Tablet is flooded with Unfortunately, (app name) has stopped. errors, how can I fix this?

A

AC Question

Tablet is flooded with "Unfortunately, (app name) has stopped." errors

I have a cheap generic Chinese tablet running Android 4.0.4 that's been doing weird things recently. It hasn't always acted this way, it just recently started. Every time I turn it on, I get a non-stop flood of "Unfortunately, (app name) has stopped." errors. The apps that crash are Email, Google play services and several others. Google play services seems to crash the most. I've tried clearing the cache and data, but clicking the buttons literally does nothing. Uninstalling updates is useless because "Unfortunately, Package Installer has stopped." I try factory resetting but the device does nothing but restart after clicking the button. All the apps and my original settings remain. There's a button in settings to restart into recovery mode, but again, it never makes it into recovery mode and just restarts. I've tried clearing the system internal storage via USB on my computer but that did nothing. If there's a physical array of buttons to press to get to recovery, I'd be glad to hear it. As of now though, I'm trapped. Someone help! :X

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Tablet is flooded with "Unfortunately, (app name) has stopped." errors

Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, you may just be a victim of faulty firmware or hardware, which is not unusual with these no-name devices.

Try booting into Safe Mode, which temporarily disables all 3rd party apps. On most Android devices, while powered on, press and hold Power until the Power Off menu appears. Press and hold the Power Off selection until the Safe Mode prompt appears. Tap OK.

If the problem disappears in Safe Mode, then something you installed is causing the problem. You may have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem disappears. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then it's more likely to be a hardware or firmware problem.