Use cases for the Moto 360

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Let's discuss how we use this watch so that we can share ideas with each other to further increase our experiences with it.

1) obviously notifications. I really like the fact that I don't have to pull out my phone to check every notification. I look at them on my watch and I can dismiss the ones that aren't important or choose to take out my phone if it is a notification that needs immediate attention.

2) I play Ingress, so getting portal attack notifications or comm message notifications are really handy. I can then decide if I want to pull out my phone to recharge the portals or simply dismiss the notifications.

3) speech to text is awesome. When people text me, I can reply by voice which it sends through my hangouts. One thing I noticed is that when I say 'OK Google', I don't have to wait for the prompt to show up to issue my command. I simply say all at once, "OK Google send text to (name) mobile." The animation catches up, then waits for my message which then I say what my message is.

Especially handy when I'm driving since I can still read the watch while I have my hands on the steering wheel at the 10 & 2 positions to make sure it got what I said.

I get many different hangouts notifications from different recipients so it's nice that I can pick which message I want to on my watch, then respond to them by voice all from my watch.

4) navigation is really helpful. I can now start Google maps navigation and get turn by turn alerts on my watch while running Ingress on my phone so I can still collect XM while driving and not miss out on navigation instructions.

The notification vibrates on my watch and lights up with the instruction, and even though I'm in the Ingress app, I still get the voice prompts from my phone which tells me to "stay on the second lane from the right" which the watch doesn't show. It only shows me that I need to make a right turn at such and such street. Really handy.

5) I'm very forgetful so before i got the watch, I set reminders with time and dates on my phone. But now, I can simply say "OK Google set a reminder for tomorrow at 12:00 pm to wish mom a happy birthday" all from my watch.

6) I installed the Pebble Locker app which allows me to make my watch a trusted Bluetooth device so I can bypass my lock screen code. And when my phone gets too far away from me (if someone were to steal it), the Bluetooth connection gets disconnected and locks my phone automatically.

These are just a few of my use cases where it's been incredibly helpful to not constantly pull out my phone from my pocket.

What are yours?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Last edited:

Fredcrn

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
4) navigation is really helpful. I can now start Google maps navigation and get turn by turn alerts on my watch while running Ingress on my phone so I can still collect XM while driving and not miss out on navigation instructions.

When I tried this the voice commands were coming via my phone. How would I set it up to issue from my watch?

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

When I tried this the voice commands were coming via my phone. How would I set it up to issue from my watch?

Are you saying that your phone doesn't show the navigation prompts?

Raelx

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I have not liked it for use in the car but i have a mount for my phone right next to the wheel for using Waze. I feel very distracted looking at the watch white driving. But i do really like not fishing my phone out of the pocket a dozen times and hour to see why it's vibrating.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't play ingress, but otherwise I do most everything else on that list. Also, add Twitter notifications on my wrist for me :) .

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I kinda don't want my watch doing the directions if my phone is doing the navigating while in the car. Can I disable only the maps apps during those situations, but not others? Or maybe I just gotta mute all notifications while in the car? Probably safer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I kinda don't want my watch doing the directions if my phone is doing the navigating while in the car. Can I disable only the maps apps during those situations, but not others? Or maybe I just gotta mute all notifications while in the car? Probably safer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Adding Maps to your mute list is all I know to not get them on your watch.

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I have not liked it for use in the car but i have a mount for my phone right next to the wheel for using Waze. I feel very distracted looking at the watch white driving. But i do really like not fishing my phone out of the pocket a dozen times and hour to see why it's vibrating.

Strap the watch to the 12 o'clock on the steering wheel ;-)

Posted via Android Central App

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why you would need the Pebble Locker app? That functionality is already built in to the watch. At least it is on my original Moto X.
Let's discuss how we use this watch so that we can share ideas with each other to further increase our experiences with it.

1) obviously notifications. I really like the fact that I don't have to pull out my phone to check every notification. I look at them on my watch and I can dismiss the ones that aren't important or choose to take out my phone if it is a notification that needs immediate attention.

2) I play Ingress, so getting portal attack notifications or comm message notifications are really handy. I can then decide if I want to pull out my phone to recharge the portals or simply dismiss the notifications.

3) speech to text is awesome. When people text me, I can reply by voice which it sends through my hangouts. One thing I noticed is that when I say 'OK Google', I don't have to wait for the prompt to show up to issue my command. I simply say all at once, "OK Google send text to (name) mobile." The animation catches up, then waits for my message which then I say what my message is.

Especially handy when I'm driving since I can still read the watch while I have my hands on the steering wheel at the 10 & 2 positions to make sure it got what I said.

I get many different hangouts notifications from different recipients so it's nice that I can pick which message I want to on my watch, then respond to them by voice all from my watch.

The notification vibrates on my watch and lights up with the instruction, and even though I'm in the Ingress app, I still get the voice prompts from my phone which tells me to "stay on the second lane from the right" which the watch doesn't show. It only shows me that I need to make a right turn at such and such street. Really handy.

5) I'm very forgetful so before i got the watch, I set reminders with time and dates on my phone. But now, I can simply say "OK Google set a reminder for tomorrow at 12:00 pm to wish mom a happy birthday" all from my watch.

6) I installed the Pebble Locker app which allows me to make my watch a trusted Bluetooth device so I can bypass my lock screen code. And when my phone gets too far away from me (if someone were to steal it), the Bluetooth connection gets disconnected and locks my phone automatically.

These are just a few of my use cases where it's been incredibly helpful to not constantly pull out my phone from my pocket.

What are yours?

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I used mine during a bike race this last weekend to control music and to keep track of my Run Keeper progress.

How was that? How long was the race? I am Doing the same thing, but got a huge battery drain on Saturday. I was running 3 apps, though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac