Hi there I am a previous windows phone user and first time android user. My Sony Xperia M5 storage space is quite low. I cannot root it to remove the bloat Ware and cannot seem to increase space.
    I have tried clearing the cache and nothing has worked.
    Need help??
    Éire
    02-22-2017 08:44 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Show us a screenshot of the Settings>Storage menu: http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...d-central.html.

Have you installed a lot of apps? Do you have a lot of media files saved to the phone, like videos and photos?
    djeire84 likes this.
    02-23-2017 03:35 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Show us a screenshot of the Settings>Storage menu: http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...d-central.html.

Have you installed a lot of apps? Do you have a lot of media files saved to the phone, like videos and photos?
    Hi there thanks for the reply. Here is the steps I took to try and gain more storage.
    1. I reinstalled my phone using Xperia Companion
    2. I reinstalled and updated all my apps
    3. I then proceeded to move the updated apps (the ones I could move) to SD as I have found if the app is moved to SD and then updated the files can stay in the internal storage.
    4. Used the native File Commander to move the folders from the internal to the SD card.

So much of a faff to just get a few GB of storage space.
    Attached Thumbnails Sony Xperia M5 storage issue-screenshot_20170223-235831.jpg  
    02-23-2017 07:05 PM
    Remember that a 16 GB device doesn't have all 16 GB available to the user for storage. At least 3-4 GB are typically taken up by the OS, and if there is a lot of bloatware from the manufacturer or carrier, that can be an additional 1-3 GB. So for a 16 GB phone, the actual space available to the user is typically around 11 GB.
    djeire84 likes this.
    02-24-2017 11:38 AM
    Remember that a 16 GB device doesn't have all 16 GB available to the user for storage. At least 3-4 GB are typically taken up by the OS, and if there is a lot of bloatware from the manufacturer or carrier, that can be an additional 1-3 GB. So for a 16 GB phone, the actual space available to the user is typically around 11 GB.
    When I had my Lumia 640XL and when I installed the apps to the SD they get update to there and the space remains free and when I had my default storage location to the SD the files, pics and videos get saved to there. My storage is seeming to evaporate this is how it looks now.
    Attached Thumbnails Sony Xperia M5 storage issue-screenshot_20170224-202518.jpg  
    02-24-2017 03:25 PM
    You should be able to see a breakdown of what's using up your storage. What happens if you tap the Internal Storage heading in that screenshot?
    02-24-2017 09:31 PM
    Hi there I am a previous windows phone user and first time android user. My Sony Xperia M5 storage space is quite low. I cannot root it to remove the bloat Ware and cannot seem to increase space.
    I have tried clearing the cache and nothing has worked.
    Need help??
    Éire
    hello, yes, you can root your phone, i've done it. for unlock your bootloader you can follow the guide in developers.sonymobile site, selecting any other device (i chose m2), then for obtain root follow this guide:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/xpe...-root-t3453072

in this way you can free a lot of space and, with link2sd installed you can delete a lot of apps and move more of them to sd. unfortunately this don't work for whattsapp, but for the rest does!

make me know if you need more info!

ciao
    03-10-2017 06:37 AM