Hi guys I had a huawei y300 and I put files that were pictures and video I made of my baby son into the safe where they were encrypted through a password I made,my huawei broke and so I bought an Alcatel and luckily the files were on the SD card,I put the sim in and the files are just a load of encrypted mumbo jumbo,the files are there but when I open them each image and video is icon shows nothing and next to it is a load of numbers and letters that make no sense lol,is there a way I can retrieve the files to be seen and watched?
    06-23-2018 02:03 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Unfortunately, probably not. When you use a feature like a "safe" or file locker, it's encrypting the file. The only way to decrypt the file is by using the app that encrypted it. Since you're using a completely different phone brand/model, you won't have that same safe feature. I think that even if you got the same model phone, it wouldn't necessarily work, since the encryption key might depend on that specific phone you had that broke.

In the future, don't rely on a device or an SD card as the sole storage for important data, since phones can break and SD cards can fail. Always make sure that data is backed up somewhere reliable, like a couple of hard drives at home, or a reputable cloud storage.
    06-23-2018 05:22 PM