11-14-2015 08:41 PM
32 12
tools
    I've had my Moto 360 46mm (2nd Gen) for about 3 weeks now and it has started to develop a noticeable yellow hue in the 5 o'clock and 11 o'clock positions. I've worn it to work and home and it sits on its charger over night on my desk. It wasn't like this when I got it and I've been really careful with it.

Has anyone else seen this on theirs? Does anyone have any experience with the Moto 360 exchange program listed on their site? It says you get a "like new" device. This thing doesn't even have a scratch on it, just curious of the condition of the replacement units.

Yellowing of the screen?-img_20151025_191656.jpg

Yellowing of the screen?-img_20151025_191836.jpg

Really disheartening, I've been looking forward to this watch for a long time and I really love it.
    10-25-2015 07:24 PM
    I've had my Moto 360 46mm (2nd Gen) for about 3 weeks now and it has started to develop a noticeable yellow hue in the 5 o'clock and 11 o'clock positions. I've worn it to work and home and it sits on its charger over night on my desk. It wasn't like this when I got it and I've been really careful with it.

Has anyone else seen this on theirs? Does anyone have any experience with the Moto 360 exchange program listed on their site? It says you get a "like new" device. This thing doesn't even have a scratch on it, just curious of the condition of the replacement units.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151025_191656.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	447.5 KB 
ID:	203055

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20151025_191836.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	386.1 KB 
ID:	203054

Really disheartening, I've been looking forward to this watch for a long time and I really love it.
    That sucks, I don't have this problem and I've had my watch since launch... However you can just contact Motorola and they will send you a new one. No problem 😉

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-25-2015 08:53 PM
    I think it is inherent to an LCD screen? or at least the screens in these watches? I just got a new watch that I turned on for the first time tonight and it has a little yellow in the same spots as yours and also a little "darker" spot in the center. I don't think it is a big deal as you are likely to get one with more severe defects if you return it for another.
    10-25-2015 11:36 PM
    ...you are likely to get one with more severe defects if you return it for another.
    Do you speak from experience with the Moto 360 exchange program? Have they returned worse off devices back to you before? Just curious, trying to gauge if a swap with Moto is something I'd pursue. Thank you.
    10-26-2015 10:31 AM
    I probably shouldn't of used the word likely. possibly would be a better word. i am speaking about devices in general. i have exchanged out a few tablets for minor things only to get a new one with a worse defect (minor screen discoloration for a big gap in the casing etc.). i'm not saying that this is definitely going to happen with the moto watch but it is something that you should always consider thoroughly before exchanging. btw the yellow on my screen is a little worse now than it was yesterday. i'm not sure what i am going to do. i have a feeling that a high percentage of these watches have at least a little yellow discoloration in those exact same spots. it seems to be something with the design.
    10-26-2015 01:28 PM
    Since my last post i have been noticing the yellow tint in mine get progressively worse. it is about as bad as the one in op's picture. i am now contemplating exchanging it as i just had it delivered last Friday and am well within the 14 day period. it would be nice if some more people would chime in here and let us know how their screens look to establish how common of an occurrence this is.
    Attached Thumbnails Yellowing of the screen?-img_20151027_185228.jpg   Yellowing of the screen?-img_20151027_185500.jpg  
    10-27-2015 07:00 PM
    I just received mine on the 22nd of October also. Today was the first day I actually got a chance to wear it. When I put it on I noticed at the bottom right of the screen (same place as in both of your images) mine had the yellowing as well. I called Motorola and was on the phone with them for 30-60 minutes and they took it themselves as a defective screen unit. They emailed me a return shipping label as well as a code to re-order another watch at no additional cost. I was about to put in the order for the new watch but I noticed that I would be charged for any changes I made, metal band and micro knurl, even though that was what I had on my original unit. I will call them tomorrow to see why that is. But it seems pretty simple to get a new one sent out.
    10-28-2015 02:16 AM
    I'm not so sure it's easy to find one without at least a little yellowing on the screen. I don't know what I'm going to do yet. I might just return mine for a refund and go get one at the local best buy. At least that way I can avoid all of the wasted time if I have to go through a few watches before I get a good one. Or I might just keep mine as it is perfect otherwise. I have a feeling a good percentage of these watches either have a little yellowing on the screen right out of the box or will develop it in short time to some degree.
    10-28-2015 07:21 AM
    If you're going to exchange it, or anything for that matter, exchange it early until you get a good one. Do it before they start recycling returned units as "refurbished."

brosko likes this.
    10-28-2015 09:22 AM
    I went ahead and did the advanced exchange on mine, they are sending me a new unit 1st and then once I get it I will send my old one back. Want to make sure the one I get is not worse off than the one I am sending in.

