E4 VZW - Android System keeps draining my battery, how to investigate?

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As the title said, for the last week, my phone battery sucks, and it turns out it's the Android System.

I have owned this phone since Jan 2018, so it's been ~8 months and no problem with Android System and battery until the past last week when suddenly it starts doing this.

Steps I have taken
1. I have updated to the latest OS update (Security Patch 1 July 2018).
2. I have also restart and reboot the phone, Delete Cache (from Storage Settings AND from Android Recovery Mode).

I also tried to SHOW CPU in Developer options, but I can not find SHOW CPU toggle (where is it?)

Usually after restart the phone, the battery stabilize, then the Android System kicks in again as you can see from the battery usage graph.

I can not figure out which Android System that drains the battery.

Maybe someone can help how to investigate and disable it?

Thanks.
Screenshot_20180824-093347.png
Screenshot_20180824-093336.png

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. According to that graph, the battery will give you about 54 hours from 100% to 0% (which is bad way to kill a battery, but that's a different subject). That happens to be very good for an Android phone. Most people would be happy to get a full 8 hours.

2. Android System is most of the software running the phone - Linux and and all the things that run in the background in a computer. They're not separate pieces, you can't turn some on and others off. If you turn Android System off, the phone stops. The big thing that usually causes short recharge times is the Phone idle which, in your case is excellent.

(As you go from earlier versions of Android to later versions, different separate apps have been combined into Android System, so it shows a larger percentage of battery use - but all the other apps aren't there using battery, Android System is doing it. The same usage, just under a different name. And it's only used 12% of your battery [that's 19% of the 65% used, not 19% of the total battery power].)

gameson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response. This phone is used as a backup phone, as you can see, there are no other apps running.

Prior to this, I can get up to 5 days of standby time, but now every 2 days I have to charge the phone, and this is due to the Android System that never consume battery this much before.