Moto 360 Keeps Turning Off. Please Help!

Gordon D Miller

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
I have not used my watch in months. Last week I got it back out. I used it perfectly fine all week. It has been notifying me of the latest software update but I have not had time to update it. Now that I have finally updated the software a couple days ago I have been having the same issue with it shutting down at around 50% every day since the update. This is not a battery issue it is definitely something wrong with the software.

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Hmm... Bad battery? Or bad software? Or maybe it's a software update not playing nice with the battery it came with?

I have also been having this problem for the past couple of months, I would say it started in November and has gotten progressively worse; the watch is pretty much useless for me now. With that plus no AW 2.0 update for the 1st gen, I've just ordered a Huawei watch and am going to retire this one to the drawer.

Last edited:

MAK-VA

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I sent it back to Motorola to replace the battery, and its working perfectly once again.

(While I know I could have done the battery myself, I thought sending it to /\/\ would allow them to fix anything else that needed fixin' for the one time maintenance charge.)

HankB

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm with the folks who blame a bad battery. I've seen two posts that claim replacing the battery solves the problem. Mine shuts down when I run apps that cause a high battery drain. And frustratingly, it frequently does so when I try to look at the screen. The screen is a significant battery drain on the device and that just pushes it over the edge.

It looks like Lenovo/Moto want $100US to exchange for a refurb. I saw a refurb on Amazon for $85. And a replacement battery for ~$20. I'll go with a DIY battery replacement. If I screw that up, it's a new watch.

GC736

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Having had the exact same issue with my OG 360, I went ahead and replaced the battery. It has functioned like new ever since.

Dave Turner1

Mar 23, 2017
Visit site
Same issue here. First gen Moto 360. It seems it started acting up somewhere around November 2016 sometime after an update. I factory reset my phone and it seemed to work but as it receive updates it started having the issue where it would turn off randomly even at 90% battery. It will not turn on unless docked in charger. I did notice that when you factor reset it, it reboots but does not clear out the data so I had to do a hard factory reset. Either way, no change. it keeps shutting off. I will give the battery replacement a try. You would think there would be some sort of recal or something but I guess we are out of warranty.

Curious if anyone else had accidentally got the watch wet and saw the symptoms afterwards? Mine got slightly wet in rain. No cracks in sensor or anything else that I can tell.

VanMork

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
It recently just started happening with me and so I replaced the battery with a $20 replacement from Amazon. It wasn't an easy DIY and the watch is now much less water resistant, but I report the issue was fixed and I get more than a full day's use out of it with most apps and options on, so it appears it's an aging battery issue rather than a software one.

Zammo76

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Mine has started dying at about 14% to 20% everyday now. It started playing up after I factory reset my S7 Edge (which ironically also was having battery issues following the Android 7.0 update),

Mine also has another issue where the watch will not fully charge and stops at around 91%.

Going to try another watch reset and failing that buy a new battery.

Zammo76

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Went to factory reset my watch this morning and every time I do it the watch just switches off, when I stick it on the dock it hasn't reset. Plus I've noticed that there's markings on the watch face, which from what others are saying here is caused by the battery swelling.

I've decided to buy a replacement battery but the amazon seller who has them will not ship out of the US (as its apparently illegal to send lithium batteries overseas in the US). However I've managed to source a seller in the UK, here's the website if anyone else needs it:

And the battery has a 3 year warranty too and it looks like he ships world wide! The battery doesn't appear to come with the tools the other one has but I have loads of guitar picks and small tools so I shouldn't have any issues. Plus there's a few guides online on how to do it.

Ok I've edited this post and removed the link, as it would appear that the company are scam artists and haven't sent my goods despite taking my cash. I've googled them and they have bad reviews with people saying they are sending out counterfeit batteries which don't work.

Last edited:

Zammo76

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Its not really good though.

I've only had the watch about 2 years and I shouldn't have to replace the battery in that time. Plus what if I didn't? Could it potentially cause the watch to explode, like what was happening to the Galaxy Note 7 when the battery expanded on it?

Brickman409

Jul 7, 2017
Visit site
I have the same exact issue. It will shut off even though it's at 40%/50% and I've even seen the battery life drop while on the charger. This watch has just become a mess. It seems Motorola has given up on it and googled has just given up on Android Wear in general. Which is really a shame, because I loved the first two years of my moto 360. I'm thinking about maybe getting a Huawei watch, but that might just be a waste of money at this point.

Zammo76

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
So my battery that I ordered turned up. I didn't have any order confirmation and when I emailed the company didn't get a response. I also googled the company and they had some bad reviews so I assumed they'd stolen my cash. However two weeks later I got it.

I watched a few videos online and used the Mr fix it guide to work out how to install it and using a few tools I already had (small watch screw driver, guitar picks, tweezers, pin, plastic toothpick, pen knife and hair dryer) I was able to swap out the battery.

One thing I noticed none of the guides mentioned is when you remove the circuit board from the watch housing there are 4 little plastic spurs that drop out. These are used to secure the circuit board inside the watch housing and slot into grooves in the metal housing. However its literally impossible to get them back in when you re-assemble the watch, so I had to leave them out. Initially this didn't make any difference though I do now need to buy some adhesive to reseal the case. Also another issue I had which is worth noting is that the connectors are very small and fiddly and you must make sure they are fully plugged in otherwise the watch won't switch on. At first I thought the replacement battery was duff but then I took the watch back apart and noticed I didn't have it fully plugged in. The battery also required charging once installed, even though it had about 27% power it needed the initial kick from the charger to make it switch on.

Here's a few pictures:
First one is me removing the back off the watch (I heated it up for about 5 minutes with a hairdryer to loosen the back off):
20170706_092035.jpg

Back off:
20170706_092154.jpg

Two parts separated:
20170706_100022.jpg

Circuit board out, note the old swollen battery:
20170706_100440.jpg

Battery removed from circuit board, it was stuck down with a bit of glue, which thankfully remained sticky for the new battery:
20170706_100759.jpg

So far the battery seems a lot better and when I went to charge my watch last night I had 38% power left, which is opposed to the watch running out by about 6 pm with the old battery. The main problem is that the watch circuit board is very loose and moves about, so I need to buy some more adhesive to re-secure it, its also possible that the spurs not being re-fitted are causing this. Also the button on the watch isn't functioning, mainly because you need to precisely line up the button with the circuit board, which I obviously haven't done, but I can easily get by without the button. I'll do some more fiddling when I get the adhesive and may even make another attempt at re-fitting the spurs.

I don't think google have given up on Android Wear. There's the LG Sport and Style and also the Huawei Watch 2. Only trouble is barring the cut down feature wise LG Style these are very big watches.

Last edited:

Zammo76

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
My watch face since I swapped out the battery has been a little loose, so much so that my daughter managed to pull the watch face off once when she was swinging on my arm. So I decided to work out how to secure it properly. I found a video on youtube, which although not that thorough did point to how the 4 little plastic spurs (which I didn't put back in the watch) are used to secure the watch face. I had to re-insert these plastic spurs in order to make the watch have a tight seal again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw3n5qbGv-I&feature=youtu.be

Basically you don't have to do a lot of what I did (in my previous post above this) to open up the watch. Instead just remove the watch straps and then with a bent pin or paper clip insert it into the small hole next to where the watch pin goes that you see in the watch strap recess, then you should be able to pull the plastic spur out. There's two of these in each watch strap recess (so 4 in total). Once you do this the body of the watch should detach from the face. Then follow the rest of the tutorial from Step 6 on ifix it to replace the battery (its not necessary to remove the O-ring either).

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Motorola+Moto+360+Battery+Replacement/37852

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37