Ugliest Tablet. EVER. (aka, how 1995 imagined tablets)

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Just had to share this device--I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it. The Fujitsu U810 is an awkward, ugly little beast that runs Windows Vista on a 5" display. Best part? the $999 price tag.

This guy knows where it's at. Just look at how convenient full Windows Vista is without a pinch-and-zoom, on a 5" screen. With a 5" keyboard!
misc.png
Developers knew this was the face of the future:
fujitsu_u810_view2.jpg

What a joy it must be to have full Windows Vista without pinch-and-zoom on a 5" screen:
misc.png

Did I mention it has its own sexy website? Fujitsu LifeBook U810 | World's Smallest Tablet Convertible UMPC

To be fair, it was released like five years ago. But holy lord, people thought this was a good enough idea to manufacture?? This looks like something you'd see in an early 90's flick about the future.

Just goes to show you how fast technology evolves. 5 years is nothing. When I started college, tablets didn't exist on a widespread, affordable level. The iPad didn't even come out until 2010. Most people in my classrooms were still handwriting notes, because their laptops were probably too heavy for convenient use. Now most people have tablets, or at least slim laptops, in class. What will another 5 years bring to computing devices?

socialcarpet

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I love it. I don't know why, but I do. Sony had something years ago that I saw on Japan Rush or one of those sites that sells crazy Japan-only gadgets to the rest of the world. Thing was like $1600 and completely ridiculous, but man did I lust after it for a while lol. Luckily I came to my senses and never bought it. LOL. This was back in the days before tablets when palm pilots or a used Apple Newton were the closest thing you could get to a tiny computer, so in that context it was very cool, if not terribly practical.

These days of course it makes no sense when I can buy a Nexus 7 that has more power, more memory and higher resolution than those things did for less than 1/4 the price.

Back in 2001-2 or whenever though, something like a Nexus 7 was a dream. If anything like an N7 even existed then, it would have been $2000. It's amazing how far we've come...