Just purchased the P40 Pro - Do I return it?

The General52

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi All

First of all ive done plenty of research on the new huawei's with their own services built in vs Google's services.

What I really want to know is if other people are confident in Huawei's ability to keep their ecosystem going?

I've managed to get all the apps but am very conscious of this possibly becoming a new windows phone phenomenon...

It seems Huawei are throwing a lot at replacing GMS and cant find any reason to think of returning it...its great phone. I just do not want to end up with a phone tat obsolete in a couple of years because Huawei has given up....

Any thoughts?

garlow

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
I guess the joy of it being Android still is well, its still Android! Even if Huawei gave up as you say as long as APKs exist you'll still be able to get a hold of the apps you want! I doubt they will though, just because they might get a bad rap over here at the moment they're crushing it in china being number 1 by a mile.

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
Hi All

First of all ive done plenty of research on the new huawei's with their own services built in vs Google's services.

What I really want to know is if other people are confident in Huawei's ability to keep their ecosystem going?

I've managed to get all the apps but am very conscious of this possibly becoming a new windows phone phenomenon...

It seems Huawei are throwing a lot at replacing GMS and cant find any reason to think of returning it...its great phone. I just do not want to end up with a phone tat obsolete in a couple of years because Huawei has given up....

Any thoughts?

That's a good question. I got the P40 Pro myself. As a first thought, I would say the chances are slim.

The windows phones were a whole different story since it was another OS and it had very few developers developing apps for it, while Huawei has put a lot of money behind it. Also the whole smartphone market was at its infancy, which Windows Phones didn't survive. Huawei is using Android, which I don't think is going anywhere any time soon (it might, but not too soon).

Developers don't need to work on a whole different platform, it's still android, they just need to make the app compatible with Huawei Mobile Services (HMS). Since Huawei was literally the largest seller of smartphone for last quarter, I am sure everybody wants a piece of that.

So yeah, I highly doubt it.

Last edited:

garlow

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
That's a good question. I got the P40 Pro myself. As a first thought, I would say the chances are slim.

The windows phones were a whole different story since it was another OS and it had very few developers developing apps for it, while Huawei has put a lot of money behind it. Also the whole smartphone market was at its infancy, which Windows Phones didn't survive. Huawei is using Android, which I don't think is going anywhere any time soon (it might, but not too soon).

Developers don't need to work on a whole different platform, it's still android, they just need to make the app compatible with Huawei Mobile Services (HMS). Since Huawei was literally the largest seller of smartphone for last quarter, I am sure everybody wants a piece of that.

Sony yeah, I highly doubt it.

This is a great point, app developers will want a piece of whoevers selling the most phones, that wasn't the case with windows phones...

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
This is a great point, app developers will want a piece of whoevers selling the most phones, that wasn't the case with windows phones...

Haha, to say the least. Windows phones looked awful as well, basically a square slab of plastic. Crazy how Microsoft messed it up so badly, they had the software potential (Windows already being on 90% of all computers in the world) AND the hardware from Nokia, who had some of biggest following and loyalty of all brands at the time. Still a mystery. I would be nice to have a third alternative in OS, which I guess Huawei is kind of doing it in a way now....but still different.

wakawaka89

May 27, 2020
Visit site
Hi All

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't consider returning it, Huaweis always leaps ahead

wakawaka89

May 27, 2020
Visit site

So yeah, I highly doubt it.

I genuinely detested my windows phone, I could never get any social networking apps and for me felt like it wasn't fit for purpose. The maps were amazing though!

wakawaka89

May 27, 2020
Visit site
Haha, to say the least. Windows phones looked awful as well, basically a square slab of plastic. Crazy how Microsoft messed it up so badly, they had the software potential (Windows already being on 90% of all computers in the world) AND the hardware from Nokia, who had some of biggest following and loyalty of all brands at the time. Still a mystery. I would be nice to have a third alternative in OS, which I guess Huawei is kind of doing it in a way now....but still different.

I disagree I liked the layout of it, similar to how Huawei had their simple mode and the colour choice on a windows device was always pretty good. I believe they had a lumia 510 in yellow which was pretty cool!! Nothing near like Huawei does now though!

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
I genuinely detested my windows phone, I could never get any social networking apps and for me felt like it wasn't fit for purpose. The maps were amazing though!

Yeah, the app development was lagging waaaaay behind. I also remember I was trying to help my aunt to move her stuff onto a new phone (coincidentally also a Huawei...well an Honor 6X, but same thing) and NOTHING was coming across, you had to go through a PC and follow a fairly complicated process, which I wasn't going to, we just downloaded everything manually, worse than Apple nowadays.

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
I disagree I liked the layout of it, similar to how Huawei had their simple mode and the colour choice on a windows device was always pretty good. I believe they had a lumia 510 in yellow which was pretty cool!! Nothing near like Huawei does now though!

To each their own I guess. I mean there are still people out there who like Sony today. :D

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I see you are a newer user here - welcome to Android Central! As others have mentioned, with APK's and Huawei's usual guarantees of software updates, I think you will be just fine.

If it's a great phone and you are enjoying it, keep it! It is an awesome device and if anyone can pull off building their own OS and sticking to it, it's Huawei! :)

The General52

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
I guess the joy of it being Android still is well, its still Android! Even if Huawei gave up as you say as long as APKs exist you'll still be able to get a hold of the apps you want! I doubt they will though, just because they might get a bad rap over here at the moment they're crushing it in china being number 1 by a mile.

thats a very solid point i didnt think about tbf

The General52

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
I see you are a newer user here - welcome to Android Central! As others have mentioned, with APK's and Huawei's usual guarantees of software updates, I think you will be just fine.

If it's a great phone and you are enjoying it, keep it! It is an awesome device and if anyone can pull off building their own OS and sticking to it, it's Huawei! :)

Hey thank you for the welcome! You and the others here have definitely squashed some of my fears.

I think I forgot how strong of a company Huawei actually are.

The General52

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
Yeah, the app development was lagging waaaaay behind. I also remember I was trying to help my aunt to move her stuff onto a new phone (coincidentally also a Huawei...well an Honor 6X, but same thing) and NOTHING was coming across, you had to go through a PC and follow a fairly complicated process, which I wasn't going to, we just downloaded everything manually, worse than Apple nowadays.

To be fair thats one thing I love about these phones...moving stuff from different phones etc is so smooth

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hey thank you for the welcome! You and the others here have definitely squashed some of my fears.

I think I forgot how strong of a company Huawei actually are.

So glad you are feeling better about your decision! Hope you have fun around the forums! Enjoy your brand new P40 Pro! Show us pictures of it when you have a chance, please! :)

wakawaka89

May 27, 2020
Visit site

I hated that fact too, it was overly complicated when it didn't need to be

wakawaka89

May 27, 2020
Visit site

I agree, I just need a few apps adding to AG

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site
Haha hey Sony screens are good. I wouldn't personally have one

Hehe, yeah I would defos buy a Sony TV, they're killing it recently with those. Their camera division is class as well, I mean they sell lenses to basically all smartphone manufacturers, yet SOMEHOW they manage to have one of the worst cameras on their Smartphones, boggles my mind.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante