Moto E: 4.4.4 Update

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Looks like Motorola stopped all 4.4.3 rollouts due to the OpenSSL bug.

Here's an update from David Schuster of Motorola on Google+:

Sorry for the delay in giving an update on the 4.4.3 upgrades but I had to wait unit Google announced KitKat 4.4.4 today (I am bound by a NDA). A significant security vulnerability was discovered by OpenSSL (https://www.openssl.org/news/secadv_20140605.txt) and is fixed in KitKat 4.4.4. We had to wait until KitKat 4.4.4 became available. Consequently, all of our 4.4.3 upgrades that were in carrier labs worldwide (including the 2013 Droid's) had to be respun, tested and resubmitted again. This was a significant unplanned effort that we had to undertake. We should be re-entering labs next week and hopefully getting TA (technical approval) in 3 to 5 weeks later depending on the carrier.

glove4

May 19, 2012
Visit site
I hope when Motorola promises a guaranteed upgrade for the E it includes Android 5.0, and doesn't end with these minor KitKat updates.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I hope when Motorola promises a guaranteed upgrade for the E it includes Android 5.0, and doesn't end with these minor KitKat updates.

Posted via Android Central App

The way they've worded everything about updates for the Moto E makes me believe that the one promised upgrade will be the one that takes us into "L". These minor updates are just a bonus.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

JoseGui

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Fwiw, my Moto E (global gsm model, US) got 4.4.4 last evening. Wasn't expecting it, and I don't notice any real difference. Hope it gets L later, and in the meantime, it continues to be as good a value as I could possibly ask.

jidery

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I really hope they don't forget about the e because it's such a perfect starter phone. Bought one for my mom and she loves it.