With the price drop of the Moto 360 to $179 is it worth buying it as a fitness tracker?

Ozman44

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Most better quality fitness trackers are at least $150 and some are over $200.00.

With the Moto 360 I get a more than just a fitness tracker. But with the suspect battery am I better off buying something else?

Or because of the battery of the 360 I should buy the LG G watch R? Again my main use will be for the fitness tracking.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
Most better quality fitness trackers are at least $150 and some are over $200.00.

With the Moto 360 I get a more than just a fitness tracker. But with the suspect battery am I better off buying something else?

Or because of the battery of the 360 I should buy the LG G watch R? Again my main use will be for the fitness tracking.

i like the LG G Watch R much better than the 360 and i think it's worth the extra few bucks. i really dislike the 360's flat tire display and the no-lug design.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I love my Moto 360 and at $179, it's great bang for the buck. It's a great watch and as Android Wear continues to improve, it's getting better all the time. I think the suspect battery life is a thing of the past. All that matters to me is that I can get a full day of battery life without hitting empty and on most days, I have 50% give or take 10% left by the end of a 17 hour day. That I believe is pretty competitive with any Android Wear device. However, if your main use will be fitness tracking, I think you'd be better served getting a fitness tracker. Fitness tracking to me is not a strength of Android Wear devices.

johnj2803

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
im in the same boat...

then only advantage of the 360 with other fitness tracker i think is the replaceable band which makes it look like a more formal watch when you have to be more formal or casual. for fitness bands, the 360 recently released TYLT bands which makes it more sport like

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site

I killed my Jawbone UP24 so I've been relying on my 360 for communicating with the UP app for steps. It's ok. I'm using the Moto step app not G Fit to track my steps. The watch communicates directly with the UP app so I had a seemless transfer there. The UP app communicates with My Fitness Pal which I use for calorie counting.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Moto 360 looks great, is light in weight and runs well with Android Wear. With that said, as a fitness tracker it is not ideal or very good. As most say and i ignored, if you want a fitness tracker...get a proper fitness tracker. If you just want a cool looking device that acts as a partner to your smart phone than the 360 does a good job.

sfringer

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

I would not choose any of the current Android Wear devices to be utilized primarily as a fitness tracker. I have both a Moto 360 and a Basis Peak - from a fitness perspective, the Peak is hands-down above the Moto 360. The Peak provides constant heart-rate monitoring (with better accuracy in my limited testing) as well as more accurate step count and better battery life. The Peak also provides limited notifications from a connected Android/iOS device. The downside to the Peak is that the collected data is walled into the Basis ecosystem.

So, in summary, for primary fitness tracking look to a fitness device, not an Android Wear device.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
cool band. it fakes the lugs?

i still don't like the flat tire. or the choo choo train.

The lugs that you're referring to is a 3rd party adapter called the SteelConnect M180. SteelConnect M & M Hook Adapters for Moto360

Is that a Moto 360 watch face? The one with the Train?

The watch face is called Minimal & Elegant by Studio eXtreme. https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.stmp.minimalface&token=6yu2N_0a The Train design is a feature within the watch face design called Little Worlds and there are hundreds of designs already and more and more each day. Here's a link to the Google+ Little Worlds Community: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/111781224708030922799

Is that the Brushed Stainless Steel, Steel Connect? If so, are you happy with it? Does it match the pretty well?

Yes, it's the brushed stainless steel M180 SteelConnect adapter. I think they're backordered now and it takes a long time for delivery but I'm very happy with them. Matches the stainless steel watch perfectly.

Can you post links to the place you got your band extender things at..
oh also i dont see trains in my little world choices. Did you make that?

Link posted above. I didn't make the train, pretty sure this was on the Little Worlds G+ page but it was posted quite some time ago. If you go to the G+ page for the Little Worlds Community, there's a link on the right hand side of the page to Featured Worlds - Google Drive and there's a different train design in the "Others" folder.

Didn't intend to hijack this thread. Getting back to the topic, it sounds like most agree that if the primary need is a fitness tracker, you're better off purchasing a fitness tracker over an Android Wear device such as the Moto 360.

sfringer

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
So do you use your Moto 360 as your primary watch? I see that the peak also serves as a watch.

For the first week I wore either for at least a full day by itself. As I've found the information surfaced through my 360 more relevant the 360 has become my primary watch with the Peak being reserved just for when I'm running. The Peak is certainly a functional watch and fitness tracker, and had the 360 not dropped in price I'd still use the Peak; though it does not provide the "open" notification system Android Wear provides you are limited to the fixed notification sources that the Basis team has selected (emails, texts, calls, calendar and Basis habits).

Downwind

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I killed my Jawbone UP24 so I've been relying on my 360 for communicating with the UP app for steps. It's ok. I'm using the Moto step app not G Fit to track my steps. The watch communicates directly with the UP app so I had a seemless transfer there. The UP app communicates with My Fitness Pal which I use for calorie counting.

I do exactly the same thing. Seems to work okay. Watch lasts all day as long as I don't use ambient mode.

Ozman44

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Well I went and picked up my Moto 360. I'm still learning the basics but I think I made the right decision. I used it this past weekend as my step tracker and I'm getting pretty good battery life out of it. As long as I stop changing my watch faces! :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz