Samsung Buds or Samsung Icon X: which one?

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
So I'm excited about the buds but I'm honestly in the market for earphones now and the icon x is available. Which one would you pick? And does the icon x have some of the same features as the buds like wireless charging and EQ settings in the galaxy wearable app?

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
No, the iconX2018 do not support wireless charging. It's one of the best features for the buds. I suggest the buds, but your budget may not support them.

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
No, the iconX2018 do not support wireless charging. It's one of the best features for the buds. I suggest the buds, but your budget may not support them.

Shoot brand new iconx I'm finding online are more than the buds lol. And I refuse to buy in ear headphones used

chrism8922@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
The Gear IconX have onboard storage, but many reviews complained about the sound dropping out of one side after a few months.

I'm torn as well - I like the USB C and wireless options of the buds, but I had hoped they'd have onboard storage.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The Gear IconX have onboard storage, but many reviews complained about the sound dropping out of one side after a few months.

I'm torn as well - I like the USB C and wireless options of the buds, but I had hoped they'd have onboard storage.

Huh? You're saying the buds do not have storage, that you're forced to stream music from your phone, 100% of the time?

Wolfpack_Lamb

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
Huh? You're saying the buds do not have storage, that you're forced to stream music from your phone, 100% of the time?

The Galaxy buds do not have on board storage. I never really understood on board storage on buds anyway. First all my music is through Google Play Music so Samsung won't let me transfer that, second how do you even control and pick songs. It is not often that I have a need to listen to music and my phone isn't also on my person. If onboard storage is a deal breaker though you definitely will want the iconx

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The Galaxy buds do not have on board storage. I never really understood on board storage on buds anyway. First all my music is through Google Play Music so Samsung won't let me transfer that, second how do you even control and pick songs. It is not often that I have a need to listen to music and my phone isn't also on my person. If onboard storage is a deal breaker though you definitely will want the iconx

I thought I heard the buds have 8 gb of on board storage, but I couldn't find that anywhere on the internet. Just going through the Galaxy Wear app, you're right, there is no way to add music.

So, let me explain on board storage. It allows you to leave your phone at home if you want to go for a run or walk around the neighborhood. Plus it cuts down on battery expenditure on the buds. Playing music from the buds' storage doesn't run the battery down like it does when you stream from your phone. The original iconX had this option.

Personally, I wouldn't buy the original buds at this time. You probably won't find an unused set to begin with. Even if you did, they'd probably be near the same price as the new Galaxy Buds. My original iconX batteries barely last an hour. Sadly I have no experience with the ixonX 2018 buds, but what I've seen online, they're about $40 more expensive than the new Galaxy Buds.