Moto 360 Display Technology

iRobot914

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
What do you think the technology inside the Moto 360 will be?

Based on the Q and A posted, Motorola used things it learned from the Moto Actv in the Moto X and subsequently, things they learned from the Moto X will go into the Moto 360. Combine that with the large percentage of black pixels on the renders just screams AMOLED display, combined with active display tech. It just feeds so well into their progression of technology. The gyro in the watch would shut down the screen when the watch isn't moving, and simply light up the watch face pixels when it is moving. After input, the Android Wear interface would pop up.

I'm excited for what Motorola can do with this tech because they're the only ones that have consumer experience with from-sleep voice activation as well as the active display technology to make battery life less of an issue.

MojoVersion8

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
the Best Buy leak said LCD which makes sense in terms of cost and in a lot of videos it does seem to have a bit of backlight bleeding (though that could just be the colour balance of the videos), but Best Buy could have easily gotten the wrong information (they also list that it has WiFi)

so it's going to either be IPS LCD or AMOLED, both are a sensable choice for different reasons, haven't seen anything conclusive yet

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
AMOLED would be awesome! but I'm not holding my breathe for it, especially at the $250 price point. Hopefully they do have something special though. Didn't Phil have a hands on with one, wouldn't he know and be able to tell the difference?

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
http://youtu.be/HpY8O5Zer78

They explain it in this video. I think the screen is mostly black just showing the time but when you move your arm the way you would to look at a watch the screen come on and it will respond to "OK Google", at least I think that's how it works.

Posted via Android Central App

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Do we know if the screen will be always on? Or have any sort of gesture to turn it on?

This is just my guess... But being an android wear watch, my guess is that the always on feature will be controlled by the android wear app (as it is now with the gear live & g watch).

7evu8ema.jpg

MojoVersion8

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
always on is a standard option in Android Wear so expect to see it on the Moto 360 since they have extremely limited ability to customize the system image
you can set it in the companion app as well as the setting on the watch btw

142mgx.png

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
always on is a standard option in Android Wear so expect to see it on the Moto 360 since they have extremely limited ability to customize the system image
you can set it in the companion app as well as the setting on the watch btw

Why would someone want always on display? Even if it takes just 20% more battery life wouldn't you want to preserve the life as much as possible? If always on screen is off doesn't the screen come on automatically when you bring your wrist up?

MojoVersion8

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
well if you are yet to see always on it's basically a black and white mode where all you can see is the time and some other information, should be extremely efficient on a OLED display and is kinda similar to active display on the Moto X
why? well the gesture they talked about seemed (in demos) to only register when pulling your arm up from the side of your body meaning it isn't going to work when you aren't standing up, never glanced at the time while typing away at a keyboard?

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Why would someone want always on display? Even if it takes just 20% more battery life wouldn't you want to preserve the life as much as possible? If always on screen is off doesn't the screen come on automatically when you bring your wrist up?

As mentioned above, the screen dims until it detects you lifting you arm and making a motion to look at the time or you receive a notification (or, of course, you tap the screen).

I leave my LG G Watch always on because the motion sensor doesn't always trigger if you do a quick glance from an odd angle. You have to specifically perform the arm raise and cross your body motion that is typically associated with checking your watch. Leaving the screen always on allows me to quickly & easily check the time, notifications, and date at a glance and I still get a full days battery out of it (I really don't mind charging it every night).

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
i think always on means, dim, until you turn it fully on, either by touching the screen or pressing the crown on the side...

at least it's like that in this video (consider it's from back end of June)... but great video of what to expect.. looks really good...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFi-QpuZfXs

I'm really glad you linked that video. I never saw that one. Not to sound racist or anything but I'm really glad they used an Asian female for the demo. Obviously has smaller wrist then most of the wrist used in promo videos and whatnot showing men with large wrist. I have small wrists so this was nice to see as now I know I can wear it without looking like a total ***** as the watch isn't overly big.

Posted via Android Central App