Google Wear zapping phone battery: SOLVED

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a problem with the watch battery life. But I certainly do on my phone. At work I don't use the phone (or watch) and the phone normally drains about 8% or something. Now that I have the 360 and Google Wear, my phone battery is more like 72% when I get home and almost all of that is shown as being used by "Google Wear".

This is a Nexus 5. The two are always within about 3 feet of each other. I have Google Now OFF. I have not installed any "apps" on the 360. I rebooted both this morning as a test, made no difference. Three days in a row of this now (since I got the 360).

I can't believe I didn't see any other thread about this yet!
UPDATE Nov 10, 2014: SOLVED. The problem is that Google has some really bad/stupid code in Wear 1.X that is going runaway if it can't get through port 53 (DNS) on your WiFi. Open port 53, reboot the phone, and the problem disappears. This is a MAJOR flaw that is sure to annoy a LOT of people.

Last edited:

Harlan H

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: Google Wear zapping phone battery

+1

I think it's just the bluetooth. If you hadn't previously been using the bluetooth radio much, that thing's a substantial drag on a battery. My 2013 Moto X which could easily go a full day of moderate use on less than half a battery, now is close to empty if I don't charge during the day and don't get home until late. On the other hand, it's easy for me to plug in my phone at work, so I just do that.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

I am not sure it is bluetooth- since I have always left bluetooth "on" (although not used while a work), and this is supposed to be "low energy bluetooth 4" it is using, and I thought that bluetooth would show as a separate battery item (which it isn't in my case).

More perplexing is there shouldn't be much of anything being DONE when the whole setup is idle. How often does it need to sync time? Once every dozen hours or so? I wasn't using any apps. I had zero notifications. About the only thing it would need to do is check that it is connected. I am really perplexed... based on my estimates, the phone is using many times the entire energy of the watch to just "service" the watch. Makes no sense.

anDAOroid

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site

This was actually my concern. The Nexus 5 has a small battery, and whenever I connect bluetooth devices to my Nexus 5, the battery drains substantially. I guess the only thing possible is to delete apps that drain battery and charge whenever possible.

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

I think different phones are experiencing different impact with Wear and/or the moto 360. Someone else posted a similar thread, but in his case, "bluetooth" was eating all his battery. My phone is a Galaxy S3, and it does not experience any discernible extra battery drain from Wear or the moto that I've observed. My battery statistics looks normal when I look at them with the major consumer usually being "Screen". This morning I do notice that "Android System" is the top offender at 37%, but Android wear is near the bottom at 4%.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

Yes, I have noticed a huge variety of reports about how it impacts phone battery life. Ironically, it seems like the Nexus 5 is mentioned the MOST when it comes to having Wear wipe out half their battery every day. It seems so very odd, since one would expect the Nexus to work the best with Wear.... but apparently not.

RussST24

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

Hi
I had a similar issue and android ware using 40% cpu.
Turns out it only happens at work connected to the wifi in the office. Anywhere else I do not see the issue.
I killed wifi and disconnected the watch and reconnected and it didn't come back.
Use a cpu monitor to check.
Still have no idea why it only happens at work.

Russ

RussST24

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site

To clarify it still happens at work of wifi is enabled and I connect to the office wifi.
If this happens I have to kill wifi and disconnect the watch to stop the ware app eating cpu. Then reconnect and it's fine all day as long as I stay off the wifi.

Russ

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Oddly enough, I can leave my bluetooth on my phone on, and the 360 in another room, and the battery will drain as normal (dont think its connected), but once I strap on the watch, and it gets within range of the 360, it goes pretty quickly.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

Here is a perfect example of what I mean. Today I demoed the watch to two people. I did almost nothing else the entire day. I had no notification at all. It doesn't matter what Wear apps are installed, the result is the same. I even factory reset the watch last night and reinstalled Wear on the phone (Nexus 5).

Almost 10 hours off the charger. I made no calls. I had no texts. I didn't even wake the phone AT ALL.20% of my phone battery disappeared and 65% of it was ANDROID WEAR! 55m and 15s of CPU usage on WEAR???!!!?!?!! Why???? What could possibly justify that much power?

(Oh, and the watch only used 25% of its charge during the same period)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-06-18-03-22.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-06-18-03-22.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Screenshot_2014-10-06-18-03-27.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-06-18-03-27.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 117

Cincybearcatfan

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

Droid Maxx, no noticeable difference. MAYBE 3-5% more usage depending on the day. Before my 360 I'd go home with 73%-75% of my battery left and go to bed with 60% left. Now I go home with 68-70% of my battery left and go to bed around 11 with 55% left. I could go 24+ hours without charging both if I turn off my 360 at bedtime and turn it back on when I get up in the morning.

Last edited:

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Last edited:

anoia

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

Just run into this thread while I'm doing some research on Google about the Moto 360 drain. At first I thought it was something wrong with Google Play Services (the battery usage of it is even more than screen and Android System). Then I uninstall Google Play Services manually and reinstall the newest version (6.1 or something on Oct 7, 2014). Then the power usage of Google Play Service is getting better. But my phone's CPU is still awake on the time (draining about 12% per hour on the 3000mAh batter!). Then I just tried to set my Moto 360 to Airplane mode and everything is back to normal... Right now I'm trying to uninstall the Apps on Moto 360 to see if any of those Apps might be the problem...I'm using a Xiaomi MI3 running on MIUI V5. Please let me know if you find a fix...

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

+1

I think it's just the bluetooth. If you hadn't previously been using the bluetooth radio much, that thing's a substantial drag on a battery. My 2013 Moto X which could easily go a full day of moderate use on less than half a battery, now is close to empty if I don't charge during the day and don't get home until late. On the other hand, it's easy for me to plug in my phone at work, so I just do that.

I don't agree with this. I've been using a Fitbit with the Nexus 5 and other phones for a long time and never had a battery issue. I am experiencing the exact same major battery drain with Android Wear.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

Google just opened up an official product support forum for Android Wear. I started a thread there on the phone battery life problems. Please contribute to that thread so that we can gain Google's attention on this issue.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!category-topic/android-wear/-1Crx26hm6k

I would, but it requires using Gmail and there is no other option for "signing in". If you would relay this thread URL to them, that would at least be something.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

I don't agree with this. I've been using a Fitbit with the Nexus 5 and other phones for a long time and never had a battery issue. I am experiencing the exact same major battery drain with Android Wear.

You are echoing what I said earlier (either here or on XDA, not sure which). I seriously doubt it is bluetooth, at least not the majority of it. In one business day of idle, Wear is consuming over an HOUR of CPU time... THAT is what is sucking the power. An hour of CPU time is an absolutely insane amount of processing power for servicing an idle device. Exactly what is "Wear" needing to do with an idle watch (no notifications, Google Now off, no apps, no searches)? Ping it every minute or so? Send it a time update once an hour? Even several minutes of CPU time should be excessive.

I challenge everyone to go through a typical day and then look at what is using the most battery on their phones, other than games or browsing or something obviously needing to be intense and look at how much CPU time that function has used and see what I mean.

Another reference: On my Linux desktop, I have had Pidgin up and running for 15 days now. I use it every day and it is polling servers and updating statuses all the time. Collectively it has now used 12 minutes of CPU time... which is less than 1 minute per day. My Email client does the same and has been up the same number of days... it has used 2 minutes and 21 seconds of CPU time.

heack

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

Moto360 if is not connected to my Sumsang, it lacks so many features. But once connected, my Sumsang really drops battery too quickly.

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

I would, but it requires using Gmail and there is no other option for "signing in". If you would relay this thread URL to them, that would at least be something.

It requires a Google account. How do you download Android Wear on your phone without having a Google account?

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site

It requires a Google account. How do you download Android Wear on your phone without having a Google account?

I just don't want to use my Google account or Gmail for forums and other things like that. I keep that account very "clean". Google has enough intrusion in my life already, plus I don't want to get Email through Gmail pushed to my devices, it is for "emergency" use only. It is a shame they don't allow a non-Google registration.