Keyboard disappeared, going to language and input crashes settings. How can I fix this?

causerm

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Keyboard disappeared, going to language and input crashes settings

Hi. I have a new Moto E and just setting up the phone. The keyboard was working fine but at some point today the keyboard has disappeared so only voice recognition comes up on any text entry field. I have tried to go to settings>language and input but this crashes settings. Message is "unfortunately, Settings has stopped". The phone number ported to this phone today. And this morning the google app was asking me some questions about preferences. I've tried rebooting.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Keyboard disappeared, going to language and input crashes settings

Welcome to Android Central! Have you already installed some 3rd party apps? Try uninstalling them, or boot into Safe Mode, to see if that's the problem: Motorola Moto E - Enter safe mode

causerm

May 27, 2015
Visit site

Thanks. Safe mode didn't change things. I've now uninstalled Zite, Three and Mobile banking app. No change. What's next? resetting phone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

It's a bit concerning that a system app is crashing even in Safe Mode. Although it probably doesn't matter, try unmounting the microSD card (if present; in Settings>Storage), and remove it. If that doesn't help, then a factory reset might be the next step.

causerm

May 27, 2015
Visit site

Thanks. Concerning is one word but several others came to mind. I reset it and it's working again. Fingers crossed.

Mary Nielsen

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
The keyboard is disabled. I just fixed this problem. Go to Settings > Apps > Disabled. Swipe to the left to get to the disabled tab. There you should find the keyboard disabled. Tap on it to enable it. :)

A

Android Central Question

You Mary Nielsen are a genius! I tried your solution and got my keyboard back! Thank you!!!

You Mary Nielsen are a genius! I tried your solution and got my keyboard back! Thank you!!!

Didn't know how else to get this message to you

Last edited by a moderator:

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I merged that thank you post into this thread. Thanks to belodion for tracking this thread down!