Thinking of picking up a tablet

HardHitter#AC

May 1, 2010
Visit site
To make it short, my housemate just got an iPad2 and before then I was always thinking of maybe getting a tablet. I already have a personal laptop which I use for excel (budget finances) but I use it mostly for surfing the web.

With the size of tablets and a lot more ease of portability, I've been really thinking about buying one but I have no idea which one would be best for my needs.

What I'd want:
Ease of browsing the web on multiple tabs
Gaming (nothing hardcore, just casual games)
Movies/Music/Entertainment (I travel to the Midwest for work a lot so it'd be nice if I could just simply put it in my carry-on and have a movie to watch or music to watch while on the plane)

What are some other benefits of a tablet? I already own an Android phone (DInc) so I'm familiar with the OS.

Thanks!

Charlesleonard

May 17, 2011
Visit site
You mentioned that your room mate has an Ipad, Android tablets will give you the opportunity to chose the tablet that is right for you rather then a one size fits all (Ipad).Many Android tablets come with expandable memory in the form of microsd cards or full size sd cards. Some have working usb ports allowing the use of external keyboards, usb drives, hard drives, etc. Different size screens 7-10 inch. Built in GPS is another feature on many Android tablets. These features are not found on Ipads.(GPS on Ipads depend on having a data plan with one of the Cell Carriers. An additional monthly fee.)

I use the Acer Iconia A500. It has a full sized usb port, a micro usb port to connect to a laptop or desk top. You can get a docking station with keyboard but I use an old usb keyboard that coast less the $10 at one of the office stores. I also have an 8GB usb thumb drive that I put movies on to view when traveling. You can use almost any size drive, some have attached 500 GB drives. For office work I use DataWiz Docs to Go, word, excel files and pdf, $15 but if you don't want to spend the money then there are free apps doing the same in the market.

Enough from me, read the forums on the different tablets, each will have strong points and weaknesses. Then go to your local BB or other store to try before buying.

Whatever you get enjoy

HardHitter#AC

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm really liking the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 but it seems as though it may be lacking some features such as a USB port?

I see a lot of 16GB for sale but how about the 32GB? Are there any differences between the two other than the size?

Charlesleonard

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm really liking the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 but it seems as though it may be lacking some features such as a USB port?

I see a lot of 16GB for sale but how about the 32GB? Are there any differences between the two other than the size?

If you are close a Costco then the 32GB is $429 and includes the Acer rubber case.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Yea no SD card so unless u use one of Samsungs adapter for SD card or thumb drive your sol. Also have plenty of juice since your only port to charge is being used for other stuff.

UnfocusedHTC

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
The Acer iconia a500 has a micro SD, HDMI, USB port, and a full sized USB port as well. It also uses a 12 volt 1.5 amp power cord for charging. Currently has android 3.1 and soon 3.2. I would highly suggest this tablet. I am not regretting my purchase at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol