Just Received my 360 today and its going back Tomorrow

joe767

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
My moto 360 arrived today and during the setup it started downloading a file and my battery dropped to 35% and was ask to charge it. My moto 360 started the charge at 35% and after an hour on the charge dropped to 1% shutoff and just start the process again. It charges to 10% or sometimes 29% then drains to 0, shutoff and reboot again. I called motorola but the rep was unable to help. What a bummer, been waiting a week and a half for this thing and then this. Might just return it and wait for Version 2.0. Anyone experience this issue?

Coleman Robertson

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
Same thing here but before you return it let me tell you how I got mine to work and maybe it can help you too so I got it and paired it to my phone and put it on the charger and noticed the battery was draining on the charger so I put the moto 360 in airplane mode and charged it up all the way then took it off the charger and updated it after the update no problem at all charging and I have had it for 3 days now

Posted via the Android Central App

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
In my experience, the motos come almost drained, and they do not behave well at all in this state. Trying to set one up out of the box is asking for trouble. I had problems as the above two users (not as bad as the OP) for the same reason. I strongly recommend avoiding the temptation to power on and pair your watch out of the box. Charge to 100% first, then start playing with it. At least they charge fast :)

joe767

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I will try the above and report back. It was on the charger all night and didn't charge, I can't even turn it on. Come on Moto......

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I will try the above and report back. It was on the charger all night and didn't charge, I can't even turn it on. Come on Moto......
I, and many other people, ran into the same thing. But it's easily fixed, so don't return it just yet.

To get it to charge, you'll need to reset the device (option available in Settings). If it doesn't reboot immediately after resetting, you'll need to put it on the charger for a while with it powered off. Just keep monitoring it to make sure it stays off. If it powers on, turn it back off and keep charging. Then try resetting the device again. When it resets successfully, it'll go to the language selection screen. Leave it on that screen and charge it for at least an hour with the display off. Afterward you should have enough juice to perform the update. Once you update, the watch will function normally.

joe767

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
i tried the above and seems to work. finally enjoying my moto 360. I wished I had come to the forum before waiting an hour on the phone with tech support who ended my conversation with treats of RMA.
Thanks guys...

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
i tried the above and seems to work. finally enjoying my moto 360. I wished I had come to the forum before waiting an hour on the phone with tech support who ended my conversation with treats of RMA.
Thanks guys...

Moto really should have thought this out, I wonder how many people returned the watch because this poor experience that can be easily avoided if Motorola actually tested this from the standpoint of a new buyer.

@T-Mobile GN3

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Moto really should have thought this out, I wonder how many people returned the watch because this poor experience that can be easily avoided if Motorola actually tested this from the standpoint of a new buyer.

@T-Mobile GN3

You're right...it was a very bad first impression. Luckily I found other people online who had the issue and I was able to get around it. Since then I've loved the product.

It would have been very easy for Motorola to avoid this issue. After the watch boots up for the first time it should prompt for the language like it currently does. But then it should check the current battery level. If it's less than 90, a message should appear that charging is required prior to proceeding with setup. But instead of doing that, after the language is selected it immediately tries to pair with the phone and download & install the update. And then it gets hosed since the update causes the watch to be unable to charge.

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I suppose they could have put on the packaging, etc., in very large letters: "WARNING: CHARGE FULLY BEFORE USE!", but, being as instructions that come with chargeable devices have been saying this for about forever, perhaps they assumed that'd be like putting "DO NOT DRINK! NOT FOR INTERNAL USE!" on a bottle of drain cleaner?

Oh... wait... they do that, don't they? Well, I guess then Motorola should have put the charging caution on there, after all.

(My new Moto G had no such instruction. I put it on the charger and got it to 100% before doing anything.)

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Most battery powered devices I've purchased in the last several years have come with a charge of at least 50%, so even with the default warning of "you should charge this for X hours before first use", it hasn't mattered because there's usually a sufficient charge in the new device. If the Moto 360's weren't hitting the shelves in a nearly depleted state, users would not experience this problem. Also, as someone else mentioned, if there was logic built into the system to not allow you to proceed with pairing until your watch was charged, they likewise could have avoided some customer pain.

sprinttouch666

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
The device should have come with a giant red sticker on the screen that says "Charge the battery above 80% before you do ANYTHING" because if you don't your going to have a bad time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21