Google Pay / Huawei pay /Apple pay - yay or nay?

wakawaka89

May 27, 2020
Visit site
Serious question, how many people use there phone as a payment method?

I had an iphone and used apple pay religiously!! I then had google pay on an android device but stopped using it after a friend had a bad experience with it.

You can pay with paypal on phones too but not all stores take this. I dont know how far this forum reaches or if anyone has used Huawei payyet. I know its supposed to be coming to the UK soon but not sure if anyone has any hands on experience with it?!

Ten Four

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Here in the USA phone payment acceptance is highly variable. Outside of major cities you must also carry credit cards, debit cards, and cash, in my experience. I find it isn't worth attempting to use Google Pay, because even if the store offers it half the time it doesn't work or takes longer than simply swiping a credit card. More than once I have been in line at Walmart when someone has tried to use Apple or Google Pay and the clerk said something like "that never works." We also have many smaller places that are cash only, meaning you would be out of luck with just a phone for payment.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm ordering the occasional pizza now and then using Google Pay or G Pay(?) as it might be called. Since the consensus for pizza here is the Shaq-a-roni offered by Papa John's (special pricing for a limited time I'd guess) it is remarkably easy to order this way using the PJ's app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I use Google Pay when I can -- I think it's convenient, and I'm satisfied with the security. These days, with contamination concerns, it's nice to do things completely contactless as well.

wakawaka89

May 27, 2020
Visit site
Here in the USA phone payment acceptance is highly variable. Outside of major cities you must also carry credit cards, debit cards, and cash, in my experience. I find it isn't worth attempting to use Google Pay, because even if the store offers it half the time it doesn't work or takes longer than simply swiping a credit card. More than once I have been in line at Walmart when someone has tried to use Apple or Google Pay and the clerk said something like "that never works." We also have many smaller places that are cash only, meaning you would be out of luck with just a phone for payment.

Do you have a certain limit? Over in the Uk we can only use a max of £45 for contactless , id have thought the USA would have been really hot on that type of payment tbh

wakawaka89

May 27, 2020
Visit site
I use Google Pay when I can -- I think it's convenient, and I'm satisfied with the security. These days, with contamination concerns, it's nice to do things completely contactless as well.

thats actually a pretty good point! I dont see store staff whipe down card machines as often as i like tbh, however, I guess the responsibility is also on ourselves!!

wakawaka89

May 27, 2020
Visit site
I'm ordering the occasional pizza now and then using Google Pay or G Pay(?) as it might be called. Since the consensus for pizza here is the Shaq-a-roni offered by Papa John's (special pricing for a limited time I'd guess) it is remarkably easy to order this way using the PJ's app.

Whats on a shaq-a-roni im intrigued?! I always use paypal when i order from papa johns or just eat.

wakawaka89

May 27, 2020
Visit site
I am concerned for overall security as I have heard horror stories of people being able to use NFC readers to take money from you that way! Even through your pocket! I know it can be done with your card and I have one of those NFC protector wallets

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site

That's so interesting. I thought, by now mobile payments would be nr 1 choice in the US, but apparently not. I guess there's a lot of people who still prefer cash as well. I go between the two, if its a big retailer, I'll go with credit/debit card, if its a local business, I know its better for them when customers pay in cash, so I prefer that.

xTlex

Jun 15, 2020
Visit site

True dat, I also prefer contactless, but I just reach for whichever is closest (wallet or phone), however I still do have a small doubt about privacy when it comes to mobile payments.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
Whats on a shaq-a-roni im intrigued?! I always use paypal when i order from papa johns or just eat.

Enjoyment of most foods is subjective but here, between my stepson and my girlfriend, the Shaq-a-roni has been a hit. It's the sauce, crust and wall-to-wall pepperoni everyone seems to enjoy. Every time we've ordered the Shaq-a-roni to-date my girlfriend has made a Ceasar Salad to go along with it; anchovies are optional but I prefer those on a traditional Caesar Salad.

Last edited:

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I use samsung pay or walmart pay. every once in a while I do google pay but lately only online. I do have kroger pay setup, just not used it yet since kroger is in another town.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
True dat, I also prefer contactless, but I just reach for whichever is closest (wallet or phone), however I still do have a small doubt about privacy when it comes to mobile payments.

these days you have just as much privacy as if you wrote a check or used plastic. everything is keeping track of you - except cash unless you use a rewards card.

wakawaka89

May 27, 2020
Visit site
That's so interesting. I thought, by now mobile payments would be nr 1 choice in the US, but apparently not. I guess there's a lot of people who still prefer cash as well. I go between the two, if its a big retailer, I'll go with credit/debit card, if its a local business, I know its better for them when customers pay in cash, so I prefer that.

I'm the opposite I like the cashless option but I'm still on the fence with mobile payment. Cash just seems pointless now

wakawaka89

May 27, 2020
Visit site
I use samsung pay or walmart pay. every once in a while I do google pay but lately only online. I do have kroger pay setup, just not used it yet since kroger is in another town.

I didn't even no waart pay was a thing, we have Asda in the UK so I wonder if they will bring that over here as that's part of the Walmart family

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney