I wear my watch at work with ambient screen set to off and sometimes I get personal text messages or emails that I don't want co-workers seeing pop up on my watch when then are sitting next to me in a meeting (it's eye catching for sure).

Is there a way to still have the watch vibrate to tell me there is a message but only display the message when I turn my wrist to see the watch (like how the watch normally turns the screen on) so I can better control when my messages are displayed?
    12-09-2014 07:01 PM
    I wear my watch at work with ambient screen set to off and sometimes I get personal text messages or emails that I don't want co-workers seeing pop up on my watch when then are sitting next to me in a meeting (it's eye catching for sure).

Is there a way to still have the watch vibrate to tell me there is a message but only display the message when I turn my wrist to see the watch (like how the watch normally turns the screen on) so I can better control when my messages are displayed?
    Yes, that is exactly what the new theater mode will bring. But it will also suppress the motion time display too. Would be nice if they had an option to do both- theater mode and privacy mode.
    12-11-2014 06:07 PM
    Yeah it doesn't sound like theater mode will help then. I'd like to still see my watch and alerts when I lift my wrist to view it.

It's not about the content of the message so much as the weird feeling I get when someone else makes a comment about it to me. I'm not getting inappropriate messages that I don't want people seeing or anything but rather it's creating socially awkward situations for me. For instance, I was at my dentist yesterday getting a checkup and my arms were resting on my body when I received an SMS which lit up my phone. My dentist made some comment about the fact that someone was apparently trying to reach me. They then asked all the typical questions you get when someone sees that the watch is a wearable.

It wasn't them being nosy, like I said the screen is noticeable when it lights up, it was hard to not notice, but it feels really awkward when a co-worker or semi-familiar person comments on a personal note I just received.

The privacy mode concept seems exactly like what would work. Allow the ability to receive alerts but keep the screen dark. I wish that were coming as well.
    12-11-2014 06:22 PM
    I got the update to 5.0 on my watch. In theater mode, the screen will not come on if you get a notification. But, all you have to do is push the button on the side of the watch and the screen comes on. You can interact with it normally at that point. I think it's a really good solution.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10
    12-11-2014 07:23 PM
    I got the update to 5.0 on my watch. In theater mode, the screen will not come on if you get a notification. But, all you have to do is push the button on the side of the watch and the screen comes on. You can interact with it normally at that point. I think it's a really good solution.
    Except, like we were both saying, you can no longer use it as a one-handed watch anymore, since it will no longer show the time when you lift your hand. Nice feature, but even more options would be great.
    12-11-2014 10:39 PM