I get a free tablet, but I need help choosing!

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the chance to get a new tablet for free through a corporate rewards program and I need help deciding. Right now the choices are:
  • Asus Transformer 32gb
  • Toshiba Thrive 16gb
  • Acer Iconia A500 16gb
  • Lenovo Ideapad (? gb)
  • Lenovo Thinkpad (?gb)

I'm looking for the best tablet features/ specs... Also I definitely want a tablet with a good history of fast updates. I'm tired of waiting for the Gingerbread update to my Captivate on AT&T! I want the best battery life, too. Right now I use an Asus laptop and I love it, so I'm leaning toward the Transformer and since the keyboard isn't extremely important (but nice), I want to know if anyone has any compelling reasons why I should think about the Acer or the Thrive or Ideapad. I don't think I'm interested in the Thinkpad. Also... do the Lenovo's only have 1gb on board memory?

Any suggestions or experiences with these would help me out alot. I just want to make a good decision.

Thanks!

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, I ended up jumping on the Transformer. Honestly, I'd hoped that someone would have commented about some of the questions I had about the other tablets, especially after 85 views.

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Chapman:

Based on my research and personal experience you made a good choice. After many hours and days of research I purchased the Transformer 32 (with dock). and a Xoom. Both are excellent, but I have to say the Transformer is my favorite. You will note that there are many transformers out there, but relatively few bad comments or requests for help from transformer users. You might find it interesting to go to Amazon and look through the comments on the Transformer. Also, updates are timely.

Enjoy, Cbill

rblacula

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The Xoom is my fave IMHO! It's just sexxxxxyyyyy looking! And the Transformer is nice, but I'll take pure GEDs any day! Asus has ridiculously fast update times, but I want my updates to be DIRECTLY from Google! The better thing on the Transformer is the screen, but Xoom+GreatShield matte screen protector=WIN! For budget, go for Transformer; for build quality and a bit faster updates, go Moto!

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
The Xoom is my fave IMHO! It's just sexxxxxyyyyy looking! And the Transformer is nice, but I'll take pure GEDs any day! Asus has ridiculously fast update times, but I want my updates to be DIRECTLY from Google! The better thing on the Transformer is the screen, but Xoom+GreatShield matte screen protector=WIN! For budget, go for Transformer; for build quality and a bit faster updates, go Moto!

Asus has been really fast with the updates, so that one doesn't bother me. I root and install custom ROMs and kernels anyway. The Transformer is also lighter if that matters. Give Steingeil protectors a shot next time. Their Ultra Crystal line are the best protectors on the market

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Wow, thanks for the validation on my choice! I'm glad to hear that the Transformer has super fast updates. Unfortunately I have to pay for the keyboard dock my self, unless I wait until my corporate rewards funds builds up again, lol. Awe, who am I kidding... I'm gonna get it lol.

@rblacula: I played with the Xoom and I liked it alot, but unfortunately it wasn't an option (boo.)