Moto 360 v1 battery life terrible. Help?

OuIIim

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi all, I have a Moto 360 and a iPhone 5S and I take my Moto 360 off the charger in the morning and 1 hr later it's at 25%. But the thing is on airplane mode it will be at 95% really concerned can anyone help?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've never used it on an iPhone, but mine definitely doesn't do that. I can go a full weekend with moderate use on an Android, can't see why it would be any different on an iPhone.

Here's what I've done when battery life seems to go wacky: reset the watch. It'll wipe out data but since it's a watch, no biggie. I have noticed that sometimes after a software update battery life goes wonky, but that fixes things. I've also noticed that the watch will drain FAST if it's not in airplane mode and it can't find a valid bluetooth connection, so don't keep it too far from your phone or don't turn BT off on your phone unless you put the watch in airplane mode. Even if this was the case, however, I haven't seen a drain so dramatic in an hour, more like going from 100 to 80 percent in those cases.

OuIIim

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I've never used it on an iPhone, but mine definitely doesn't do that. I can go a full weekend with moderate use on an Android, can't see why it would be any different on an iPhone.

Here's what I've done when battery life seems to go wacky: reset the watch. It'll wipe out data but since it's a watch, no biggie. I have noticed that sometimes after a software update battery life goes wonky, but that fixes things. I've also noticed that the watch will drain FAST if it's not in airplane mode and it can't find a valid bluetooth connection, so don't keep it too far from your phone or don't turn BT off on your phone unless you put the watch in airplane mode. Even if this was the case, however, I haven't seen a drain so dramatic in an hour, more like going from 100 to 80 percent in those cases.
I've tried what you said, and I have many times before but doesn't seem to fix the problem, I'm not sure why it's so severe when Bluetooth is on

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like you might have a defective unit. Is it new? Is it still covered by warranty? My battery life has only gotten better with every OS update, but sometimes I do have to format it after the update itself to get that great battery life.

OuIIim

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like you might have a defective unit. Is it new? Is it still covered by warranty? My battery life has only gotten better with every OS update, but sometimes I do have to format it after the update itself to get that great battery life.

Thanks for your help, it's only a week old I might get it replaced. But I will reset it again and pair it with my old android phone and see if that does anything.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, and remember, it will take about a day for battery to settle, but definitely shouldn't see such a dramatic battery drop.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I would wait at least 2 weeks before returning. I remember my 360's battery greatly improved after a few weeks

Yeah, but not from an 75% drop in an hour! Unless you're actively and heavily using it or the watch is struggling to get a signal or updating apps constantly...

Al Henderson

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site

I had this happen with my 360 2nd gen. Went on a flight, put phone in aeroplane mode, but not watch. Got to the other end (1 hour flight) and watch was practically dead. It was probably around 90% to start with, but only had enough juice for an hour or so at the other end. So, yeah, always put the watch in aeroplane mode if you do so with the phone.

Al.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unless the iPhone turns off Bluetooth entirely when not actively connected, then that could explain why the watch loses so much battery.

Philip Zlotorynski

Jul 26, 2016
Visit site
Your watch is trying to update its software, and it's killing the battery.
I had the same problem and the issue is that your watch shipped with an older version of Android and needs to be updated, possibly TWICE, to get to the current version.
Unfortunately, at least with iOS, the download process is very slow and will kill your battery over and over until it's done. So here's what you need to do.

1. Make sure your watch is sufficiently charged but NOT on the changer, then go to settings-->about--->software update
2. The watch should show a blue bar indicating that it's downloading an update. This can take HOURS and you need to keep the watch on the charger or it will die long before the download is completed. I found the download process was so inefficient that the battery would DRAIN even with the watch on the charger!
3. Keep checking the download progress every 2-3 hours. When it's done, the watch will ask you if you're ready to install the update but you can only do that if the battery is charged to at least 80%.
4. The watch will install the software and restart maybe a couple of times.

For 1st gen models you need to do this whole process at least TWICE, one for the 5.5 update and again for the 6.0 update. Then, finally, your watch will stop draining your battery since it will no longer be constantly downloading updates.

This is a pretty nasty flaw in the way updates are handled with Android Wear, at least on iOS.

Happy updating!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01