According to Motorola's blog the 2015 Moto E is not slated to receive the next Android update.
    They DO say that the list isn't final and that things may change.
    My kid is gonna be quite upset with this news.

Marshmallow and S’more - The Official Motorola Blog
    79roxannerivera likes this.
    10-02-2015 12:51 PM
    Doesn't seem like it. Although they do say...

Now, we know the question that’s on everyone’s minds. Right now we have plans to upgrade the following Motorola devices1. Things may change, so please refer to our software upgrade page for the latest, and specifics by country:
    So there is still a chance .
    10-02-2015 12:53 PM
    10-02-2015 05:05 PM
    Would be nice if they told us why not.
    10-02-2015 06:41 PM
    Would be nice if they told us why not.
    My guess it has to do with it being entry level phone. Most owners won't care that their E doesn't have 6.0 or even knows it's existence. Yes, those of us on here do but majority of them that own it don't. My son has an E as well as my neighbor across the street. I can tell you the last thing on his mind when he is using it whether or not it's getting the latest version of Android. Trust me it sucks and if the 3rd Gen G was on the same boat I would be upset too. It's just my best guess as in why it's not.
    10-02-2015 07:50 PM
    Doesn't surprise me. They still haven't been able to get Lollipop to all the devices they said would get that last year.

A few of their 5.0 soak tests / test drives have been pretty much abandoned with Moto just ignoring testers for several months and leaving them with buggy and unstable phones.

The people who deal with Motorola everyday have really noticed the change since Lenovo took over and its not for the better.
    bcandiolo likes this.
    10-03-2015 04:50 AM
    Frankly, if they know what's good for them, they'll update it. They've made this image for themselves as an OEM that keeps phones up to date pretty quickly. Abandoning an 8 month old phone by not providing even a single major OS upgrade is catastrophic to their consumer trust. I have a 2nd gen E precisely because I expected the updates that Motorola is known for. I didn't buy a 3rd gen G because the 2nd gen E is so similar hardware wise, so there's no reason for me to spend more or for them to not release the update.

What's worse, this coincides with Motorola being now owned by Lenovo and it makes me quite suspicious of the latter. I was thinking of getting a Yoga Pro 3 next month but after this, now I'm very reluctant to give Lenovo a grand if they're leaving my phone out in the cold. If this is the treatment that they're going to give their customers, I'll give Google my money for a phone and Microsoft for a Surface Pro.

Consumer trust is hard to build and very easy to disintegrate. I hope, for Moto/Lenovo's own good, they deliver 6.0 for the 2nd gen E.
    10-04-2015 12:13 AM
    Consumer trust is hard to build and very easy to disintegrate. I hope, for Moto/Lenovo's own good, they deliver 6.0 for the 2nd gen E.
    True, absolutely true.
    11-27-2015 12:05 PM
    Looks like they have changed their mind! They updated their Marshmallow update post today. So only the 4G version gets the update for the 2nd generation e. Also doesn't look like the American version will get the update.
    12-08-2015 08:03 PM
    Yeah, I saw that, too in the marshmallow schedule:

2015 Moto E with 4G LTE in Latin America, Canada, Europe and Asia2 (2nd Gen) [Motorola - Marshmallow site]

But there's no indication on the site about scheduling. Could be far, far away.
    12-29-2015 04:18 PM
    It's strange that Latin America and Canada get Marshmallow, but not the USA. We want it, too.
    02-13-2016 03:01 PM
    Yes nice to see for the Canadian variant, but odd not for our neighbours to the south in USA.
    My Moto E LTE is originally a Rogers device, won in an online contest. I unlocked it to be able to use while in the US. However never been a Rogers customer so no SIM from them. How would I go about getting the Marshmallow update when it actually does become available? As it doesn't seem to be in a rush to get the update, even though India got theirs in February.

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-14-2016 01:52 PM
    I posted something and it didn't post

So I have an originally branded Rogers Moto E LTE from a contest, and I unlocked it to use when travelling to US as example.

I'm not a Rogers customer., so don't have a Rogers SIM, and my carrier (MTS) didn't carry this device. How do I go about the Marshmallow upgrade when it becomes available at some point ? Canadian carriers that carries this device don't seem to be in a hurry to release it, like most the devices. Lol. But India has the Marshmallow update for this device already.

03-14-2016 02:06 PM
    My Moto E just updated to 6.0. I'm with Bell
    04-02-2016 03:47 PM
    Yes! Got the update. Mine is unlocked, originally Rogers, no SIM card, WiFi on and it updated...couple days ago!

Ry likes this.
    04-02-2016 03:51 PM
    Some good news for you I hope. I just received my moto e 2nd gen upgrade to 6.0 marshmallow. And the best part of it is charging the battery or should I say NOT charging the battery
    04-12-2016 07:10 PM
    My co-worker will not be too happy if he doesn't get it
    04-12-2016 07:16 PM