Moto E5 Play: Microphone doesn't work on installed apps.

Cookid621

Jul 30, 2020
Visit site
Basically just the title, not sure what else to add. Mic works fine with no issues in camera, but all downloaded apps (discord, ok google, voice assistant, ect) won't detect or hear it. Only thing I can add is that I got the phone off ebay used, but it's really good condition with no beatups, and I don't even think physical damage would do this. So kinda lost

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Apps​, select one of those apps, and make sure Microphone permission is turned on.

Also, try taking a video with plenty of sound, then watch the video with headphones. Do you hear equal stereo sound? If you only hear sound from one channel, then one of your mics is blocked or faulty, and that may be the mic that the apps are trying to use.

Cookid621

Jul 30, 2020
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Apps​, select one of those apps, and make sure Microphone permission is turned on.

Also, try taking a video with plenty of sound, then watch the video with headphones. Do you hear equal stereo sound? If you only hear sound from one channel, then one of your mics is blocked or faulty, and that may be the mic that the apps are trying to use.

Checked settings, discord has it on but ok google (assistant) doesn't even show up in apps for some reason so I can't check that one. Recorded a video and transferred to my PC since i have higher quality headphones, and there is audio on both sides but I think it's mono. I can't seem to tell a difference between the two sides and when recording, audio only gets louder at the top of my phone and there appears to be microphones on both the top and bottom on the phone. So if the case is that one microphone is blocked, how can I default to my working mic?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Since it doesn't work in Safe Mode, then it's most likely a hardware issue. First, if the phone is in a case, take it out and see if the problem persists. Next, carefully clean out the primary and secondary microphone openings. If that still doesn't help, then you'd probably have to bring the phone to a repair shop.

Cookid621

Jul 30, 2020
Visit site
Since it doesn't work in Safe Mode, then it's most likely a hardware issue. First, if the phone is in a case, take it out and see if the problem persists. Next, carefully clean out the primary and secondary microphone openings. If that still doesn't help, then you'd probably have to bring the phone to a repair shop.

Alright well I tried blowing on them and even carefully using a dampened but dried toothpick, but it didnt change anything. But I did notice something; I tried downloading a stereo sound mic recorder (which didnt even work still used the bottom mic) and found that when I blew into the mic, sound came through. I was able to achieve a pretty quiet recording of my voice by yelling really loud. So the mic still works, but its extremely muffled or something. I don't know what type of damage would cause this but there appears to be no water damage stickers on the phone that I can see of so I can't check for that type of damage I suppose. Repair shop is out of the cards for me since that's gonna cost quite a lot for such a cheap phone, so I'm trying to solve this manually.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In case there's some residue stuck in the mic openings, you could try flooding them with rubbing alcohol, which wouldn't damage any of the internals.

Cookid621

Jul 30, 2020
Visit site
In case there's some residue stuck in the mic openings, you could try flooding them with rubbing alcohol, which wouldn't damage any of the internals.

Got a dropper and put in 2 drops, waiting a bit inbetween because 1 seemed to fill, dried the outsides with a towel and gave it a minute to dry by itself on the inside before blowing a little to help, no noticeable effect. I guess it must be an issue with actual parts in the mic?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair