Coming from Galaxy Gear S

tech_fan

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I was one of the early adopters to the Moto 360 watch and sold it to buy a Galaxy Gear S. I suppose a lot has changed from the early adoption in September. How much was improved? Those that came from the Galaxy Gear S, are you happier with the switch? Are there better assortment of watch faces now with the new version of Android Wear?

I am finding that I use my Gear S more for informational purposes rather than apps along with what I did with my Moto 360. So the ability to type and text on the watch doesn't really make a difference to me

dungoyle

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I was one of the early adopters to the Moto 360 watch and sold it to buy a Galaxy Gear S. I suppose a lot has changed from the early adoption in September. How much was improved? Those that came from the Galaxy Gear S, are you happier with the switch? Are there better assortment of watch faces now with the new version of Android Wear?

I am finding that I use my Gear S more for informational purposes rather than apps along with what I did with my Moto 360. So the ability to type and text on the watch doesn't really make a difference to me
Wear changes have been evolutionary, so there have been improvements, but nothing ground breaking IMO. Watch faces? Holy crap, there are more watch faces than you can imagine. If you have Facer or Watchmaker installed, the number of free watch faces will keep you entertained forever.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
There have been quite a few updates since the early adopter version. I was in the rush and purchased my Moto 360 on launch day as well. The battery life issues have been pretty well addressed, a lot of bugs have been squashed, some features like storing music directly on the watch and being able to pair a Bluetooth headset directly to the watch have been added. The watch faces have been opened up and third party apps like watchmaker and facer will provide you with the issue of having too many watch faces to choose from now. :) Also, many more watch apps have been created and some larger existing apps have implemented Android Wear support.

Overall, there are quite a few changes... As mentioned above tho, mostly evolutionary not revolutionary.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Gear S first and still have it on my Verizon plan. Then I bought the Moto 360 because I was SO disappointed in the watch faces for the Gear S....they are just terrible looking. On the 360 one day I wear it as a Breitling Emergency, the next day it's an Omega Speedmaster...whatever I want and largely for free. In terms of functionality there are things I like better about when I use the Gear S around the house like how it keeps my Note 4 unlocked when they are connected (although this has been flaky lately).