Galaxy Tab A 10.1 battery drain (idle)

m0rthian

Jul 3, 2017
Visit site
Okay, so I bought this tablet a couple of months ago and was always amazed by its battery. I could leave the tablet on for days and days that the battery would hold without any problems.

Suddenly and out of nowhere, I started to notice battery drain while the tablet was idle. I would charge it at night and next morning I would have around 30% less battery, something that never happened before. This with Wi-Fi off and pretty much everything else. I know there's always consumption but these numbers don't make any sense. Even less given the history of this tablet, with heavy use and always reliable when it came to battery.

Recently 7.0 came out, I decided to give it a shot to see if it would fix the problem. Did nothing, tablet is exactly the same. After installing the new OS version, wiping data and cache, disabling all the unnecessary features I could think of, having NO apps (other than the stock ones) installed (bloatware disabled), the tablet is still losing battery like crazy.

Also tried to go back to stock 6.0.1 and the problem was still there. Since nothing helped right now im back to 7.0 and I'm running out of ideas here.

Any advice would be welcome.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal -- only if this is an LTE-enabled device).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! How about giving us the information I asked the OP for 3.5 years ago?;)

Hartwigw

Jul 29, 2022
Visit site
Okay, so I bought this tablet a couple of months ago and was always amazed by its battery. I could leave the tablet on for days and days that the battery would hold without any problems.

Suddenly and out of nowhere, I started to notice battery drain while the tablet was idle. I would charge it at night and next morning I would have around 30% less battery, something that never happened before. This with Wi-Fi off and pretty much everything else. I know there's always consumption but these numbers don't make any sense. Even less given the history of this tablet, with heavy use and always reliable when it came to battery.

Recently 7.0 came out, I decided to give it a shot to see if it would fix the problem. Did nothing, tablet is exactly the same. After installing the new OS version, wiping data and cache, disabling all the unnecessary features I could think of, having NO apps (other than the stock ones) installed (bloatware disabled), the tablet is still losing battery like crazy.

Also tried to go back to stock 6.0.1 and the problem was still there. Since nothing helped right now im back to 7.0 and I'm running out of ideas here.

Any advice would be welcome.

This might be related to the power management ic. When you connect a USB Stick or USB mouse to the tablet, or anything that requires the OTG functionality provided by the tablet, does that work fine, or is it affected as well?
In my case the problem was with the Pmic. I got it replaced by a repair shop, which was an easy and quick task for them. I can strongly recommend that!

Last edited: