Storage problems/confusion

sushifor5

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi all, I'm new here...just got a Moto E for Verizon prepaid... I'm trying to learn the new system. My only other smartphone was an old LG version on Virgin Mobile, which I rooted (only because forum people are awesome) and I used Link2sd so I could have tons of apps without eating up phone storage. Now I'm getting messages on my new Moto that my phone is just about full, and I don't have tons of apps, and I've moved most apps to the SD card. So my initial concern is that this phone just can't house a lot of apps? I miss having root capabilities, but we can't root Verizon moto E, is that correct? I'm noticing that amazon music app is taking up a lot of space. I can't figure out where my music is going when I download to device. i'd like to put it on SD card, but when I try to move it there, I don't see anything to move. Using ES File Explorer is a bit like reading a foreign language, LOL...I'm not good with tech stuff. Can anyone tell me how to decipher where things are going on my phone, like music and book files? And how I can make sure files are going to SD card and not lingering on phone storage? And how I can see what actually is on phone storage? I have looked at "storage" in the settings, but it is a general overview and I need to know what is where and how I can move it. Thanks in advance!

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Go under settings-storage, you will see a button that will transfer your music, movies, and pictures to the SD card. Also while you're in there, click where it says cache. That will let you clear that out in one click.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

sushifor5

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I did do the "move music etc" thru the storage option, but it said there was nothing to move. Then I noticed that my amazon mp3 music app had grown to 4 GB...I'm assuming it's because the music is being stored somehow internally thru that app? So that caused me to start looking at the ES File Explorer to understand what was going on, which, of course, I don't, LOL. And I see on sd card these different options...SD Card 0, SD Card 1, emulated storage, etc...and it's quite confusing. Do you know where amazon stores the music and book files on the phone? Thanks!

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
It will default to the internal memory, listed as SD card. Your actual SD card will be listed as "sdcard1." My Amazon music app hasn't gotten bigger than maybe 200 mb, you should check the settings because it sounds like instead of just streaming the music you're downloading it.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

sushifor5

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, I was purposely downloading the albums so I could play the music while I was not connected to 4g or wifi... And I thought I should be able to download and put the songs on the sd card. So, the phone's internal memory is also called sd card? that's confusing...

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it is. The internal storage is recognized as sdcard0, the actual card is recognized as sdcard1.

Sent from my XT1528