Just this past week only, I've been unable to receive mms messages without turning off wifi to download them. My phone is a Moto E (2nd gen) running Lollipop. I've looked around in the android settings as well as the message app settings (using the Messenger app by Google) and there doesn't seem to be any options that will help. I've tried doing a soft reset a couple times to no avail. Am I missing something? Is there something I need to adjust in my APN settings? It's also strange that there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to why this all the sudden happened.
    11-26-2015 05:27 PM
    No android phone has been able to receive MMS via wifi. It must be carrier network unless you are on a third party app that doesn't use your phone number and uses their own servers.
    11-26-2015 05:49 PM
    I decided to make an account, so I'm the OP.

One thing I failed to add to this was that I'm through Cricket Wireless.

Also I do not mean that I'm trying to receive MMS text through wifi only. My data is also on. I understand that I can't get mms through wifi but I should be able to get mms while wifi is on. It would be an incredible pain to turn off your wifi every bloomin time you get an mms (That even means when someone decides to tac on a couple emojis at the end of the their text - which people seem to do 90% of the time). Plus my wife and in-laws can still get mms on their phones - same exact phones, same exact plan, and yes 100% sure they're all on wifi. And no they are not using any third party apps - we're talking about the messaging app that comes default with the phone. Further more all of my co-workers (at least the ones with data plans) are able to receive mms and group texts among each other without constantly switching off of the work wifi over and over again.

In the passed day the issue has become worse. Now I can't even send/receive mms messages with wifi off. (where as before I could at least turn off wifi temporarily to read my texts). I contacted cricket support and went through a gauntlet of attempted fixes to find out that I probably have a bad SIM card that needs to be replaced at my local cricket store. So this whole issue may not fit my original question any longer - meaning my mms may not have been failing to download merely because my wifi was on.

I'm going to post a reply here tomorrow once I get a chance to visit the cricket store. I've seen several others else where on the web with what appeared to be very similar to my current issue - so maybe this can help.
    11-27-2015 01:32 PM
    So I was able to make it out to Cricket Wireless today. I wound up not getting a new SIM card - I would have had to pay for another SIM card to be activated (which I did not expect, since my phone is still under warranty). They told me even if the new SIM card didn't work I couldn't refund the new SIM, so before doing so I decided to do a factory reset as a last ditch effort. The factory reset worked. I was finally able to send/receive mms messages not only with just data on, but also while wifi was on and active as well.

But the story doesn't quite end there. I had to set my phone up and download all of my apps again. After downloading all of my apps and updating everything accordingly the same exact problem was back to rear it's ugly face once again. So after deleting a few apps in an effort to find a conflicting app (with no success) I decided to do yet another factory reset. Once again mms messaging worked again as expected. So now I've been in the process of adding one app at a time testing mms each time I add an app.

I'm not 100% positive but I believe the problem child was the 3rd party messenger app I was using (messenger made by google). I didn't download this app but instead set Hangouts as my default sms sender/receiver. Once I set my sms with Hangouts the same exact problems I had before began to occur. So I set my phone back to it's default messaging app and I was able to send/receive mms just as I had after the factory reset. This strikes me as a little strange because I did a little bit of troubleshooting with my 3rd party messenger very early when I first encountered issues with my messaging.

For now I'm going to call that the culprit of my messaging problems, but as I continue to add more of my apps back I'll report back to this thread if need be. But hopefully that's the last I see of my mms problems
    11-28-2015 08:33 PM
    When diagnosing these kinds of problems it is best to load an app, test , then load the the next app. That way you can pinpoint the app that is causing the problem.
    12-03-2015 12:39 PM
    Bro, I have the same EXACT issue! People do not "GET IT"...

On LG V-10 Unlocked using Cricket as well. I think its because Verizon allows text via wifi, it won't let our MMS go through as its trying something with the wifi which won't work. I already bought the "unlocked phone" added custom cricket apn, even changed to this, read: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoContract/..._wireless_mms/

I am rooted, surprise there is no way to force LTE and WCDMA to get the LTE I pay for on this unlocked Verizon LG-V10. However, that is the least of my worries, I just want to get MMS and send them when on wifi at home without having to toggle it on and off, makes zero sense, everybody is blaming Cricket, it just may be the Verizon phone and since I am rooted, must be a way to fix it with a script to tell it to use DATA to send NOT WIFI!

However, I have yet to find it and the blame is on Cricket STILL..

What did you end up doing or figuring out? I am going CRAZY...

PS: Love the V10 (Stayed on 5.1.1 I could root) and if I knew would of been an issue, would have bought an AT & T version but saw this and said unlocked, everything else works. Its nuts! Zero answer. I see something saying mms setting in titanium I am about to freeze it to see if it screws me or not, it must be versions software side of doing things? People keep saying use Textra app or Chomp but I do not want to. I like Signal. I would settle for the on board messenger if it worked with MMS while on wifi. If I change one setting to get 4g I can not call or text and the other vice versa as tried everything.

Main issue: I just want to remain on wifi auto when in bounds but have mms send via data like it should and receive auto when they come in versus making me turn off my wifi and using up all my data as forget to turn it back on for something else. MAKE ZERO SENSE. I want to be schooled!! I hope somebody schools me here on XDA!
    12-26-2016 03:30 AM