Which tablet dual core or quad core for casual usage?

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I wanted to buy another tablet for occasional usage to surf the web, play a couple of you tube videos and such. I really do not want to spend a lot of money as I will use this tablet maybe once to twice a week. I have an iPad 2 and an iPhone 5. I tried to go with the Samsung Galaxy S3 but the battery life got frustrating and I did not want to go the extended battery route.

I am considering the following:

Acer Iconia 710 - dual core
Acer Iconia 810 - quad core (price difference is $50)

I was considering a Nexus 7 or Galaxy Note 8 but, I am having a hard problem rationalizing the price because if I spend that money I would rather get an iPad Retina. I do like the concept of using a stylus and multi-tasking capabilities of the Note 8 but for the intended usage, I would not use this functionality.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the information. How is the MeMo Pad 7 display? i was comparing the Acer against my iPad 2 and noticed that whenever I enlarged or shrunk an image, there would be a momentary blur so, maybe i need to focus on the quality of the display verses the cost otherwise I am going to get frustrated with the device.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Those non-HD tablet screens are clearly going to be inferior to the iPad (you get what you pay for). But from what I've seen in the stores, the MeMO Pads have decent displays. They seem to have a better viewing angle than the smaller Acers, but you should check that out for yourself.

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the information. I will check out the Memo. After all my research, I am finding that you do get what you pay for. If I want better quality, then I need to spend about $100-$200 more. Then the price gets close to a 16gb iPad mini. I ordered a Galaxy Note 8 the other day but after seeing it at Best Buy, I was not all that impressed so maybe I will refuse the order.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I tried a MemoPad HD7 for a day. Not bad but 1GB of RAM worried me. The Nexus 7 is a pretty safe bet and worth any premium, IMO. Especially with 4.4 on it.

N7

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
ok. thanks. I am going to try both of them. One of the main issues is finding the products as you can find them online much easier than in a store.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Just ordered the LG 8.3 tablet after seeing it at Best Buy. Found it for 100$ less online too. At 250$ it's worth looking at

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Very nice. I think you're gonna really like it. I absolutely love mine.

Lol not sure how much face time I'll get with it. I already know my daughter won't sit it down for the first few months.

Also I'm not sure what the current price is on the N7 but Staples has them for a seemingly good price

16 gig for $179
32 gig for $199

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
If they're still around, Walmart carried the Sero 7 Pro by Hi sense. It's a nice value tablet with a couple of high end goodies. One, the Nvidia Tegra 3 processor, and secondly, a nice IPS display. It was $149 originally, but if it's still in stock, I believe the price went down to $129.
It's relatively fast, on 4.2 JB, has access to to the Tegra Zone (gaming) if that's important to you, and the display is very good at this price. Also has a micro SD slot to compliment the 8 GB internal storage. I use mine similarly to your desired usage, and I'm very happy with it. The Nexus 7, of course, would be a nice step up, and probably a bit more future proof.
Good luck!

Sent from the (4.2 updated) redheaded stepchild of the Nexii

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Staples has the 32GB for $199? Really? How the @#$%! did I mess that!?

Seen it today and tried to talk my daughter into it and cancel the 8.3

She wasn't having it though

Big savings vs the Best Buy N7

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
That's a good deal...$70 off. ...but the GPad 8.3 is one sliQ slate.

I agree. I was pretty impressed when I seen it. And for my daughter to like anything over Samsung, well that says a lot within itself.

ljxdaly

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
the Nexus 7 from staples is for the 2012 model. btw, i have one and love it. a few weeks ago staples had a $50 off coupon, so i got a 2012 nexus 7 32 gb for $130. got my oldest son (18) the 2013 Nexus 7 32gb for $190 i think. this was black friday stuff.

i do have a 4 year old, and i'm thinking of getting something for him....i just know he'll trash it. maybe i'll just revive an old phone and have him use it as a mini tablet. i have a galaxy s sitting in a drawer, works fine for simple educational apps and netflix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze