I got the P40 Pro and I've gotten used to the new way of doing things. I just don't know whether that's good enough for everyone, I was thinking of getting a P40 Pro for my GF as well, but she's never had anything else other than iPhones and Samsungs. What does everyone think, is App Gallery + Petal Search even enough, or do you think it will spook people away from Huawei?
    09-11-2020 02:25 AM
    It really depends on how invested she is in Google ecosystem. I couldn't manage with the P40 Pro. But for other people it has been fine. As long as her banking apps work I guess she should be OK.

It is a nice phone. She may like it.
    09-11-2020 02:30 AM
    It really depends on how invested she is in Google ecosystem. I couldn't manage with the P40 Pro. But for other people it has been fine. As long as her banking apps work I guess she should be OK.

If she's an iPhone user I doubt she's overly invested in Google, I know I wasn't.

Saying that there may be issues with needing to phone clone certain apps, do you have an android phone you can do that from?
    09-11-2020 02:33 AM
    I think right now its good enough for certain groups of people. Those that like myself and most like yourself are fairly tech savvy and can work our way around things and enjoy or at least don't mind doing so. I think the other group of people are probably the majority of smartphone buyers who just want a good camera and use their phone for social media and some casual gaming all of which the non google devices from Huawei offer with no hassles. Where it falls down for me is those in the middle that use their phones for a bit more like contactless payments, buying coffee through the stores app etc. The younger generation to whom carrying a bank card is alien never mind cash. So imo Huawei need to sort those things before they can think about getting people like that to buy their phones.
    09-11-2020 02:35 AM

Ye, good point. She has a bit of work to do on GSheets, but it's not a big focus since she can use her laptop, it's just one of those "nice to have" things. Her banking is another issue though she has Royal Bank of Scotland here in the uk and apparently it doesn't work. She's not upgrading for another 4 months, so still looking around. Cheers
    09-11-2020 04:35 AM
    If she's an iPhone user I doubt she's overly invested in Google, I know I wasn't.

Saying that there may be issues with needing to phone clone certain apps, do you have an android phone you can do that from?
    Ye, I think the Google is not the big problem, she can get around that, might be the Banking issue though. I do have my P20 pro still, it's hassle to do the whole thing, it will depends on much she likes the camera and the style in the I'm guessing.
    09-11-2020 04:37 AM
    I think right now its good enough for certain groups of people. Those that like myself and most like yourself are fairly tech savvy and can work our way around things and enjoy or at least don't mind doing so. I think the other group of people are probably the majority of smartphone buyers who just want a good camera and use their phone for social media and some casual gaming all of which the non google devices from Huawei offer with no hassles. Where it falls down for me is those in the middle that use their phones for a bit more like contactless payments, buying coffee through the stores app etc. The younger generation to whom carrying a bank card is alien never mind cash. So imo Huawei need to sort those things before they can think about getting people like that to buy their phones.
    You're spot on, I might wait what their new release brings, along with EMUI 11. Hopefully those gaps can filled and they will be good enough the "average Joe".
    09-11-2020 04:51 AM
    How's everyone liking their P40/Pro? What's the biggest "hiccup" form you? Mine is Google Pay, which I didn't use much, but it was nice to have the safety blanket in case I forgot my wallet. And deliveroo not working.
    09-11-2020 04:55 AM
    How's everyone liking their P40/Pro? What's the biggest "hiccup" form you? Mine is Google Pay, which I didn't use much, but it was nice to have the safety blanket in case I forgot my wallet. And deliveroo not working.
    I do like the p40 Pro, it's not as big an issue I thought it would be. But I can relate, I'm notorious for forgetting my purse and relied on the pay services and even more devestating is the Costa app not working for me.
    On the plus it means I'm always carrying my purse and checking for it
    09-11-2020 08:38 AM
    I do like the p40 Pro, it's not as big an issue I thought it would be. But I can relate, I'm notorious for forgetting my purse and relied on the pay services and even more devestating is the Costa app not working for me.
    On the plus it means I'm always carrying my purse and checking for it
    Hah, I'm the same I "forget" my wallet at least once a week. For the payments, you could try Amex Pay (if you have it), you can get it through Phone Clone, or Curve, it's available on App Gallery.
    09-15-2020 04:33 AM
    Ye, good point. She has a bit of work to do on GSheets, but it's not a big focus since she can use her laptop, it's just one of those "nice to have" things. Her banking is another issue though she has Royal Bank of Scotland here in the uk and apparently it doesn't work. She's not upgrading for another 4 months, so still looking around. Cheers
    Barclays doesn't work either. When I had the P40 Pro I didn't install banking apps as it was a loan phone and I had my banking set up on my own phone.
    09-15-2020 06:48 AM
    The banking app thing is a little bit of a pain for someone coming over from non-android as then where do you get their banking app from from?! We'll see where banks are in a few months and if theyve got round to submitting their apps to app gallery yet
    09-15-2020 10:01 AM
    Barclays doesn't work either. When I had the P40 Pro I didn't install banking apps as it was a loan phone and I had my banking set up on my own phone.
    Ye, I can see that happening, Barclays is among the last ones to adopt any new format, for example it's not even on Google Pay. I'm trialing Curve currently and seems like that + Amex Pay might just work for all my banking needs.
    09-16-2020 09:48 AM
    The banking app thing is a little bit of a pain for someone coming over from non-android as then where do you get their banking app from from?! We'll see where banks are in a few months and if theyve got round to submitting their apps to app gallery yet
    I assume the banks want to cater to their customers using Huawei devices, which are still a ton of us out there. Its just a matter of time basically.
    09-16-2020 09:50 AM