Hi all,

I have a Samsung galaxy ace phone (can't remember the exact model and now have no way of checking) which I fried by rooting, then loading a custom OS and over clocking it. Now, when it has battery, the device screen will go slightly greenish, only noticeable in the dark, and that is all.
    I am not very good with electronics in general but would very much like to know more about it. In this case, what component is likely to be the cause of all this trouble? Would it be the processor? Or maybe it's some part of the screen?
    I know it would cost more than the phone's value to repair it, but I would like to do it for instructional and learning purposes, if possible.

Thanks!
    Chris

Posted via Android Central App
    11-12-2015 02:31 PM
    Unfortunately it can be mostly anything in the phone. A 'blank' screen (the greenish hue is probably just from the LED backlight) can mean that the software isn't loading at all, which can be caused by faulty or wiped memory chip, bad motherboard, burnt fuses, etc. But it can also mean that the screen is faulty (not very likely since the backlight works and you'd see some other sort of artifacts on the display), it's disconnected or the display driver is fried...

Have you tried taking it to a service station and see if they can re-flash it? Maybe it's just a flashing issue and it can be saved.
    11-12-2015 03:05 PM
    Unfortunately it can be mostly anything in the phone. A 'blank' screen (the greenish hue is probably just from the LED backlight) can mean that the software isn't loading at all, which can be caused by faulty or wiped memory chip, bad motherboard, burnt fuses, etc. But it can also mean that the screen is faulty (not very likely since the backlight works and you'd see some other sort of artifacts on the display), it's disconnected or the display driver is fried...

Have you tried taking it to a service station and see if they can re-flash it? Maybe it's just a flashing issue and it can be saved.
    11-12-2015 03:05 PM
    I hadn't thought of the possibility of this being a software problem. I guess flashing the stock firmware would be worth a shot but I'm pretty confident this is a hardware problem and that I won't get anywhere if I try to reload the OS.

11-12-2015 03:30 PM
    Actually it's a good 'step 1' even to try to diagnose what could be wrong. If you can load new firmware with a computer, then that narrows a lot of things down to mostly display issues. If communication is null, then that just leaves you back at square 1.
    11-12-2015 05:13 PM
    Well, it's not detected by my computer or by odin after trying all the USB ports with a cable which should be powerful enough. So it kind of confirms my initial fears unfortunately.

11-13-2015 01:11 PM
    Still not necessarily. If there is no software in the chip, the hardware might still work, but not the drivers. A service station (with Samsung firmware and access to the non-volatile memory) might still be able to re-flash it. It's not a computer per se, it's a special station with special hardware/firmware for that.
    11-13-2015 02:26 PM
    I'll look into that. If it's not too dear I might go for it. I wouldn't use the phone really, my Q10 covers all my needs so I wouldn't want to put too much into it.

(PS: FWIW, I found the exact model, it's a GT-S5839i).

11-14-2015 04:06 AM