Just this afternoon I had some coworkers notice my watch and ask what it was about ("Is that the Apple Watch?"). I went through some basic demo stuff and I think it failed about 80% of the tests. Questions like "What's the forecast?" and "what is my heart rate?" went directly to Google search, as did commands like "Show me pictures of my cat," and "navigate to McDonalds." It did answer the old standby about Barack Obama's height.

Ten minutes later in my truck, everything seemed to be back to normal.

I love the Android Wear platform and Moto 360 and usually have far greater success when using it in real world situations, but demos like these wouldn't sell many units!

TJH

Posted via Android Central App
    04-01-2015 04:42 PM
    Just this afternoon I had some coworkers notice my watch and ask what it was about ("Is that the Apple Watch?"). I went through some basic demo stuff and I think it failed about 80% of the tests. Questions like "What's the forecast?" and "what is my heart rate?" went directly to Google search, as did commands like "Show me pictures of my cat," and "navigate to McDonalds." It did answer the old standby about Barack Obama's height.

Ten minutes later in my truck, everything seemed to be back to normal.

I love the Android Wear platform and Moto 360 and usually have far greater success when using it in real world situations, but demos like these wouldn't sell many units!

TJH

Was there an Apple device near you? Could have been sabotage! But really,did you have a poor signal on your phone?
    04-01-2015 06:38 PM
    I have quit showing off my devices. It never fails, or (rather, it always fails!), when you're showing off things stop working!
    04-02-2015 04:34 AM
    This town has pretty good Verizon LTE, so it shouldn't have been an issue. Just the day before a Moto app updated on my phone and I immediately thought it was to blame!

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-02-2015 06:49 AM
    i stopped showing it off also. if someone ask i just go to moto 360 connect app and show them a demo card. maybe someday it will work normal
    04-02-2015 11:50 AM
    I have to admit the same thing has happened to me a few times too. Works fine 99% of the time, but without fail it will act up when "showing it off". I can't explain it!

And if one more person asks if it is an Apple watch I am going to kill them. I usually reply "Um, no, this is the Moto 360 which has been out for many months, does more, looks better, works with more devices, and costs half as much".
    ezzzzz likes this.
    04-03-2015 05:25 PM
    Don't blame the moto 360, this happens almost every time with any device in the electronic world for some odd reason..

BTW It did happen with my 360 too 😑 lol

04-04-2015 11:57 AM
    I show mine off all the time without issue.

User Error?

M8/360
    04-04-2015 09:53 PM
    I show mine off all the time without issue.

User Error?
    I am an I.T. Director with 30 years of computer and electronics experience. Anyone can make mistakes. But I think I know how to operate a watch I have used daily for several months...
    ezzzzz likes this.
    04-05-2015 07:32 AM
    I am an I.T. Director with 30 years of computer and electronics experience. Anyone can make mistakes. But I think I know how to operate a watch I have used daily for several months...
    Well we're clearly not all the same. I've had mine for 4mos and love it. I set alarms daily, lookup zip codes, and check schedules daily.

If you wanna have an ******* contest I was Microsoft Certified in 2004, build my own computers, worked at BestBuy, and also was most recently employed by Verizon Wireless for 2.5yrs. So I don't have the most experience however I have the proper experience in this particular field.

Tilt to wake, OK Google, once the Mic is red let it know what you want.

I always laugh at Apple iPhone users who press the home button, then their first word is Siri, and it doesn't understand what they said.

M8/360
    04-05-2015 07:59 PM
    Well we're clearly not all the same. I've had mine for 4mos and love it. I set alarms daily, lookup zip codes, and check schedules daily.

If you wanna have an ******* contest...
    I don't think Crxssi was trying to start a pissing contest, if you look at his previous posts, he has more than proved his extensive knowledge in this area many, many times. I simply think his statement was meant to illustrate that these devices can and do have intermittent issues... Sometimes at inopportune moments.

I'll save you the resume, but I'm another old fuddy-duddy with 30 some odd years of experience in I.T. I enjoy tinkering and have admittedly a bit of an obsession with smartwatches (owning more than 20 "wearables" so far), three of which are Android Wear. I, too, have experienced these odd, intermittent issues on most all of my wearables (not just the Android Wear ones).

I still "show off" mine, but typically I'll just keep it simple and swipe some cards up and down to show some notifications. If I'm feeling lucky, maybe I'll throw a "show me my steps" in there.
    ezzzzz, dungoyle and crxssi like this.
    04-08-2015 12:55 AM
    No offense but the last place I would throw around "worked at Best Buy" as qualification is a tech forum.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-08-2015 07:26 AM
    Wow, I better not admit that every time I show off my watch it doesn't perform perfectly; else, I'll lose the "asterisk" contest that appears to be ongoing. It's Murphy's law at play, and happens to everyone -- except for our resident Best Buy all star apparently.
    04-08-2015 05:07 PM
    I don't think Crxssi was trying to start a pissing contest[...] I simply think his statement was meant to illustrate that these devices can and do have intermittent issues... Sometimes at inopportune moments.
    Exactly. Certainly the 360 has some issues at other times too, but they seem particularly prevalent and embarrassing when it chooses that moment when you are showing off how neat it is and it decides to pick that moment to disconnect from the phone or not respond to input. So I absolutely can relate to the original poster's issues.

With each software update, Android Wear has been getting better. I hope the trend continues.
    Penguwin likes this.
    04-08-2015 06:39 PM
    It just seemed to escalate quickly. I apologize if anyones posteriors were hurt. I'm sorry if I came off rude, if you lookup the "OK Google" commands you will have the proper strategy to work your watch and phone flawlessly and hands free!

When I first got the watch I would leave my screen on and it would OK Google both places lol. I usually use the following phrases in show off mode:

"Is it going to rain today."
    "how old is Chuck Norris"
    "Navigate to..."

I wasn't your typical Best Buy employee.
    We all obviously have a common love for tech. This is my 3rd wearable. How does one have owned over 20 wearables?

I had a gear 1 and 2 free from Samsung and I actually bit the bullet on the Moto360.

M8/360
    04-09-2015 12:08 AM
    We all obviously have a common love for tech. This is my 3rd wearable. How does one have owned over 20 wearables?
    I can agree that we here on this site have a great common love of tech. For that very reason, I usually keep my old tech around as a historical keepsake, to try new firmware/software on it as it becomes available, or just because I like it. I rarely post pictures of my collection as I don't want it to appear boastful. However, since you asked... Below is how one owns over 20 wearables, the Nokia Lumia phone at the top has a message for you (just so you know I didn't just pull some picture off the 'net somewhere) .

I love the AC forums as well, but I am more frequently active on sister site Connectedly and invite any to visit over there as well if you have any questions, comments or just enjoy discussing all things connected!
    ezzzzz, crxssi and mugenlude19 like this.
    04-09-2015 02:16 AM
    Below is how one owns over 20 wearables
    OK, I thought I was a hopeless tech junkie... you are much, much more so But I am glad I don't have your credit card bill
    Penguwin likes this.
    04-09-2015 04:38 PM
    OK, I thought I was a hopeless tech junkie... you are much, much more so But I am glad I don't have your credit card bill
    Haha... My wife would definitely agree with you on the "hopeless" part. Thankfully I have been very fortunate on avoiding credit cards in general, however I will agree with you that tech toys are usually not cheap.
    04-09-2015 11:41 PM
    DAT NEPTUNE PINE! lol, so big
    04-13-2015 12:25 AM
    By the way, do you have a favorite Penguwin? It would be interesting to know the preference of someone who has tried them all.
    04-13-2015 12:27 AM
    DAT NEPTUNE PINE! lol, so big
    LOL... Yea, its big & has its shortcomings, but it actually works pretty well as a minimalist / "traveling light" cell phone. I usually detach it from it's watch band and carry it in my pocket tho .
    By the way, do you have a favorite Penguwin? It would be interesting to know the preference of someone who has tried them all.
    I may have quite a few, but definitely haven't tried them all! Hehe.

I wouldn't say there is a "best" smartwatch for everyone at the moment. As "best" is kind of subjective... Best at what? What if your needs or use case differs from mine? There are a lot of debates started with the word "best" Hehe .

To me, Pebble and Android Wear are the "standouts" in the crowd and are worth taking a closer look at.

Pebble is cross-platform and can work on most modern smartphones (in one capacity or another). It has a great 4-5 day battery life (for most users) and the original at least can withstand a beating and keep working.

Android Wear allows for notifications, weather, and apps just like the pebble, but adds in some extra functionality. Replying to a text or email with a custom (not pre-made) message, setting appointments / reminders are all done easily from your wrist. Oh and random questions find answers just by asking your watch... What time is it in Australia? Who is Ben Affleck's brother? Or whatever random google query you have is typically answered right on your wrist.

I rotate which smartwatch I wear based on what my day's activities are... Typically it's something like this:

Manual labor / physical activity - Pebble

Going to work / office - Asus ZenWatch

Out for the day / traveling "light" - Neptune Pine (and leave my large Nexus 6 at home or in the car as a backup).
    04-13-2015 07:47 AM
    Wow, I better not admit that every time I show off my watch it doesn't perform perfectly; else, I'll lose the "asterisk" contest that appears to be ongoing. It's Murphy's law at play, and happens to everyone -- except for our resident Best Buy all star apparently.
    You are so right Dun...

When it's time to show off Murphy's law gets into play

I'm gonna buy a Moto 360 next month, I really just can't wait for next gen!
    04-17-2015 09:07 AM
    You are so right Dun...

When it's time to show off Murphy's law gets into play

I'm gonna buy a Moto 360 next month, I really just can't wait for next gen!
    Congratulations on your upcoming purchase. Assuming you get it for the current low prices we've been seeing (or less), you won't regret your investment. In another thread someone asked "buy now or wait for next iteration?", and I answered "wait"; however, it's hard not to encourage a purchase at close to impulse buy prices that we are just now seeing.
    04-17-2015 09:20 AM
    Congratulations on your upcoming purchase. Assuming you get it for the current low prices we've been seeing (or less), you won't regret your investment. In another thread someone asked "buy now or wait for next iteration?", and I answered "wait"; however, it's hard not to encourage a purchase at close to impulse buy prices that we are just now seeing.
    Pretty much, what's going on with me
    04-17-2015 09:41 AM