Edit: I do have to say I am not the least bit impressed by their phone customer service. I don't think I would purchase another Motorolla device for this reason alone.
    brosko likes this.
    10-28-2015 03:19 PM
    I might just return mine to moto for a refund and go to best buy and deal with them. Don't you have to pay $25 or something for the advanced exchange? On a side note: do you know of you can still purchase the extended moto accident protection plan even if the device wasn't purchased directly from moto? Best buys plan is like $80
    10-28-2015 09:23 PM
    I was thinking about buying at Best Buy or Nordstroms ( earlier thread on this forum - somewhat open ended return period ) as well to avoid the hassles so many people complain about with Motorola and possibly extended coverage via Square Trade - $44.99 for 2 year complete coverage with $59 deductible or $99 no deductible. For the price of the item I probably won't get the extended coverage as it's a pretty steep cost ratio.
    10-29-2015 12:01 AM
    It's a shame amazon doesn't sell them. What a great company to deal with. I still wonder how many of these screens have at some yellow tint in these same spots?
    10-29-2015 07:19 AM
    I might just return mine to moto for a refund and go to best buy and deal with them. Don't you have to pay $25 or something for the advanced exchange? On a side note: do you know of you can still purchase the extended moto accident protection plan even if the device wasn't purchased directly from moto? Best buys plan is like $80
    I tried to return it so I could go buy one local and check it out. Moto shut me down and cited it was a few days past the 14 day return period.
    10-29-2015 09:28 AM
    It's a shame amazon doesn't sell them. What a great company to deal with. I still wonder how many of these screens have at some yellow tint in these same spots?
    I received mine (46mm) on Tuesday. So far, I can't see any yellow on mine at all.

It might be helpful when talking about things related to the screen or to battery life if people specified which size they have. In this case, I wonder if the yellowing is specific to one size or the other.
    10-29-2015 09:37 AM
    I received mine (46mm) on Tuesday. So far, I can't see any yellow on mine at all.

It might be helpful when talking about things related to the screen or to battery life if people specified which size they have. In this case, I wonder if the yellowing is specific to one size or the other.
    I agree. Mine is a 46mm.
    10-29-2015 09:51 AM
    Now to make matters worse I just noticed on the moto site that all 3 colors of the 46mm cases are on back order. I'm not even sure I could exchange it now without waiting weeks. Looking more and more like I will be visiting best buy and going with the 46mm silver case/bezel with the cognac band and just returning this one to moto.
    10-29-2015 10:00 AM
    That yellowing can happen on anything with an LCD screen. The glues used in the screen/digitizer layers, and heat; something like that. The vast majority never exhibit that, but unfortunately, some do.

10-29-2015 12:54 PM
    You can read about and see multiple images of the 360 "yellow ring" on multiple threads on reddit for both 1st and 2nd gen. watches - the discussions center on heat and glue as PookiePrancer points out. One guy got three in a row from a Best Buy.
    10-29-2015 01:27 PM
    Well I went ahead and started the refund process and placed an order for another watch. I also went for a black micro knurled bezel instead of the silver chamfer bezel this time. Hopefully I get a perfect one this time.
    10-31-2015 01:29 PM
    Hopefully I get a perfect one this time.
    Good luck to you, sir!
    brosko likes this.
    10-31-2015 10:18 PM
    Good luck to you, sir!
    Thanks!
    I might need it my good man.
    11-01-2015 08:14 PM
    I went ahead and did the advanced exchange on mine, they are sending me a new unit 1st and then once I get it I will send my old one back. Want to make sure the one I get is not worse off than the one I am sending in.

Edit: I do have to say I am not the least bit impressed by their phone customer service. I don't think I would purchase another Motorolla device for this reason alone.
    How is your replacement watch? My replacement should be here early next week
    11-04-2015 08:18 PM
    I have had mine for a month and nothing of the sort with mine. I don't think it's a common thing.
    brosko likes this.
    11-05-2015 12:26 PM
    Well I got my replacement watch and it is a complete piece of garbage! The case is ground down about 2mm lower in several spots causing the bezel to not sit flush. It looks like a drunk did it by hand with a file. Absolutely disgusting for the $ they ask for this thing. Even worse the screen gets all distorted with black lines when even the slightest amount of pressure is applied to the left side (opposite the crown button) back cover of the watch. I have a feeling all are like this to some extent. You all should test yours. This is invoked by something so slight as a flex of the wrist when wearing the watch. It's amazing that this thing even sells to be honest. Either that or I have some really bad luck, but i doubt it because I noticed on both of my watches that the crown button bezel that surrounds it came not fully seated in the case as they were both assembled poorly. This is a sign as to the "capable hands" that assemble this trash. I can only imagine how these things are assembled, but I'd rather not tbh.

All of this made me realize anyway that this watch is already antiquated as it is. With speaker support coming out for Android anyway now and Android pay support soon to follow for sure it doesn't pay go get this anyway.

I got lucky in the fact that Motorola actually refunded my money in under 10 days for the first watch (I have read some horror stories) now just to send the 2nd piece of junk back and be done with it. I have ordered aa used first gen moto 360 from amazon to play around with Android wear for the meantime until it matures and it's worth getting a high end watch. For me this definitely won't be a Motorola. Motorola has really gone downhill since lenovo purchased it unfortunately. They are NOT a company that can be depended onto deliver a quality product anymore. What a shame!
    11-13-2015 08:47 PM
32 12