wants to blame it on Lookout since he regards it as a task killer.
Rep hated on Tickl and the Yahoo Apps. I am willing to run without those.

Blames my use of appbrain as a possible risk (compared to the market).

Left the unit for about an hour's testing.

We will see....

Brain_ReCall

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I've had mine for little under a week. I noticed two reboots, but their strangely similar.

Both times were when the phone was unattended in a gym locker, give or take around 6PM EST. I barely get one signal bar in the locker room, so I'd imagine the gym locker works a bit like a Faraday cage and drops the signal to near zero. Both times its taken a near half hour of these conditions before it reboots at least once (I'm unsure if it reboots successive times since its unattended).

I leave Bluetooth and Wifi on all the time, but only use GMail (with a 15 minute update with the Mail app). I have a Facebook widget that updates hourly, I don't use a task killer, and the phone is unrooted.

If we can list some correlations, then maybe we can start narrowing down some causes.

bobsterco

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Sprint stated that the issue is being worked by Kyocera and Sprint.

I feel good about this. I would like to think that Kyocera would provide an update to resolve this.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae