Help me choose a 10.1 Tablet

chronic illusionz

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I have a $300 gift card from Best Buy and I'm trying to decide on which 10.1 tablet to get. I have been looking at the HTC Flyer for the longest even though it's a 7 inch, but it seems like HTC decided not to go all out spec-wise.

Anyway, I have a PC but want a tablet for portability purposes in and out of the house. I also have a HTC Thunderbolt with mobile hotspot so I'm going for Wi-Fi only. I would prefer one with HDMI, USB, and/or expanding memory. A big Netflix person as well, so having that would be nice. Weight is not an issue if it is sturdy.

I really don't want to go beyond the $499 mark either. Thanks in advance.

texrmm91

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
the new toshiba thrive is a nice tablet. It has full HDMI, Full USB, Mini USB, its own charger(comes with it) also a mini usb cable. Also has a slot for full SD, SDHC, SDXC. The sd card and usb sticks work wonderfully when adding more space to the tablet. The 8gb is $429.99, 16gb $479.99, and there is a 32gb one as well. The small one has to be preordered. Getting the small one and then using your existing usb sticks or sd cards is the smartest option

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I just got a xoom and absolutely love it. The Barnes and Noble ape let's you read full color magazines. Add SwiftKey for tablets and typing is simple. The battery life is berry good so far. Been playing with it for the past few hours and only down to 79 percent. This will be a laptop replacement for me for most things except documents and mp3 downloads.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

drd48

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently considering an android tablet. I'm uncertain if now is the right time for a purchase though. The Xoom sounds good, especially given the recent upgrade. I understand that it is the flagship for Google, and that makes it likely to get upgrades quickly. How long before another tab replaces it as the favorite child though?

The Samsung Galaxy 10.1 sounded good initially from the reviews I've read, but after some time on the forums, I saw some less-glowing assessments. Also, apparently Samsung is looking to add Touchwiz to it soon. For me, this is a dealbreaker. I'm not a TW fan, and Samsung is not great at getting its products updated.

The other tablet I'm considering is the Flyer. It may even be the frontrunner for me at this point. I like the form factor and the version of Sense that HTC is using for the tablet seems pretty cool. I guess I'm waiting to see when the Honeycomb upgrade shakes out and how it goes. Basically, I'm down to the Flyer, the Xoom, or waiting. Any advice for me? I'd greatly appreciate it.

drd48

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I think the HTC 10.1 will be my pick if they release a WiFi only version. The Flyer is apparently getting its upgrade to honeycomb in august too. Looks like I'll be waiting it out another month to see how everything shakes out.

chronic illusionz

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help guys.

I went with the Xoom. And I actually got lucky because they had an unused open box one. Plus this week they were giving an extra 10% on open box merchandise. So it was 20% off in total.

But I love it nonetheless. Only thing I have to get is a screen protector because this thing is a fingerprint magnet.

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I put a ZAGG shield on my Xoom but it came out looking like crap. I'm considering taking it off and using a capacitive stylus to minimize the finger prints. Every tablet should have some kind of oleophobic coating.

tagacapiz

May 4, 2011
Visit site
i used old hardware wrappings to make my own stylus. lol.

screen won't scratch (well except of course if you deliberately want to) as it's hard glass. but yeah, it collects prints. i just wipe.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay