03-18-2018 02:12 AM
26 12
tools
    New to the andriod world, Just made the switch from iphone to andriod, I am with Cricket and bought the LG Stylo with 32 GB SD Memory Card. I hardly have many apps installed on the 8GB phone, I have done the "move apps to SD" option, even though this only moves the app data and keeps a good amount of the app on my actual phone.

All my photos are on the SD Card, Pretty much the apps are taking up all my space, so what is the deal here? I love this phone, but did I screw myself over? Why make a phone with such low memory, sell a 32 GB card and not be able to install any apps to it or be able to move full apps to the SD Card?

I have a 32 GB card sitting here with a handfull of photos on it wasteing away, any advice on the app issues? I have done some google searches and hear there are methods, but not finding any realy great advice. Thanks!
    11-30-2015 09:36 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! The reason to make a phone with low memory is to cover the budget or entry-level market. The SD card has always been primarily useful for media storage, not app installation. In general, you should always get a phone with as much internal storage as you can afford. 16 GB is almost too small these days--but of course, it depends on what your usage habits are. The more apps you want to install (and the bigger those apps are), the more you're going to run into low storage issues.

See this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...-warnings.html
    12-01-2015 02:21 PM
    Okay thank you for the responce, so pretty much I am screwed over by about $250, its too bad, I love the phone, but this storage issue is a disaster. My new issue now is whatever "system data" is, mine is using up close to 2 GB of data, there is no way to look at this or erase any of this. Did several google searches and many many people have this problem, but there are zero answers, any advice?
    12-03-2015 04:59 PM
    Where are you seeing this System Data? Are you talking about data usage from your wireless data plan? Or are you talking about data that's stored on the phone's internal storage?
    12-03-2015 06:17 PM
    Under Settings, storage, miscellaneous and right at the top is "storage data" Over 1 GB and no way click on it, see the files, erase the data, nothing.
    12-03-2015 07:17 PM
    Since it's system data, you don't want to mess with that anyway. See this guide for some tips on maximizing the storage you have: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...-warnings.html
    12-03-2015 08:47 PM
    I have done most of that, all media is on my SD Card and I have like 6 apps installed, still have over a GB of this System Data, so no way to address this? I am simply stuck with losing a GB of memory in this already reduced memory phone? Since i cant use the SD card for installing apps
    12-04-2015 01:16 AM
    Sorry, not sure what else to tell you besides trying to root the phone and deleting preinstalled or system apps, which I don't have experience with. Deleting system apps can obviously be risky as well.
    12-04-2015 01:31 AM
    My "system data" is up to 1.40GB now, sucking up all my space, phone is borderline unusable now, i have erased pretty much every single app I have on this phone, about to take it back to the store and see what can be done, this is insane, no reason I should be losing a Gig and a half of data on an 8 GB phone with zero explanation on how to fix it.
    12-05-2015 06:42 PM
    Seeing another issue now also, under storage it saying my phone is using 6GB worth of apps, I clicked on that and added up all the app sizes with a calculator and the total is 1.1GB, how is this phone saying my apps are 6GB when I can only count 1 GB worth of app data?? What am I missing here?
    12-05-2015 09:21 PM
    I have the same phone and have 6+ Gb of misc files that I can't see in the internal memory.... 1.25 Gb of apps and 217 Mb left. The apps I have are minimal with FB taking up 280 Mb as my biggest app. I just want to know why the misc file just keeps getting bigger and I can't look at it to get rid of the bull**** that is piling up...
    12-06-2015 09:29 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Remember that the OS and any preinstalled bloatware take up a good chunk of internal storage. The OS itself occupies around 3-4 GB, and bloatware could account for an additional 2 GB or so.
    12-07-2015 11:17 AM
    Same as Paul, my System Data is up to 1.49GB now, why does it keep growing?? You google andriod system data and spend hours reading of people with this same issue and no answers at all
    12-07-2015 07:42 PM
    Check Google Play Music. That can build up quite a bit of data due to caching music.
    12-07-2015 10:29 PM
    I don't have that, I uninstalled and disabled pretty much all pre installed apps except for google play store due to my memory issue
    12-08-2015 09:08 AM
    My system data is now up to 2.25GB, i have 123MB of free memory left on this phone.
    12-09-2015 06:28 PM
    If you go to Settings>Apps>All​, can you sort them by size?
    12-09-2015 09:23 PM
    Just did a factory reset on my phone as it got to the point where it was unusable, My system data is over 5GB on my 8GB phone, I am going back to cricket tomorrow and see what can be done, something is up and it's insane no one has any answers on what system data is and why is it killing phones
    12-09-2015 09:31 PM
    I tried everything i could think of to fix the memory issue with no results. I decided to do a reset after dbl checking that all was backed up. It worked like a charm! I just got my LGGS on the 4th of Dec and this minor issue isnt enough to make me switch phones.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-13-2015 04:13 AM
    The metropcs and the T-Mobile version has a lot more memory. Sorry to hear about this issue
    12-13-2015 10:48 PM
    I've had my Stylo sense August 2015. I clear cache daily to keep my phone running smoothly.
    My Stylo is on Boost mobile.
    I just got the Android 6 update today. After you do the update you will be able to move certain apps and games completely to your sd card to free up space.
    01-20-2016 04:13 AM
    Your answers on this subject re wack
    01-22-2016 08:27 PM
    I discovered two deeper issues relating to why my phone’s available “internal memory” continues to shrink. Yes, clearing the phone’s cache and, if possible, moving user-apps to an external SD card did help somewhat. However, it did not resolve the underlining issue where available internal memory continues to shrink over time. As a result, to avoid low memory warnings and increase internal memory, I had to uninstall some user-apps. Eventually, I reach a point where phone’s internal memory was critically low again, and I cannot delete any more user-apps. As a result, I was forced to perform a full factory restore. While a factory restore returns the phone to a perfect clean state, freeing up all the internal memory again, I eventually would find myself back in the same sinking boat, with a phone suffering from low memory…

