Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

I got my first 360 late September, then late November got a crack, never changed the band. I called and they advanced replaced it with a leather band again. Got that replacement on 4 DEC, then just looked today and had 2 cracks, so made it 4 weeks. I had the Pebble Steel band on for about 2 days, didn't like the way it wore, so took it back and have had the original leather band on from my first watch (since it was perfectly worn in) since. I called and they are upgrading me to the metal band. So, I am wondering if anyone that has the official metal band has had any problems with the back cracking? Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
    12-30-2014 01:33 PM
    Hopefully you don't have that same issue. I'm curious to see what other people are experiencing as well.
    12-30-2014 01:42 PM
    Just ordered my metal band from Moto yesterday. It's making its way out of Hong Kong according to the tracking info. I got my black 360 on launch day. Hope I don't have any issues with it cracking.
    12-30-2014 08:56 PM
    I got my first 360 late September, then late November got a crack, never changed the band. I called and they advanced replaced it with a leather band again. Got that replacement on 4 DEC, then just looked today and had 2 cracks, so made it 4 weeks. I had the Pebble Steel band on for about 2 days, didn't like the way it wore, so took it back and have had the original leather band on from my first watch (since it was perfectly worn in) since. I called and they are upgrading me to the metal band. So, I am wondering if anyone that has the official metal band has had any problems with the back cracking? Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
    Do you wear the watch really tight? It seems that most of the cracking cases I've seen on this board have come from people who either are using a non-moto strap or who wear their watches extremely tightly. One guy showed a picture of him wearing the watch and you could literally see how the watch was indenting his skin because it was so tight.

I understand that with an official moto band you should be able to wear it however you like without cracking, but it stands to reason that the cracking is coming from the stress of the band pulling on the watch.

I just had my official moto metal band installed yesterday and love it. Since I haven't had it very long I can't say with any real confidence whether or not it will crack the watch, but I would be very surprised if it does. I wear it just tight enough so that it won't spin around my wrist, so it definitely has a little bit of give and movement, but I can still turn my wrist normally and see the watch and the screen turns on like normal.

Posted via the Android Central App
    dungoyle likes this.
    12-31-2014 08:31 AM
    Do you wear the watch really tight? It seems that most of the cracking cases I've seen on this board have come from people who either are using a non-moto strap or who wear their watches extremely tightly. One guy showed a picture of him wearing the watch and you could literally see how the watch was indenting his skin because it was so tight.
    Negative, it can slip up on down my arm fairly easily. It never leaves a mark on my arm unless it gets forced up my arm by a coat or something like it, but that's not comfortable, so I typically move it down fairly quickly if that happens. My first watch went 2 months without a crack. The only time I could think that it may have gotten it's crack was when I was wrestling with my nephew at Thanksgiving and felt some pressure sideways on the watch, but that was very brief. The latest watch, none of these types of incidents come to mind.

Let us know how it goes with the metal band. Hopefully some others will chime in, since I know there are some that have had the metal for a while now.

Cheers!
    12-31-2014 04:52 PM
    I've had official band for about a month and no issues - knock on wood

12-31-2014 05:04 PM
    It's very hit or miss. I've had mine since launch week, and installed a pebble steel band on it within the first week of ownership. No cracks, and I wear it every day. I tried to track the issue with a poll, because there were initially quite a few folks stating that the pebble steel was the culprit, but once the poll was up, there weren't that many folks responding with pebble steel cracked their watches, and there were even reports of cracked watches with factory leather bands. I think it's a random material defect in the manufacture of the watch back.
    12-31-2014 05:59 PM
    It's very hit or miss. I've had mine since launch week, and installed a pebble steel band on it within the first week of ownership. No cracks, and I wear it every day. I tried to track the issue with a poll, because there were initially quite a few folks stating that the pebble steel was the culprit, but once the poll was up, there weren't that many folks responding with pebble steel cracked their watches, and there were even reports of cracked watches with factory leather bands. I think it's a random material defect in the manufacture of the watch back.
    I'd say its less of a material defect and a more of a true design flaw.
    12-31-2014 09:22 PM
    I'd say its less of a material defect and a more of a true design flaw.
    Equally plausible. Overall product defect in the long run, so hair splitting territory, IMO.
    01-01-2015 05:31 AM
    I purchased my Moto 360 with the stock metal band on 11/18, shortly after they started selling them and haven't had any problem with cracking. The official Moto metal bands come with plastic spacers where the band connects to the watch and I believe I've read somewhere that these were developed to eliminate potential issues with the metal band and cracked backs. I've also more recently purchased the Moto cognac leather band and a watch band spring bar tool on Amazon and have changed the bands back and forth between the metal and leather without any issues.
    01-01-2015 09:38 AM
    The black spacer has cracked on mine, I will try and get a photo.

01-01-2015 02:37 PM
    This photo you can see the black plastic above the link.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone with official Moto metal band have cracked back?-2607.jpg  
    01-01-2015 02:42 PM
    This side of the watch it has snapped off.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone with official Moto metal band have cracked back?-2602.jpg  
    01-01-2015 02:43 PM
    I called and they are upgrading me to the metal band.
    Was contacting Motorola customer service for a replacement easy? I have tried yet, but my back is cracked on both ends where the band meets. Seems to be getting worse.

Best Buy wouldn't take it back as it's long past their return period, so I plan on calling Motorola this week. Do you have to ship your defective watch back before they send you a replacement? Just curious. Thanks!

01-04-2015 04:41 PM
    Was contacting Motorola customer service for a replacement easy? I have tried yet, but my back is cracked on both ends where the band meets. Seems to be getting worse.

Best Buy wouldn't take it back as it's long past their return period, so I plan on calling Motorola this week. Do you have to ship your defective watch back before they send you a replacement? Just curious. Thanks!

I don't have the metal band, but the stock leather and I have a half circle crack from one pin where the band connects to the other. I spoke to Moto today, and they requested a picture, which I sent. They called me back and are shipping me out a new watch tomorrow.

As far as sending back, there are two options. Put a $200 hold on a credit card and they will ship before getting the defective unit back. Or don't go the credit card route and they require receiving the defective unit back before sending out the replacement.
    01-04-2015 06:43 PM

Super easy. I have had to do this twice and as purpleclad said, there are options. I had to send a pic for the first one, but this time they didn't ask for one. I think they are really busy, b/c it to a while for someone to answer. I have done the advanced replacement for both now. I don't think I noticed a hold on my credit card, ever. I just checked my credit card, and don't see a hold, and I will have my new watch when I get home. Don't take that as a guarantee though... :-)
    01-05-2015 12:16 PM
    I have the official Moto metal band with a cracked bottom. Popped up out of nowhere about a month after I got it

01-10-2015 07:33 PM
    The black spacer has cracked on mine, I will try and get a photo.

I've had both my watch and metal band for just under two weeks and my band did the same. Only on one side too. The inside facing side for those curious.
    01-21-2015 11:45 AM
    I've had both my watch and metal band for just under two weeks and my band did the same. Only on one side too. The inside facing side for those curious.
    Swapped my leather for the Moto steel one 3 weeks ago. No cracks.

Are you guys wearing them too tight maybe?
    01-21-2015 12:49 PM