Girlfriend has I think either a Galaxy 5 or the Galaxy Note version (Note 2?), whatever has the light pen thing.

Last few months, she's had a serious problem with the GPS crapping out randomly. Makes no difference if rural or urban, or if downloaded GPS utilities show it seeing 12 satellites or more at once - the map just spins and spins and spins, then zooms out and has no idea where it is. (under google maps) This can go on for minutes - then eventually it will figure out where it is again and start working.

I don't know anything about how to even start diagnosing or figuring out where the problem is thats causing this. If it's a GPS hardware problem, an OS issue, a software issue or what. I assume it cant be a cellular provider info/GPS shouldn't be dependant on them, plus it's happened in the giant metro with endless 4G LTE coverage anyways.

I'm not even sure what apps to look for or download to get an idea of what is occuring. Where do I start?
    09-14-2016 02:33 PM
    Could be a hardware issue. I would recommend taking it to a professional if you're not that tech savvy
    09-14-2016 10:24 PM
    Well i'm trying to become tech savvy. And she's more tech savvy than I am she's just rurally working where there's no service so it's easier for me to ask for leads right now.

There has to be some kind of apps out there that could help me figure out exactly what signals are coming out of the GPS and how to compare that with what it should be or shouldn't be. Even making some kind of log that could be posted for others to look for to be able to say "yeah that dont make sense" vs other things. It's just a needle in a haystack since I don't even know what features the GPS app needs for me to do that - we downloaded a few things that seemed less than what they say on the cover and don't want to end up with malware... and trying to avoid a total phone wipe and reset if not necessary because it was a real PITA (other problem for a different thread) last time.
    09-15-2016 12:34 AM