Considering an Android 2.2 Tablet for 10 yr old niece

HTWingNut

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
This Android 2.2 Tablet is $109 at buy.com with 1GHz InfoTM (ARM?) CPU. SVP is the brand. Item number is 223300667 at buy.com (can't post links yet).

It's cheap, but I missed out on the HP Touchpad for her, and still wanted to get her something but can't really spend much more than $100. She really only needs web access, calendar, email, camera, video, music, basic games, etc.

Or is there a better option for around $100? Thanks.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

HTWingNut

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for response. It's for my 10 yr old niece, and birthday is in a couple weeks and budget at $100 is already pushing it. Just wondering if it's enough for basic web surfing, video, music, organizer stuff, etc? What is limited on the 256MB RAM? Looks like it's DDR2, can it be upgraded? Can apps only be installed on that portion? It also has 2GB storage + SDHC. Assuming apps and stuff can be stored and run from the 2GB storage, only 256MB RAM is basically for processing the OS and apps?

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
that one's getting some pretty crummy reviews. have you checked o.co or eBay? I've seen slightly older Archos tabs new in box for just over $100 there before, ymmv but it may be an option. :)

HTWingNut

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks I'll look into the Archos.

However I only saw the one user review, and griping about the wi-fi. So I don't put much credence in one user review. I don't doubt it's not the best, but for a ten year old, it should suffice if I can't find anything else.

I eventually want a small tab with capacitive screen because I don't want to get stuck with paying $30/mo extra for similar features on my phone.

hccdell

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi there. I Pretty much have the same version of this tablet only a 10 inch one.
I would hold off on buying this 1... I have google play on my tablet.
I had to install the APK file on the tablet in order to get google play,
and android 2.2 does not have silverlight, which is needed in order to watch you tube.

Dell
Pittsfield Massachusetts

msweed1

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
we have just purchased 2 for our twins. want to know if there is any contact phone numbers for anyone in australia to help. I have tried to download android apps and am unable to ????? Think I need someone to talk me through it. Can anyone help ???? i am totally computer illiterate.
Cheers

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
You would have to look through the paperwork that came with the tablet to find that info. Cheap tablets like that don't come with the Play Store (formerly known as the Android Market). You should have done a little more homework before buying. The only way to get apps on those types of tablets is to sideload a third party app store or look for the Amazon App Store APK. Still, be aware that many apps will show as being incompatible because the Android OS is a very old version and the screen resolution is poor.

bdfull3r

May 11, 2011
Visit site
Why does no one bother to listen to the people giving them advice. Anyone with knowledge about Android knows to avoid these cheap chinese tablets. We always tell people to avoid them, EVERY review talks about how ty these tablets are and people keep buying them. WTF?

Reactions: monkeyluis

Surfergirl3706

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Here's the link: Buy.com - SVP 7.0-inches Touch Panel WiFi Adroid 2.2 Tablet PC / Mobile Internet Device

Only 256 MB RAM. I don't know. I haven't ready good things on cheap Android tablets. You don't get the Android Market on this either. I'd hold off and try for the next round of TouchPads. They are due in a few weeks. Or save up a little more and get the new Visio 8" tablet for 278.00. It's getting good reviews.

Thanks. Good to know. Will do some additional research.

monkeyluis

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I understand budget is a consideration, but these cheap pos tablets shouldn't even be made. Google should be ashamed at these & shouldn't let these see the light of day. Save another $100 & buy a kindle fire.

Reactions: Ry

caustin588

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
The store I work in sells some of these cheap tablets. They get bought and promptly returned the next day. They are all just terrible devices. I can understand the budget thing but don't shortchange yourself with one of these tabs. If you can, get an extra 100 bucks and get her a Kindle Fire or Nook Tab.

Reactions: anon(3653) and Ry

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams