Moto 360: Battery Life Expectations

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Everyone has been mentioning battery life as a deciding factor in this thread so far but no one has defined exactly what kind of battery life they would be happy with.

Now with that said, this is basically a mini computer on your wrist and not a run of the mill watch so we logically can't expect months of battery life but I feel 3-4 days of battery life would make me very happy.

What kind of battery life would you be satisfied with on the Moto 360?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Re: Motorola: Moto 360 Smartwatch powered by Android Wear

Everyone has been mentioning battery life as a deciding factor in this thread so far but no one has defined exactly what kind of battery life they would be happy with.

Now with that said, this is basically a mini computer on your wrist and not a run of the mill watch so we logically can't expect months of battery life but I feel 3-4 days of battery life would make me very happy.

2+ days with normal use (Probably checking weather a few times, replying to texts and looking at notifications)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

I'd say they'll advertise an "all day" battery life with a price point of about 250. Just a guess. Seems like a great piece of hardware I just can't see paying 400+ for this.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I expect to get 2 days with a color touchscreen.

Posted via Android Central App

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

For me, if it can comfortably get through one day, that is fine with me. By comfortably, I mean that I want to be able to just use it without thinking about how I'm using it or worrying about battery life. I do not wear watches to bed, so, since I'll be taking it off every single night anyway, charging it every night is really not a big deal to me. Even more so if it uses wireless charging.

It would be kinda neat if they used some sort of kinetic (like many traditional watches) or solar charging to extend the battery life. I know neither solution would provide enough power to actually charge the device, but one or both could provide enough supplemental power so as to slow the battery drain by a decent amount.

Last edited by a moderator:

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
..what if the Moto 360 charged by your movement? :)

I posted this on a techblog in the comments on another site, but couldn't that be a problem with Active Display? I know with my X and Maxx, when you only walk by them it triggers the A D. Unless they do something like the twist to open the camera like on their phones, I would wonder if that would be a problem.

MojoVersion8

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
..what if the Moto 360 charged by your movement? :)
this is actually an idea I had regarding how secretive they are about how to charge this watch: maybe it does have wireless charging but also does some kinetic charging to allow the battery last a bit longer
about a week is ideal

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I just hope that "all day" is really all day, regardless of usage and even after the battery has been in use for a couple of years. Given the power of the watches and the reality of their big, LCD displays, I can't imagine getting even two days on this year's hardware. Possibly in a year or two, when the technology is better developed, but I wouldn't bet on it. Just look at how much trouble manufacturers have extending the battery life on phones, and they have far more space to play with.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I just hope that "all day" is really all day, regardless of usage and even after the battery has been in use for a couple of years. Given the power of the watches and the reality of their big, LCD displays, I can't imagine getting even two days on this year's hardware. Possibly in a year or two, when the technology is better developed, but I wouldn't bet on it. Just look at how much trouble manufacturers have extending the battery life on phones, and they have far more space to play with.

The LG G and Gear Live reviews state that "all day" really does mean all day no matter how many notifications you are getting. That is what I expect from the moto, at best 2 days (I think that is a stretch to be honest).

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
lol imagine that, an android wearable dies faster before your actual phone does. now itll just look like a dead watch. wireless charging on that thing would be legit. lasting over 24 hrs would be completely ideal and the only thing that would make sense. imagine you buy this thing and a new phone as well (moto x2, might as well) and then you have these for about a year, thats when you start noticing battery life draining gradually. doesnt seem like these will be things you keep for over 2 yrs. le sigh. thus = the circle of consumerism.

motorola, you have my money for the next moto x and the 360. its already in your pocket, just ship it to me when theyre out, kthxbai.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, I think we're going to remain in the era of daily charging for our devices quite a while longer. It's not ideal, but I've pretty much reconciled myself to it.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

For me, if it can comfortably get through one day, that is fine with me. By comfortably, I mean that I want to be able to just use it without thinking about how I'm using it or worrying about battery life. I do not wear watches to bed, so, since I'll be taking it off every single night anyway, charging it every night is really not a big deal to me. Even more so if it uses wireless charging.

Yes , this EXACTLY. Unless people intend to sleep with this big thing on (why??), if it gets comfortably through a day it is fine by me.

MojoVersion8

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site

mostly people should want more than a day battery life so at least if they forget to charge it one night they can still use it the next day, or if they travel and might not get to charge it that often
but really the longer the better
Yes , this EXACTLY. Unless people intend to sleep with this big thing on (why??), if it gets comfortably through a day it is fine by me.
I might wear mine to bed if I could and if there's an app for it to track sleep like the UP, for some of us that is worth keeping track of

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

mostly people should want more than a day battery life so at least if they forget to charge it one night they can still use it the next day, or if they travel and might not get to charge it that often
but really the longer the better

I might wear mine to bed if I could and if there's an app for it to track sleep like the UP, for some of us that is worth keeping track of

I don't think anyone would argue against longer being better. Some people just have unrealistic expectations. The want features and hardware that demand a certain level of hardware and then want Pebble like battery life. That just isn't realistic with current battery technology and a wrist watch from factor. For me, one day is the minimum. I would gladly welcome better for the reasons you said. However, less than a full day's battery life and I won't even consider it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781