What tablet do you think I should get?

Emac4444

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting a tablet and wanted to get some of your guys' opinions. What I'll do is I'll say what I want to do with it, a few I'm interested in, and you guys can tell me what you think I should get. I'll answer any clarifying question as well.
Ok, so I want a tablet to watch YouTube, go on facebook, watchESPN, browse the web, doing homework, playing games, etc. Also, being a Windows 8 tablet would be a gigantic advantage for PC exclusives like Age of Empires and Age of Mythology. I also need it to be smooth and fast, nice, smooth transitions, animations, etc.
Battery life: Not to much of a concern for me, but I do want about 5 hours for games and maybe 7-8 for browsing the web.
Size: Also doesn't really matter to me because even if I'm using it on vacation or something, I'll still be sitting down while using it, so as long as it is comfortable to hold in my hands, I'm fine.
Screen Size: This one I'm really not sure about, I've been used to a 10" tablet and that feels great, not sure if the Nexus 7 is too small. I think that depending on what people say, 8" might be the lowest that I go.
Price: This one also doesn't matter, I think that if an amazing tablet is much more expensive, it's worth it to save up because I want to use it for 2-3 years. So, less is better because I could get it sooner, but depending on how well it can achieve what I want out of a tablet, I don't really care.
These are the tablets I was already considering, if one of them contradicts some of the above criteria, please tell me.
Nexus 7 2013: Great, cheap, fast. MIght be too small though.
Samsung TabPRO 8.4: Amazing on paper, not too bad of a projected price considering the specs ($390).
Apple iPad Air: Obvious choice, smooth, fast, light, comfortable. But it is very expensive also considering it doesn't excel in any particular area. It gives me what I expect, but nothing else.
Apple iPad Mini with Retina Display: (Read above) smaller version of that.
LG G Pad 8.4 GPE: Takes away my only concern with the Nexus 7 + it has excellent build quality. But is 1.5 more inches worth another, what, $100.
Microsoft Surface 2/ Pro 2: Great tablet/ laptop hybrid, plus can play PC games. My concerns are it is pretty expensive, Windows 8 doesn't have many great apps. Also, is it fast/smooth? What's better, the Pro 2 or just the Surface 2.
Dell Venue 11: I don't really know much about this one but I heard it can rival the Surface and was wondering more about it.
Razer Edge Pro: Amazing for PC games. However, pretty chunky, expensive and hot.
Ok so that's my list, thanks for reading this and hopefully giving me feedback.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm biased towards the 2013 N7, because I have one. It's really fast, and the screen is superb. I think the 7" screen is the right balance between readability and portability.

Also consider the Tegra Note 7, which is built for gaming.

M Victor Kilgore

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting a tablet and wanted to get some of your guys' opinions. What I'll do is I'll say what I want to do with it, a few I'm interested in, and you guys can tell me what you think I should get. I'll answer any clarifying question as well.
Ok, so I want a tablet to watch YouTube, go on facebook, watchESPN, browse the web, doing homework, playing games, etc. Also, being a Windows 8 tablet would be a gigantic advantage for PC exclusives like Age of Empires and Age of Mythology. I also need it to be smooth and fast, nice, smooth transitions, animations, etc.
Battery life: Not to much of a concern for me, but I do want about 5 hours for games and maybe 7-8 for browsing the web.
Size: Also doesn't really matter to me because even if I'm using it on vacation or something, I'll still be sitting down while using it, so as long as it is comfortable to hold in my hands, I'm fine.
Screen Size: This one I'm really not sure about, I've been used to a 10" tablet and that feels great, not sure if the Nexus 7 is too small. I think that depending on what people say, 8" might be the lowest that I go.
Price: This one also doesn't matter, I think that if an amazing tablet is much more expensive, it's worth it to save up because I want to use it for 2-3 years. So, less is better because I could get it sooner, but depending on how well it can achieve what I want out of a tablet, I don't really care.
These are the tablets I was already considering, if one of them contradicts some of the above criteria, please tell me.
Nexus 7 2013: Great, cheap, fast. MIght be too small though.
Samsung TabPRO 8.4: Amazing on paper, not too bad of a projected price considering the specs ($390).
Apple iPad Air: Obvious choice, smooth, fast, light, comfortable. But it is very expensive also considering it doesn't excel in any particular area. It gives me what I expect, but nothing else.
Apple iPad Mini with Retina Display: (Read above) smaller version of that.
LG G Pad 8.4 GPE: Takes away my only concern with the Nexus 7 + it has excellent build quality. But is 1.5 more inches worth another, what, $100.
Microsoft Surface 2/ Pro 2: Great tablet/ laptop hybrid, plus can play PC games. My concerns are it is pretty expensive, Windows 8 doesn't have many great apps. Also, is it fast/smooth? What's better, the Pro 2 or just the Surface 2.
Dell Venue 11: I don't really know much about this one but I heard it can rival the Surface and was wondering more about it.
Razer Edge Pro: Amazing for PC games. However, pretty chunky, expensive and hot.
Ok so that's my list, thanks for reading this and hopefully giving me feedback.

You'll love the screen res. and battery power of the Nexus 7. I found more helpful info on two other smart choices as well: Best 3 Tablets to Grab on the Cheap...all under $200! Not sure about gaming though.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Plus one more for the Nexus 7. Best tablet out IMO and in that of many others here. Size should be good for watching videos and playing games. If it's terribly small, you could also get the Nexus 10, even if it isn't that great on paper.

Posted via Android Central App

Neil Paice

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I would suggest it because its not hugely popular for some reason, cost maybe, but its a damned fine tablet, and in my opinion far better than a Samsung tab. Screen is great runs thing perfectly fine, apart from my iPad this has been the best tablet I have owned.

Posted from my nexus 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles