Garbage Watch and Software

jeffmurph004

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
It's 2015 and crappy user experiences persist on a daily basis and it blows my mind. I bought a 360 (original) yesterday for my Samsung s6. Right off the bat the errors start displaying, play services have stopped, process.whatever has stopped. You gotta be kidding me! Then I see all these workarounds on the internet. Workarounds?? Just get the product right! Why am I trying to fix something that should be 100% by now? So returning it I am, and abandoning this whole wearable trend, because seriously, don't market technology that is this unstable. If I had spent 400 on the new 360 and this happened, I would have driven my car through the front of Target.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeSaint

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
When you spend 400$ on a niche product that is in a tech market bracket still in his early years, you got to expect to have some tweaking to do. It's not like buying a toaster oven. Do you think that buying a personal computer in the early 80's was that Plug'n'play? And it was way over a couple thousands dollars, in 80's dollars. Now you can buy a reliable laptop for under 300$.
Same things with smartwatch today, expensive, and not that reliable. If we had to wait for them to get the product right, we wouldn't be able to get those watch for another 2-3 years, and they wouldn't be able to test the market either and figure out what consumers really expect from those watches.
That being said, I got mine a bit more than two months ago and didn't have any problems with it except for the poor battery life in the first couple of weeks.
I love my watch and I think I will ever go back now that I'm used to wear a smartwatch.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Glad i dont have his problems.
I paid 150 for mine and its met my limited expectations for a technology in its 1st generation.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
It's 2015 and crappy user experiences persist on a daily basis and it blows my mind. I bought a 360 (original) yesterday for my Samsung s6. Right off the bat the errors start displaying, play services have stopped, process.whatever has stopped. You gotta be kidding me! Then I see all these workarounds on the internet. Workarounds?? Just get the product right! Why am I trying to fix something that should be 100% by now? So returning it I am, and abandoning this whole wearable trend, because seriously, don't market technology that is this unstable. If I had spent 400 on the new 360 and this happened, I would have driven my car through the front of Target.

Maybe it's you? Remember to put your pants on before leaving the house though!

jeffmurph004

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
You guys have been super helpful. I'm not a newbie to technology, and maybe your right, getting a com. google.process.gapps error and "play services has stopped working' error could definitely be my fault for not pressing the button right to power on the watch during initial setup, or maybe I did not download the wear app correctly. (This may all be sarcasm). I get the technology being in its infancy, but if you don't have a proper system of checks and balances then you don't release software to the masses, that's why beta exist. I really want to love the technology, I'm just saying maybe it is not there 100%, and even at $150 you should be getting better quality.

zero157h7

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Nah. Ignore that guy. I'm having problems too and I've had the watch longer than you and had one for a few weeks a few months ago. You didn't cause it and NO we should not give Google a pass just because this is a new product segment. It's one thing to say well, battery life sucks but it's a new product. It is something totally different to say I can't use my watch at all because of a software update. There is no scenario where it is okay to brick a device that a consumer paid for. I had an Apple Watch for a couple of months. It never bricked itself.

I'm seriously trying to decide what this problem means for me. Am I done with Android Wear?

Lefank

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok I have the fix for this problem. I bought one last week as well. Here is the fix...go and download the apk from back in APRIL for the android wear app. You'll have to do this on the web using your phone. Once that is installed it will allow you to download the latest update on your watch and use it properly. The new android wear app is broken for some devices...Hope this helps.

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I have been using a Moto 360 pretty much every day since they came out last year and while it was not perfect it out of the gate it was very usable and updates along the way have only made it constantly better. I have never seen the kinds of errors or system issues that you guys are having but I can only assume that for some reason your phones are just not playing nicely with the 360s. Are you running any kind of custom ROM on your phones? Or do you possibly have some app installed ostensibly to help with battery life that keeps killing the background process that the watch needs to work?

I genuinely don't know, but your experiences with the 360 seem to be in the vast minority so most likely there is something else going on to cause these issues. Motorola and Google can't take into account every possible permutation of installed apps and versions of system software installed on every android device sold to determine what is going to cause a problem. All I know is if these issues were widespread there would be thousands of angry people beating down the forums and the 360s definitely wouldn't continue to be selling as well as they do. So I can only speak from my experience, with my watch, connected to my phone, but for me it has always just worked.

Anyway it sucks that you are having these issues with an Android Wear device, I hope you do eventually find something that will work for you though. Maybe take a look at the new Samsung watch, or the new Pebble Time Round?

cvaughan02

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I had an Apple Watch for a couple of months. It never bricked itself.

I think you really have to take into consideration that apple basically has 1 phone and 1 watch. If I find an appropriate "set" using android and then say you have to use these two items if you want android wear, that probably wouldn't go over well with you. But you accept it from apple. Because the google ecosystem is one with choices. That being the case, google is never going to have as "stable" a product as apple. since they have to support like 500+ devices while apple only has to support 2-5.

That being said, I've had no issues with my 360 causing issues on my phone. and a few others have said the same, so the there are comparable "sets" apparently. And I'll take having choices and running into some issues along the way over giving up choice and being held to a 2-5 device ecosystem just for more "stability". Less variables will always equal more stability.

zero157h7

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
It may not be a huge issue with thousands experiencing it but I checked the play store reviews and there are a lot of people with the same issue. I'm not running a custom rom and I don't use programs that kill processes. As far as experiences with the device this is the first real problem I've had but any problem that renders a device dysfunctional is pretty egregious. I've used a couple of Pebbles and while they have their good points, they still look too much like toys for me. I am considering a Gear S or waiting on the Gear 2 Classic and checking those out (I've used other Gears before.)

zero157h7

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I think you really have to take into consideration that apple basically has 1 phone and 1 watch. If I find an appropriate "set" using android and then say you have to use these two items if you want android wear, that probably wouldn't go over well with you. But you accept it from apple. Because the google ecosystem is one with choices. That being the case, google is never going to have as "stable" a product as apple. since they have to support like 500+ devices while apple only has to support 2-5.

That being said, I've had no issues with my 360 causing issues on my phone. and a few others have said the same, so the there are comparable "sets" apparently. And I'll take having choices and running into some issues along the way over giving up choice and being held to a 2-5 device ecosystem just for more "stability". Less variables will always equal more stability.

This is a crap argument and I'm not some rando moron who does not understand technology. Sure less variables will give better stability but that does not make it okay to brick a device. It's okay to like a product and not defend it's shortcomings.

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I was having trouble with mine too man, but I wasn't going to just give up because it's being annoying. I built a $1,500 gaming PC a couple years back and my sound card gave me problems for a week before I finally figured out how to fix it. Now guess what?! It's worked flawlessly since!

I just got my watch to finally update successfully and there is an easy work around in this Moto 360 sub forum. Just download an older APK and that will do the trick man. Don't let the early problems ruin your entire experience.

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Ok I have the fix for this problem. I bought one last week as well. Here is the fix...go and download the apk from back in APRIL for the android wear app. You'll have to do this on the web using your phone. Once that is installed it will allow you to download the latest update on your watch and use it properly. The new android wear app is broken for some devices...Hope this helps.

Just got my 360 (replacing my broken, out of warranty one) and have this issue. You happen to have a link to that apk?

Edit: Nevermind. Found it. Worked 100%

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Go to APKMirror.com and search for Android Wear, get a 1.1, if the first doesn't work don't give up. This finally fixed my issue and believe me, I tried EVERYTHING I could find online man. Good luck and post back.

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Go to APKMirror.com and search for Android Wear, get a 1.1, if the first doesn't work don't give up. This finally fixed my issue and believe me, I tried EVERYTHING I could find online man. Good luck and post back.

The oldest one (dated April) worked on the first try for me.

Lefank

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok here is what I did... Installed older version of wear app... Updated everything on the watch... Then factory reset the watch, then updated to latest android wear app while the watch was factory resetting, then turned off wifi cloud, synced the two together and works now on latest software. Gay... I know but it works now. Email me if you need help Scottknafel@gmail.com

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I paid $400 for a Titanium Citizen Eco-Drive. It tells me the time and date. It is solar powered, so it charges itself. Never has it ever had connection issues, because it doesn't connect to anything.

That's what my Note 4 is for. I am not embarrassed by my device enough to want to talk into my wrist, provided the watch is charged and isn't suffering any issues!

LeSaint

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I paid $400 for a Titanium Citizen Eco-Drive. It tells me the time and date. It is solar powered, so it charges itself. Never has it ever had connection issues, because it doesn't connect to anything.

That's what my Note 4 is for. I am not embarrassed by my device enough to want to talk into my wrist, provided the watch is charged and isn't suffering any issues!

Good for you!
Now, at only 4 posts, I guess you are here just to sh*t on something other peoples love.
Now just go on some fancy watches forum or I don't know, just go to work, those fancy watches doesn't come cheap!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary