Uh oh, battery life on 360 while tracking run...

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Moderator, I posted the original onto another forum by accident. Please delete the other one I put onto LG g watch r.
++++++++++++++++++++

Ok, the primary reason I got the Moto 360 was to track my running progress visually without having to take out my phone.

About me, I am a long distance runner. I run 5 times a week, distances from 4 miles a day up to my Saturday long runs, which today's was 16. I am going to increase it eventually to 22 miles, as I am training to run my second ultra marathon, the Rocky Run 50k, a 31 mile race based off of the actual route Rocky would have had to have taken if he did run through all those places in the running montage in Rocky II.

Anyways, I run a lot. And on my shorter runs, like 5 miles, I have about 60-70% left. 40, 45 minutes. That's a drain, but it didn't affect me. About 25-35% an hour. I should be ok for longer runs. Today, 16 miles, took 2.5 hours. It ran out of power right as I was finishing my run. I'm not really happy with that...

Granted, I was checking my watch more because I was testing its functionality. I also had 3 running apps open to see the differences. Runtastic, RunKeeper, and Strava.

Next time, I am going to only have 1 of those apps open. I also might turn brightness to low instead of auto...

I love my Moto 360. I have PLENTY of battery during normal usage. 30% or more left after 14-15 hours use.

I am not happy about seeing a dead watch, though. I didn't see any of the battery warnings, either. Sigh. I know it's first gen, and hopefully I can find a way to get this going for me.

I will keep you guys posted on my findings. Anyone else tracking runs?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

austinography

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I am not currently tracking runs, but I would like to start doing so soon, and this is definitely interesting information. My concern has been the leather watch band. Have you changed this out to something different? If not, how does it hold up to the sweating?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
If you run a lot and want to track it I can highly recommend a Pebble. I use one for running and it works well and batter life is, well, superb. They're on sale right now at Best Buy for $99. There's no harm in having two smart watches, each for a different purpose. After all, many people have multiple watches.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The new update, it seems, improves the battery life 'radically' (or that's what I've read from a few posts). I'm just curious to see if you got this admittedly bad battery life before or after the update.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
@green_laser, thanks for quoting my post!

@austinography, I use a silicone band that I got from Amazon. Works pretty great and looks good. I would like to buy a tpu Pebble band.

@tabguy that is an option, But I was hoping the 360 was my option. Cuz my wife uses a Garmin.

This run where my watch died was after the update. HOWEVER, this was 3 different apps running, too. I did a run this morning with only runkeeper. 40 minutes, 12% drop. So...about 10% every half hour? Give or take? That's 50% for a 2.5 run, so if the results stay consistent, I " should" be able to squeeze out a marathon and some change.

I also considered maybe muting notifications in between checking stats? That might help?

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
@green_laser, thanks for quoting my post!

I don't run as often or at lengths as you; though, from one runner to another, you're welcome, just trying to help out.

Also, as you wrote, less notifications pushed to watch *should* give you more batt, as the screen will not turn on as much.

Posted via Android Central App

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I just have to think seriously, at what point am I making too many consolations to get it to work the specific way I want it to? Know what I mean? Normal everyday use, this battery is great.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Without GPS, I'm surprised a long distance runner would use the Moto 360 as any sort of measure. Pedometer/accelerometer are generally not very accurate.

I kept my MotoActv to run with for this very reason.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Without GPS, I'm surprised a long distance runner would use the Moto 360 as any sort of measure. Pedometer/accelerometer are generally not very accurate.

I agree... in any case I'd use the phone that I still need to keep tethered to my watch to do that, and let it drain its GPS instead. Maybe the Gear S would be a better match for this purpose.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

I use my phone as the GPS unit. It's accurate enough, but Samsung isn't known for their radios.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Did another run yesterday. About 48 minutes, and it dropped 17% . This is kinda consistent with my Monday run, 40 min, about 12%. it seems to drop about 1% every 3 minutes... so if that's true, a 4 hour run, aka 240 minutes, would " only" drop about 70% ... That should be enough. If all the factors are right.

I am actually leaning more towards a Motorola phone instead of a Samsung phone more because of Moto's radios being better, including GPS radios? Hopefully a Lot more accurate than my galaxy s3.

joe911

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
im in the same situation then you, I really want the moto 360 but as a long distance runner as you im scared not to get the Garmin, so why did you choose the moto 360 over the Garmin ?
and what app did you end up with ?
I use Runtastic really love it .

adrian_parsons

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

I run long distances as well, 13 miles over 90 - 100 minutes and have not had problems with battery life while tracking. This is with a Nexus 5, and I'm running MapMyRun, RunKeeper and Nike+ Running. I also have a heart rate strap (Under Armour 39) that syncs with MapMyRun. Therefore, I am not stopping to check heart rate on the watch.

I do wish, that there was a sport-mode in Android Wear, however. A function that would mute non activity-related notifications, to the effect of:

-conserving battery life
-keeping your workout focused

How easy was it to swap out the band with a silicon one?

Hope this is some what helpful.

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Have you considered the new Sony smartwatch 3? Built in GPS and it's waterproof. Still have to see the battery reviews, but it may be an easier solution.

Teejai80

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I just wanted to add I still run with my pebble over any other watch. Much easier to read while moving and really lite. Tried the Toq for awhile, but it just didn't have the apps

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey, sorry I haven't been following my own that lately! Check it out. I have found that when you restart the watch, use the Digital watch face, and use RunKeeper, and mute notifications for everything except hangouts and RunKeeper, and phone, and pocketcasts, with automatic brightness, and I also disconnected syncing of moto connect (not quite sure what that does)...

I get at least a 1 percent drop every three minutes. That's pretty good for me. That means I can get through a marathon with that going on. I check my pace periodically by looking at it. I must admit that I don't constantly look at it every mile, once I get going, I am on auto pilot, and I do still have my headphones connected and listening to my pace as I go by. But, I can still respond to texts, change tracks, and look at my mileage as I run.

I did a 22 mile run this weekend and the I was around 30-40%, and that's good enough for me.

Now, this is an average, and I don't know if all of the conditions I listed above are 100% consistent. But, it's what I'm going to kind of rely on. On bad days, it drops 1℅ every two minutes.

Will keep you guys informed.

What about you guys? What percent drop you getting?