OK, here is what I discovered as the problems. First, there are numerous “write##.pcm” files building up in the “data/” directory. Secondly, when system apps, including bloatware, update from the Play Store, the update process leaves huge files behind.

LG Stylo Low Memory but 32 GB Help!-screenshot_2017-02-23-14-08-11.png

LG Stylo Low Memory but 32 GB Help!-screenshot_2017-02-23-13-58-49.png

By manually deleting and integrating these orphaned files, I eliminated my phone’s low internal memory issue. This is not a permanent fix. Every week or two I need to revisit the “data/” directory and delete the accumulated “write##.pcm” files. Additionally, when a system app updates, I need to open the Link2SD app and select the system app that just updated, and then click the “integrate updates into system” option. In the end, it does take a few minutes every week or so to keep the phone tuned up. Averaging out, I have a decent phone that was not expensive, so a few minutes every few weeks, to keep the phone working, is not a deal breaker.

So how did I actually resolve this problem, I rooted my phone and installed a few maintenance apps. One app allow me to manually delete write##.pcm files. A second app removes the left over files after a default system app updates.

Phone details:
    • Phone model number: LG-H634
    • Android version: 5.1.1
    • Patch Level: 2015-11-01

Corrective steps:
    1. Root the phone.
    a. I successfully installed and use the “KingRoot” app on my phone.
    b. Rooting is necessary to gain access to locked directories and files.
    c. This app is not available on Google Play store. You will have to find it yourself on the Internet or locate an alternate phone rooting app… Google “how to root” and read and learn…
    d. NOTE: KingRoot installs with a charging, lock screen, and weather notification widget. This app is enabled by default, so within KingRoot, select General Settings and disable this feature.

2. Install a file manager.
    a. I successfully installed “Root File Manager” (by MobilDev). This app allows me to navigate to the “data/” and delete the write##.pcm files. This is available on Google Play store.
    b. The .pcm files have something to do with audio. I steam iHeartRadio and my son watches a lot of YouTube… I read complaints from other users with low memory issues, who solely listen to music.
    c. NOTE: Originally, to determine which files building up, I used an app called “DiskUsage” from Ivan Volosyuk. This app was very useful. This is available on Google Play store.

3. Install an app to integrate Google default apps updates into ROM.
    a. I successfully installed and use the “Link2SD” app. To unlock some additional features, pay the few of dollars for the Pro version. For questions and answers on using this app, read the app’s help.
    b. NOTES: When a default Google apps updates, I use the “Link2SD” app to integrate them into the system. Link2SD is useful for removing files leftover remaining after system apps update. This step alone can recover over one-hundred Megabytes for some apps alone! Below
    c. Here is a form post I found. It expands somewhat on the issue:
    i. "Integrate updates into system" (feature self. Android. Submitted 1 year ago by VJTigasMyPhone UNO (Android One) – Marshmallow)
    • Google (or OEMs) should implement a developer feature like this. Many system apps, including bloatware (Google apps, Facebook, etc.), get updates from the Play Store (and other app stores by OEMs). Those updates will be installed on the /data partition, then the APK files in the /system partition don't have any use anymore. Hundreds of megabytes of app updates in /data folder could be used for other purposes if they are integrated into the ROM.

So in general, root your phone, then every week or two, use ‘Root File Manger’ to delete all write##.pcm files, and use ‘Link2SD’ to look for recently updated system apps and integrate them.
    Laurie Leavitt likes this.
    03-06-2017 05:42 PM
    That is ridiculous
    12-08-2017 06:55 PM
    Why? I will try anything. My System Data file, Nougat 7, 16GB, has eaten my space to 2.38 GB. You just cannot say "ridiculous" without qualifying your insult.
    If you have a magical potion, a certain time we must leave the phone in the freezer, or the fix we use to use when a cpu acted up for no apparent reason-put it in the tech van and drive it over speed bumps for 30 mins.
    Do tell
    03-17-2018 11:37 PM
26 12